Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > XP 64 vs. S.M.A.R.T. - strange errors?

XP 64 vs. S.M.A.R.T. - strange errors?

=?Utf-8?B?V2VpbmU=?=

Hi all!

I installed x64 on my SATA-II, and everything worked great. After a few
days, I thougt I'd try out the SMART-mode that my HD supported, and hence
turned it on in the BIOS.

Doing that, Windows fails to load. Missing \system32\... or something like
that.

Turning off SMART again in the BIOS removes this error, and Windows loads
once again, with no problem whatsoever.

What am I doing wrong? Doesn't Win like SMART?

Andre Da Costa

I have never heard of SMART, what is suppose to do, teach Windows a lesson?
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
"Weine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all!
>
> I installed x64 on my SATA-II, and everything worked great. After a few
> days, I thougt I'd try out the SMART-mode that my HD supported, and hence
> turned it on in the BIOS.
>
> Doing that, Windows fails to load. Missing \system32\... or something like
> that.
>
> Turning off SMART again in the BIOS removes this error, and Windows loads
> once again, with no problem whatsoever.
>
> What am I doing wrong? Doesn't Win like SMART?

Rick

It may be that turning on S.M.A.R.T. after Windows is installed makes
some change on the HDD that cause problems. I have always turned it on
before installing and never encountered any problems.

You might turn on S.M.A.R.T. and try doing a Repair install after
booting the install CD. You wait until after you press F8 to accept the
EULA. If the current installation is recognized, you should be offered
the option to Repair it.

Weine wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I installed x64 on my SATA-II, and everything worked great. After a few
> days, I thougt I'd try out the SMART-mode that my HD supported, and hence
> turned it on in the BIOS.
>
> Doing that, Windows fails to load. Missing \system32\... or something like
> that.
>
> Turning off SMART again in the BIOS removes this error, and Windows loads
> once again, with no problem whatsoever.
>
> What am I doing wrong? Doesn't Win like SMART?

Colin Barnhorst

It monitors the health of a hard disk.

"Andre Da Costa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have never heard of SMART, what is suppose to do, teach Windows a lesson?
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
> "Weine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi all!
>>
>> I installed x64 on my SATA-II, and everything worked great. After a few
>> days, I thougt I'd try out the SMART-mode that my HD supported, and hence
>> turned it on in the BIOS.
>>
>> Doing that, Windows fails to load. Missing \system32\... or something
>> like
>> that.
>>
>> Turning off SMART again in the BIOS removes this error, and Windows loads
>> once again, with no problem whatsoever.
>>
>> What am I doing wrong? Doesn't Win like SMART?

Colin Barnhorst

SMART = Self Monitoring Analysis & Reporting Technology. Sorry, I meant to
include that in my reply.

"Andre Da Costa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have never heard of SMART, what is suppose to do, teach Windows a lesson?
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
> "Weine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi all!
>>
>> I installed x64 on my SATA-II, and everything worked great. After a few
>> days, I thougt I'd try out the SMART-mode that my HD supported, and hence
>> turned it on in the BIOS.
>>
>> Doing that, Windows fails to load. Missing \system32\... or something
>> like
>> that.
>>
>> Turning off SMART again in the BIOS removes this error, and Windows loads
>> once again, with no problem whatsoever.
>>
>> What am I doing wrong? Doesn't Win like SMART?

=?Utf-8?B?V2VpbmU=?=

Ah, that may very well be it. I tried starting the install again, and opening
a recovery prompt. I ran chkdsk and it gave me a lot of cr*p, so I guess
something is in fact changed.

Does a repair install remove every little thing I've installed, or does it
only affect Windows-components?

And thanks for the idea!

"Rick" wrote:

> It may be that turning on S.M.A.R.T. after Windows is installed makes
> some change on the HDD that cause problems. I have always turned it on
> before installing and never encountered any problems.
>
> You might turn on S.M.A.R.T. and try doing a Repair install after
> booting the install CD. You wait until after you press F8 to accept the
> EULA. If the current installation is recognized, you should be offered
> the option to Repair it.
>

> Weine wrote:
> > Hi all!
> >
> > I installed x64 on my SATA-II, and everything worked great. After a few
> > days, I thougt I'd try out the SMART-mode that my HD supported, and hence
> > turned it on in the BIOS.
> >
> > Doing that, Windows fails to load. Missing \system32\... or something like
> > that.
> >
> > Turning off SMART again in the BIOS removes this error, and Windows loads
> > once again, with no problem whatsoever.
> >
> > What am I doing wrong? Doesn't Win like SMART?

=?Utf-8?B?V2VpbmU=?=

Sadly, no.

Self monitoring a recovery technology, perhaps? Some acronym, anyway. For
HD-self monitoring and repair.

"Andre Da Costa" wrote:

> I have never heard of SMART, what is suppose to do, teach Windows a lesson?
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
> "Weine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi all!
> >
> > I installed x64 on my SATA-II, and everything worked great. After a few
> > days, I thougt I'd try out the SMART-mode that my HD supported, and hence
> > turned it on in the BIOS.
> >
> > Doing that, Windows fails to load. Missing \system32\... or something like
> > that.
> >
> > Turning off SMART again in the BIOS removes this error, and Windows loads
> > once again, with no problem whatsoever.
> >
> > What am I doing wrong? Doesn't Win like SMART?

Andre Da Costa

Ahh, I see, thanks, I guess its only compatible with 32-bit Windows or
Weines BIOS needs to be updated to support it.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
news:O%(E-Mail Removed)...
> SMART = Self Monitoring Analysis & Reporting Technology. Sorry, I meant
> to include that in my reply.
>
> "Andre Da Costa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have never heard of SMART, what is suppose to do, teach Windows a
>>lesson?
>> --
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>> "Weine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi all!
>>>
>>> I installed x64 on my SATA-II, and everything worked great. After a few
>>> days, I thougt I'd try out the SMART-mode that my HD supported, and
>>> hence
>>> turned it on in the BIOS.
>>>
>>> Doing that, Windows fails to load. Missing \system32\... or something
>>> like
>>> that.
>>>
>>> Turning off SMART again in the BIOS removes this error, and Windows
>>> loads
>>> once again, with no problem whatsoever.
>>>
>>> What am I doing wrong? Doesn't Win like SMART?

Rick

It should only reinstall the OS and leave other installed programs as
they are. I don't remember for sure if I had to redo chipset, sound,
network, CPU, video, etc. drivers or not.

I know I have a situation with some MBs right now with the updated BIOS
that is supposed to support AMD stepping E6. There is no problem with
E3 or E4 CPUs. With the most current BIOS and a step E6 CPU, I get all
kinds of errors trying to install drivers, and then booting up. But if
I revert back to the 1st edition of the BIOS, Windows boots with no
errors. So, in my case, it is not actual corruption of files on the
drive, it's a problem with processing the stuff in memory.

Weine wrote:
> Ah, that may very well be it. I tried starting the install again, and opening
> a recovery prompt. I ran chkdsk and it gave me a lot of cr*p, so I guess
> something is in fact changed.
>
> Does a repair install remove every little thing I've installed, or does it
> only affect Windows-components?
>
> And thanks for the idea!
>
> "Rick" wrote:
>
>> It may be that turning on S.M.A.R.T. after Windows is installed makes
>> some change on the HDD that cause problems. I have always turned it on
>> before installing and never encountered any problems.
>>
>> You might turn on S.M.A.R.T. and try doing a Repair install after
>> booting the install CD. You wait until after you press F8 to accept the
>> EULA. If the current installation is recognized, you should be offered
>> the option to Repair it.
>>

>> Weine wrote:
>>> Hi all!
>>>
>>> I installed x64 on my SATA-II, and everything worked great. After a few
>>> days, I thougt I'd try out the SMART-mode that my HD supported, and hence
>>> turned it on in the BIOS.
>>>
>>> Doing that, Windows fails to load. Missing \system32\... or something like
>>> that.
>>>
>>> Turning off SMART again in the BIOS removes this error, and Windows loads
>>> once again, with no problem whatsoever.
>>>
>>> What am I doing wrong? Doesn't Win like SMART?

ChrisC

Hi, as I understand it SMART only supports IDE drives, then I might be
wrong...
ChrisC