Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > nLite - Attention, Norman Brooks!

nLite - Attention, Norman Brooks!

Tony Sperling

Hi, Norman.

A while back, you threw in a few good words for the benefit of nLite, and I
was mighty impressed by what you said. Having your actual running setup
available as an ordinary install CD, sounded very tempting, but also a bit
daunting - the sort of job that someone, such as I, would have to ponder.

I have now installed nLite, and have had it prepare an installation setup,
that at this moment sits in a folder on my HD. It offered me the opportunity
to add other stuff to the installation, but since there is no help file or
documentation I am not at all sure of what is actually on that installation,
and I would naturally want to give it a spin and see if it is working as
intended befor starting to rely on it as a form of security. But I am not
prepared to zap my partition to find out!

Is it correct to assume that what has been saved, can be expected to be the
system, such as I installed it and have it running right now - drivers and
all - and that is what is now ready to be burned to CD? I checked a box that
mentioned the active system, or something. Is it reasonable to assume that
anything extra, could be any of the apps that I have installed? But, after I
burn it, how can you check it? I wouldn't want to rely on it and when
disaster strikes, find out that I was expecting things it couldn't deliver.
Any suggestions on what would be useful to throw in at the last moment?

The app itself, was very impressive, well built, good clean layout, smooth
operation - yes, I liked it very much!

Tony. . .

Norman Brooks

At some point you have to take a chance, whether it is with Partion Magic,
Drive Image, Ghost or whatever !

Personally, I live and die with Drive Image - I have recovered from several
big problems at the silicon based, carbon unit interface !

Here's what I suggest to anyone who asks, some do, few follow through ...

Keep your C: drive at 10Gigs
Install ONLY what you absolutely need on your C: drive i.e. XP, drivers,
absolute must have utilities. Nothing else. Install all other software on
another drive.
My 0 drive is a WD74GD and it is partioned C: 10G, D: 60 something. A
WDC1600JS, and 2000JS fill out the SATA for storage.

Because the C: drive is so small, I can back it up in 1minute 40 seconds if
I don't verify, 2mins 26 secs if I do. Because the resulting images are
small (2 gigs or less) I can store one or two a day.

If the backups are small, you'll do them. If it takes a half hour and you
start wondering where you're gonna store it, you won't !

Once you trust your backups, you have no problem trying anything. The latest
gee whiz video driver or latest version of Linux. Who cares, only takes five
minutes to put everything back.

I use Karen's REPLICATOR to backup all my intermediate files every hour or
so.

Once you're sure your installation disk is complete, use EZ CD or NERO or
whatever your favorite program is and make an image. You can then boot, hit
the ANY key when it asks if you want to boot off the CD and proceed up to
the point where you are asked if you want to continue with the
format/installation/repair or F3 to exit. You can quit there REASONABLY sure
that you can AT LEAST install XP from the disk.

The long and the short of it Tony is this - you will have to take a chance
at some point ! Hope I've been of some help. Now I have to go get those
Mouse droppings someone says are actually available now ! ttyl

Good luck.

Norm

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...