Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Access Denied Error while Installing Drivers

Access Denied Error while Installing Drivers

=?Utf-8?B?RGFsbGFzIEIu?=

Hey everyone..

I have a situation here that I would be most appreaciative if someone could
help me out in any way.

On a clients machine of mine, I was performing an update for Timberline. I
was doing the end of year update to version 9.1.4. During the installation,
the Installer crashed. After I rebooted the machine, it had broked it's RAID,
and the Installer service has stopped working. In Device Manager, it shows
that the drivers for the processor, DVD burner, and PCI to ISA Bridge are
"not installed correctly". But the cd drive still recognizes discs.

When you go to install the diver, at the end of the installation, it gives
you a "Access Denied" error. I would give you a accurate decription of the
error, but it also killed the Application Log in the Event Viewer, with the
error messege of this:

Unable to complete the operation on “Application”. The security descriptor
structure is invalid.

But thats another story. Anyways.. I tried setting the log on acces of the
Installer service to the administrator account, but to no avail. Installed
the newest version of the Installer, and still no avail. I've ran accross
this kind of problem with a normal XP machine, and it required a clean
install to fix. Short of doing just that, and rebuilding the RAID, I'm
stumped. If anyone feels like throwing in there two cents, I would be most
gratefull. If a more precise decription of the exact scenerio is wanted, feel
free to ask. Thanks in advance.

Tony Sperling

There is not necessarily anything wrong with the RAID itself - you could
have lost the RAID driver. I wonder if I wouldn't attempt to do a System
Restore, before panicking! Or, a Repair Install - keep the driver ready if
you used it the first time.

System Restore, if you have not tried it, displays a list of dates that you
can chose to revert to. Pick the nearest date that you are certain was
without any errors. The process can fail, it takes hour to find out, just
back further down the list and try again until you hit one that works, you
loose hour every time, when you make the hit you'll be up in a couple of
minutes.

Tony.. .

"Dallas B." <Dallas (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey everyone..
>
> I have a situation here that I would be most appreaciative if someone
> could
> help me out in any way.
>
> On a clients machine of mine, I was performing an update for Timberline. I
> was doing the end of year update to version 9.1.4. During the
> installation,
> the Installer crashed. After I rebooted the machine, it had broked it's
> RAID,
> and the Installer service has stopped working. In Device Manager, it shows
> that the drivers for the processor, DVD burner, and PCI to ISA Bridge are
> "not installed correctly". But the cd drive still recognizes discs.
>
> When you go to install the diver, at the end of the installation, it gives
> you a "Access Denied" error. I would give you a accurate decription of the
> error, but it also killed the Application Log in the Event Viewer, with
> the
> error messege of this:
>
> Unable to complete the operation on "Application". The security descriptor
> structure is invalid.
>
> But thats another story. Anyways.. I tried setting the log on acces of the
> Installer service to the administrator account, but to no avail. Installed
> the newest version of the Installer, and still no avail. I've ran accross
> this kind of problem with a normal XP machine, and it required a clean
> install to fix. Short of doing just that, and rebuilding the RAID, I'm
> stumped. If anyone feels like throwing in there two cents, I would be most
> gratefull. If a more precise decription of the exact scenerio is wanted,
> feel
> free to ask. Thanks in advance.

=?Utf-8?B?RGFsbGFzIEIu?=

I did try to reinstall the RAID driver, but it gives me the error of access
denied when i try to. I havent attempted the System Restore, now that you
have mentioned it. I will try that out and hope it works. Have never had to
much luck with the restore, but it's worth a shot. I'll repost here later
with the outcome of it. Thank you for your help.

Dallas