Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Dual Boot problem?

Dual Boot problem?

David McColgan

I have a Asus P5WD2 motherboard with 1 WD 250GB Sata 2 drive installed on
Sata port 1 and XP Pro Sp2, i would like to dual boot and when i put the 2nd
harddrive a Maxtor 200GB Sata 1 drive on Sata port 2 i can't install any
other Windows OS (Vista 64Bit) because it's detected as a Simple partition
not Dynamic
(and i can't convert it to Dynamic either), does anybody familiar with this
motherboard know how to dual boot with 2 Sata drives not running raid? Any
help would be appreciated.

=?Utf-8?B?U3RlcGhlbiBHYXJsaWNr?=

Hi David, First boot up under XP Pro 32bit version with both your hard drives
installed, then go to "Disk Management" inside of Computer Management. You
should see both your drives in the list as Disk 0 and Disk 1. Ensure that
both drives were setup as "Basic" Partitions and NOT Dynamic. You may find
that one or both of your hard drives are Partitioned and formatted as
Dynamic. You can "Right Click" on the Disk 0 and Disk 1 and it will tell you
haw the disk was prepared and its current configuration(Either Basic or
Dynamic). Unfortunately, your disks have to be Basic Partitions before
Installation. After installation, they can be changed to Dynamic. I own 2 -
P5WD2 Premiums, 1 - P5GDC-V Deluxe, and 2 - P4C800E Deluxes. All are
Multi-Boot configurations. All the P5's run x64, XP Pro x86, and 2 have Net
Server2003(x64) installed as well. With no problems whatsoever EXCEPT for
lack of drivers from Microsoft for their own hardware such as mice.

Happy New Year and good luck.
--
Stephen Garlick

"David McColgan" wrote:

> I have a Asus P5WD2 motherboard with 1 WD 250GB Sata 2 drive installed on
> Sata port 1 and XP Pro Sp2, i would like to dual boot and when i put the 2nd
> harddrive a Maxtor 200GB Sata 1 drive on Sata port 2 i can't install any
> other Windows OS (Vista 64Bit) because it's detected as a Simple partition
> not Dynamic
> (and i can't convert it to Dynamic either), does anybody familiar with this
> motherboard know how to dual boot with 2 Sata drives not running raid? Any
> help would be appreciated.

David McColgan

thanks for replying, i'll see if i can do it, i might have to do a reinstall
of XP though.
"Stephen Garlick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi David, First boot up under XP Pro 32bit version with both your hard
> drives
> installed, then go to "Disk Management" inside of Computer Management. You
> should see both your drives in the list as Disk 0 and Disk 1. Ensure that
> both drives were setup as "Basic" Partitions and NOT Dynamic. You may find
> that one or both of your hard drives are Partitioned and formatted as
> Dynamic. You can "Right Click" on the Disk 0 and Disk 1 and it will tell
> you
> haw the disk was prepared and its current configuration(Either Basic or
> Dynamic). Unfortunately, your disks have to be Basic Partitions before
> Installation. After installation, they can be changed to Dynamic. I own
> 2 -
> P5WD2 Premiums, 1 - P5GDC-V Deluxe, and 2 - P4C800E Deluxes. All are
> Multi-Boot configurations. All the P5's run x64, XP Pro x86, and 2 have
> Net
> Server2003(x64) installed as well. With no problems whatsoever EXCEPT for
> lack of drivers from Microsoft for their own hardware such as mice.
>
> Happy New Year and good luck.
> --
> Stephen Garlick
>

> "David McColgan" wrote:
>
>> I have a Asus P5WD2 motherboard with 1 WD 250GB Sata 2 drive installed on
>> Sata port 1 and XP Pro Sp2, i would like to dual boot and when i put the
>> 2nd
>> harddrive a Maxtor 200GB Sata 1 drive on Sata port 2 i can't install any
>> other Windows OS (Vista 64Bit) because it's detected as a Simple
>> partition
>> not Dynamic
>> (and i can't convert it to Dynamic either), does anybody familiar with
>> this
>> motherboard know how to dual boot with 2 Sata drives not running raid?
>> Any
>> help would be appreciated.

=?Utf-8?B?U3RlcGhlbiBHYXJsaWNr?=

No you shouldn't have to reinstall XP Pro, IF your C: (System and Boot) drive
was setup during install, it should be "Basic", if it is not, you should
still be able to Convert it to Basic by using Disk Management and right
clicking on DIsk 0 and Select "Convert to Basic". Once you do that, Delete
any partition on your second drive(200G), and repartition it using a "Basic"
partition. Now when you reboot, both of the installed drives will be Primary
Partitions and NOT Dynamic and I guarantee you a good clean install on your
second OS to the Second drive. )
--
Stephen Garlick

"David McColgan" wrote:

> thanks for replying, i'll see if i can do it, i might have to do a reinstall
> of XP though.
> "Stephen Garlick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi David, First boot up under XP Pro 32bit version with both your hard
> > drives
> > installed, then go to "Disk Management" inside of Computer Management. You
> > should see both your drives in the list as Disk 0 and Disk 1. Ensure that
> > both drives were setup as "Basic" Partitions and NOT Dynamic. You may find
> > that one or both of your hard drives are Partitioned and formatted as
> > Dynamic. You can "Right Click" on the Disk 0 and Disk 1 and it will tell
> > you
> > haw the disk was prepared and its current configuration(Either Basic or
> > Dynamic). Unfortunately, your disks have to be Basic Partitions before
> > Installation. After installation, they can be changed to Dynamic. I own
> > 2 -
> > P5WD2 Premiums, 1 - P5GDC-V Deluxe, and 2 - P4C800E Deluxes. All are
> > Multi-Boot configurations. All the P5's run x64, XP Pro x86, and 2 have
> > Net
> > Server2003(x64) installed as well. With no problems whatsoever EXCEPT for
> > lack of drivers from Microsoft for their own hardware such as mice.
> >
> > Happy New Year and good luck.
> > --
> > Stephen Garlick
> >

> > "David McColgan" wrote:
> >
> >> I have a Asus P5WD2 motherboard with 1 WD 250GB Sata 2 drive installed on
> >> Sata port 1 and XP Pro Sp2, i would like to dual boot and when i put the
> >> 2nd
> >> harddrive a Maxtor 200GB Sata 1 drive on Sata port 2 i can't install any
> >> other Windows OS (Vista 64Bit) because it's detected as a Simple
> >> partition
> >> not Dynamic
> >> (and i can't convert it to Dynamic either), does anybody familiar with
> >> this
> >> motherboard know how to dual boot with 2 Sata drives not running raid?
> >> Any
> >> help would be appreciated.

David McColgan

thanks i'm glad it doesn't require a reinstall, i didn't have both drives
installed when i installed XP Pro SP2 i hope that doesn't change the
situation?
"Stephen Garlick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> No you shouldn't have to reinstall XP Pro, IF your C: (System and Boot)
> drive
> was setup during install, it should be "Basic", if it is not, you should
> still be able to Convert it to Basic by using Disk Management and right
> clicking on DIsk 0 and Select "Convert to Basic". Once you do that, Delete
> any partition on your second drive(200G), and repartition it using a
> "Basic"
> partition. Now when you reboot, both of the installed drives will be
> Primary
> Partitions and NOT Dynamic and I guarantee you a good clean install on
> your
> second OS to the Second drive. )
> --
> Stephen Garlick
>

> "David McColgan" wrote:
>
>> thanks for replying, i'll see if i can do it, i might have to do a
>> reinstall
>> of XP though.
>> "Stephen Garlick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi David, First boot up under XP Pro 32bit version with both your hard
>> > drives
>> > installed, then go to "Disk Management" inside of Computer Management.
>> > You
>> > should see both your drives in the list as Disk 0 and Disk 1. Ensure
>> > that
>> > both drives were setup as "Basic" Partitions and NOT Dynamic. You may
>> > find
>> > that one or both of your hard drives are Partitioned and formatted as
>> > Dynamic. You can "Right Click" on the Disk 0 and Disk 1 and it will
>> > tell
>> > you
>> > haw the disk was prepared and its current configuration(Either Basic or
>> > Dynamic). Unfortunately, your disks have to be Basic Partitions before
>> > Installation. After installation, they can be changed to Dynamic. I own
>> > 2 -
>> > P5WD2 Premiums, 1 - P5GDC-V Deluxe, and 2 - P4C800E Deluxes. All are
>> > Multi-Boot configurations. All the P5's run x64, XP Pro x86, and 2 have
>> > Net
>> > Server2003(x64) installed as well. With no problems whatsoever EXCEPT
>> > for
>> > lack of drivers from Microsoft for their own hardware such as mice.
>> >
>> > Happy New Year and good luck.
>> > --
>> > Stephen Garlick

=?Utf-8?B?U3RlcGhlbiBHYXJsaWNr?=

No just make sure that both the drives under XP Pro are "Basic" disks. If
either one is not simply right click on Disk 0 or Disk 1 and Select "Convert
to Basic".

The second drive may have to be initialized. Just make sure that you do not
select Dynamic during this initialization.

Once the drive is initialized, you should see both drives in Disk Management.

Partition your second drive as "Basic" and format it.

You're done and ready for reboot and installation for your second OS to your
second drive.
--
Stephen Garlick

"David McColgan" wrote:

> thanks i'm glad it doesn't require a reinstall, i didn't have both drives
> installed when i installed XP Pro SP2 i hope that doesn't change the
> situation?
> "Stephen Garlick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > No you shouldn't have to reinstall XP Pro, IF your C: (System and Boot)
> > drive
> > was setup during install, it should be "Basic", if it is not, you should
> > still be able to Convert it to Basic by using Disk Management and right
> > clicking on DIsk 0 and Select "Convert to Basic". Once you do that, Delete
> > any partition on your second drive(200G), and repartition it using a
> > "Basic"
> > partition. Now when you reboot, both of the installed drives will be
> > Primary
> > Partitions and NOT Dynamic and I guarantee you a good clean install on
> > your
> > second OS to the Second drive. )
> > --
> > Stephen Garlick
> >

> > "David McColgan" wrote:
> >
> >> thanks for replying, i'll see if i can do it, i might have to do a
> >> reinstall
> >> of XP though.
> >> "Stephen Garlick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> >> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

David McColgan

don't have the option to convert to basic, both drives do show up in disk
management, should i just reinstall XP Pro? now it say they are Simple and
Dynamic, is this a problem?

"Stephen Garlick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> No just make sure that both the drives under XP Pro are "Basic" disks. If
> either one is not simply right click on Disk 0 or Disk 1 and Select
> "Convert
> to Basic".
>
> The second drive may have to be initialized. Just make sure that you do
> not
> select Dynamic during this initialization.
>
> Once the drive is initialized, you should see both drives in Disk
> Management.
>
> Partition your second drive as "Basic" and format it.
>
> You're done and ready for reboot and installation for your second OS to
> your
> second drive.
> --
> Stephen Garlick
>

> "David McColgan" wrote:
>
>> thanks i'm glad it doesn't require a reinstall, i didn't have both drives
>> installed when i installed XP Pro SP2 i hope that doesn't change the
>> situation?
>> "Stephen Garlick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > No you shouldn't have to reinstall XP Pro, IF your C: (System and Boot)
>> > drive
>> > was setup during install, it should be "Basic", if it is not, you
>> > should
>> > still be able to Convert it to Basic by using Disk Management and right
>> > clicking on DIsk 0 and Select "Convert to Basic". Once you do that,
>> > any partition on your second drive(200G), and repartition it using a
>> > "Basic"
>> > partition. Now when you reboot, both of the installed drives will be
>> > Primary
>> > Partitions and NOT Dynamic and I guarantee you a good clean install on
>> > your
>> > second OS to the Second drive. )
>> > --
>> > Stephen Garlick

=?Utf-8?B?U3RlcGhlbiBHYXJsaWNr?=

Yes that is your problem. I won't go into great detail here but again the
drives Must be "Basic". If you cannot "Corvert to Basic" in Disk Management
because it is grayed out, then you will have to re-install. And you will have
to reinstall from CD.

When you boot up from CD in XP Pro SP2(32bit), make sure that you DO press
the space key to boot from CD, Make sure you delete ALL partitons on all
drives, then reinstall to the C: drive with XP Pro. Allow setup to Partition
and Format the drive. DO NOT do an upgrade.

This should (By default) cause setup to 1) Partition the drive as Primary
and Basic, and 2) Format it NTFS.

When Brand New drives OR drives that have had the MBR erased, will show up
in Disk Management as having to be initialized. During that process, IF
Dynamic is selected, those drives are unable to be corverted to a Basic disk.
And unfortunately, in order to make them Basic, requires deleting the
partiton.

Another option is for you to just DELETE the existing Partition on your
second drive and then repartition it as a "Basic" disk. This will delete the
Dynamic Volume on your second drive but not the first.

You may want to try this first before reinstalling XP.

--
Stephen Garlick

"David McColgan" wrote:

> don't have the option to convert to basic, both drives do show up in disk
> management, should i just reinstall XP Pro? now it say they are Simple and
> Dynamic, is this a problem?
>
> "Stephen Garlick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > No just make sure that both the drives under XP Pro are "Basic" disks. If
> > either one is not simply right click on Disk 0 or Disk 1 and Select
> > "Convert
> > to Basic".
> >
> > The second drive may have to be initialized. Just make sure that you do
> > not
> > select Dynamic during this initialization.
> >
> > Once the drive is initialized, you should see both drives in Disk
> > Management.
> >
> > Partition your second drive as "Basic" and format it.
> >
> > You're done and ready for reboot and installation for your second OS to
> > your
> > second drive.
> > --
> > Stephen Garlick
> >

> > "David McColgan" wrote:
> >
> >> thanks i'm glad it doesn't require a reinstall, i didn't have both drives
> >> installed when i installed XP Pro SP2 i hope that doesn't change the
> >> situation?
> >> "Stephen Garlick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> >> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

David McColgan

ok, thanks.