Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > During scan disk, "cross linked on allocation", how do I fix it?

During scan disk, "cross linked on allocation", how do I fix it?

=?Utf-8?B?VmlyZ2lsIEMu?=

During scan disk, my computer freezes and I get a message:
System volume information\_restore...change.log.2 is cross linked on
allocation unit...

How do I fix this?

Tony Sperling

There should be an option for scandisk to fix any errors it encounters - as
I recall, this is not the default. Sorry, do not recall the specific option
(might be ' /f ' ?). Try it from the command-line. (Recovery Console!)

Tony. . .

"Virgil C." <Virgil (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> During scan disk, my computer freezes and I get a message:
> System volume information\_restore...change.log.2 is cross linked on
> allocation unit...
>
> How do I fix this?

Tony Sperling

Sorry, Scandisk may not work from the command-line - use CHKDSK /f - that
should do it.

Tony. . .

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> There should be an option for scandisk to fix any errors it encounters -
> as I recall, this is not the default. Sorry, do not recall the specific
> option (might be ' /f ' ?). Try it from the command-line. (Recovery
> Console!)
>

> Tony. . .
>

> "Virgil C." <Virgil (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> During scan disk, my computer freezes and I get a message:
>> System volume information\_restore...change.log.2 is cross linked on
>> allocation unit...
>>
>> How do I fix this?

John Barnes

If he is using scandisk, he is back in Win98 or maybe ME?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sorry, Scandisk may not work from the command-line - use CHKDSK /f - that
> should do it.
>
> Tony. . .

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> There should be an option for scandisk to fix any errors it encounters -
>> as I recall, this is not the default. Sorry, do not recall the specific
>> option (might be ' /f ' ?). Try it from the command-line. (Recovery
>> Console!)
>>

>> Tony. . .
>>

>> "Virgil C." <Virgil (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> During scan disk, my computer freezes and I get a message:
>>> System volume information\_restore...change.log.2 is cross linked on
>>> allocation unit...
>>>
>>> How do I fix this?

John Barnes

This group is for XP X64. Are you running into the problem when you start
windows and it runs scandisk because of a bad shutdown, or can you get to my
computer, right click on the drive, select properties, tools and scandisk.
Make sure fix errors is selected and run it.

"Virgil C." <Virgil (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> During scan disk, my computer freezes and I get a message:
> System volume information\_restore...change.log.2 is cross linked on
> allocation unit...
>
> How do I fix this?

Tony Sperling

Yeah, no wonder I had trouble getting it right! His version of CHKDSK should
be able to handle it, though, if the 'freezing' behaviour becomes routine.

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If he is using scandisk, he is back in Win98 or maybe ME?

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Sorry, Scandisk may not work from the command-line - use CHKDSK /f -
>> that should do it.
>>
>> Tony. . .
>>

>> "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> There should be an option for scandisk to fix any errors it encounters -
>>> as I recall, this is not the default. Sorry, do not recall the specific
>>> option (might be ' /f ' ?). Try it from the command-line. (Recovery
>>> Console!)
>>>

>>> Tony. . .
>>>

>>> "Virgil C." <Virgil (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

=?Utf-8?B?VmlyZ2lsIEMu?=

I have windows XP home edition 5.1 with Service Pack 2 installed. Everytime
I start my computer it says that the disk needs to be checked for errors. I
receive:

Volume Serial Number is 1052-B046
System volume information\_restore
{8357CB77-1DBD-43BC-B2F8E849aaB0S87F}\R1313\Change.log.2 is cross linked on
allocation unit 3677892

When it starts to run the scan, it stops with this message. I am able to
access computer by telling it not to run the scan. I have low disk space. I
have Norton System works but cannot use Disk Doctor. I have gone to My
Computer and right clicked on the properties and get that the drive is not
available and I can have it to fix errors on the restart. I think I did that
but will do that again. I will let you know what happens. Am I in the right
group? Thanks,

Virgil C.

"John Barnes" wrote:

> This group is for XP X64. Are you running into the problem when you start
> windows and it runs scandisk because of a bad shutdown, or can you get to my
> computer, right click on the drive, select properties, tools and scandisk.
> Make sure fix errors is selected and run it.
>

> "Virgil C." <Virgil (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > During scan disk, my computer freezes and I get a message:
> > System volume information\_restore...change.log.2 is cross linked on
> > allocation unit...
> >
> > How do I fix this?

John Barnes

You are not in the correct group, but XP is the same and chkdsk from the
install disk (recovery console) or at startup should be the same result.
you might want to post on Microsoft.public.windowsxp.general or
microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware. If you gave some information about
your disk setup you may be able to get help here or those other sites. How
many disks do you have? IDE SATA? How are they partitioned? Kinds of
partitions, etc

"Virgil C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have windows XP home edition 5.1 with Service Pack 2 installed.
>Everytime
> I start my computer it says that the disk needs to be checked for errors.
> receive:
>
> Volume Serial Number is 1052-B046
> System volume information\_restore
> {8357CB77-1DBD-43BC-B2F8E849aaB0S87F}\R1313\Change.log.2 is cross linked
> on
> allocation unit 3677892
>
> When it starts to run the scan, it stops with this message. I am able to
> access computer by telling it not to run the scan. I have low disk space.
> have Norton System works but cannot use Disk Doctor. I have gone to My
> Computer and right clicked on the properties and get that the drive is not
> available and I can have it to fix errors on the restart. I think I did
> that
> but will do that again. I will let you know what happens. Am I in the
> right
> group? Thanks,
>
> Virgil C.
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> This group is for XP X64. Are you running into the problem when you
>> start
>> windows and it runs scandisk because of a bad shutdown, or can you get to
>> my
>> computer, right click on the drive, select properties, tools and
>> scandisk.
>> Make sure fix errors is selected and run it.
>>

>> "Virgil C." <Virgil (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > During scan disk, my computer freezes and I get a message:
>> > System volume information\_restore...change.log.2 is cross linked on
>> > allocation unit...
>> >
>> > How do I fix this?

Randy

run chkdsk /r from a command prompt. If it says you must do so on next boot,
do so. Better yet, create a Bart's disc (http://nu2.nu) and fix it from
within that environment.