Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > X64 firewall

X64 firewall

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iIFIu?=

I am using X64's firewall with exceptions enabled on a new X64 install. As I
add new 32 bit programs, they are not added to my exceptiions list. When I
launch those programs, there is no pop-up to add them to the exceptions list
even though it is configured to pop-up and ask.

Is this thing only working in 64 bit?

Another oddity is I installed AVG + firewall 7.1 and the windows firewall
did not auto-disable. I manually disabled it and started poking around and
noticed I was getting two errors in the event log on every boot. It appeared
AVG's firewall was blocking a couple of services even after I had allowed all
services in the firewall.

This has led me to believe that Windows firewall is a 64 bit firewall that
doesnt care about 32 bit apps? My experiment with AVG's firewall seemed the
same way. I have searched every corner of the internet and cannot find
anything about how Windows firewall works on X64.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

(I havent tried Tiny yet but plan to)

Tony Sperling

I have noticed with several quite different pieces of software that the
system IS having trouble storing user preferences. Latest example is nView,
when defining short-keys, it works fine until you start up again - and the
short-keys are gone, or even exchanged for something entirely different!
Same with Flight Simulator, define a new startup situation, and next day it
is gone. I imagine it could be something in the registry?

Tony. . .

"Rob R." <Rob (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am using X64's firewall with exceptions enabled on a new X64 install. As
> add new 32 bit programs, they are not added to my exceptiions list. When I
> launch those programs, there is no pop-up to add them to the exceptions
> list
> even though it is configured to pop-up and ask.
>
> Is this thing only working in 64 bit?
>
> Another oddity is I installed AVG + firewall 7.1 and the windows firewall
> did not auto-disable. I manually disabled it and started poking around and
> noticed I was getting two errors in the event log on every boot. It
> appeared
> AVG's firewall was blocking a couple of services even after I had allowed
> all
> services in the firewall.
>
> This has led me to believe that Windows firewall is a 64 bit firewall that
> doesnt care about 32 bit apps? My experiment with AVG's firewall seemed
> the
> same way. I have searched every corner of the internet and cannot find
> anything about how Windows firewall works on X64.
>
> Anyone have any ideas on this?
>
> (I havent tried Tiny yet but plan to)

John Barnes

Had a similar preferences problem for about 6 months. About 3/4 of the time
the task bar would revert to 1 bar, whereas I want 6 bars. Last 2 months it
has stayed at the 6. I have it set to self hide so it is only up when I
need to change to a window that isn't visible.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...