Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > TV on x64

Reply
Thread Tools

TV on x64

 
 
mikedepetris@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-29-2005
I've always used a TV-card in my PC, but this ended when I installed XP
x64.
I was waiting to buy a new card x64 compatible, but then I had this
idea:

what about useing VirtualPC or VMware workstation to run a second 32
bit OS to install all those drivers I can't use on the host x64 system?

An usb TV adapter should be ok, as my HP all in one network printer and
other usb devices.

Is this true, will it work, is it worth? Will an usbTV work good enough?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dennis Pack
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-29-2005
I use the Leadtek Winfast TV2000 XP Expert TV card with ShowShifter for TV
viewing and capture. The drivers are available at "planetamd64.com".


<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I've always used a TV-card in my PC, but this ended when I installed XP
> x64.
> I was waiting to buy a new card x64 compatible, but then I had this
> idea:
>
> what about useing VirtualPC or VMware workstation to run a second 32
> bit OS to install all those drivers I can't use on the host x64 system?
>
> An usb TV adapter should be ok, as my HP all in one network printer and
> other usb devices.
>
> Is this true, will it work, is it worth? Will an usbTV work good enough?
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Colin Barnhorst
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-29-2005
Virtual PC does run on x64. Virtual Server R2 does, but neither supports
cards. The OS installed in VPC VSR2, or VMware runs in a virtual
environment and you cannot install drivers there for use in the host OS.

--
Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
(Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I've always used a TV-card in my PC, but this ended when I installed XP
> x64.
> I was waiting to buy a new card x64 compatible, but then I had this
> idea:
>
> what about useing VirtualPC or VMware workstation to run a second 32
> bit OS to install all those drivers I can't use on the host x64 system?
>
> An usb TV adapter should be ok, as my HP all in one network printer and
> other usb devices.
>
> Is this true, will it work, is it worth? Will an usbTV work good enough?
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
mikedepetris@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-29-2005
I ask myself why do you write false statements.

Virtual machines with 32bit XP can normally install printer drivers and
usb devices drivers, I was only asking about performance of an usbTV
adapter.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Colin Barnhorst
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-29-2005
You cannot use VPC or any other virtual machine manager to install drivers
for cards that are used on the host. If you had a Gateway and a Dell
computer sitting side by side, could you install a driver on the Dell for a
card in the Gateway? Think about virtual computers the same way.

--
Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
(Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I ask myself why do you write false statements.
>
> Virtual machines with 32bit XP can normally install printer drivers and
> usb devices drivers, I was only asking about performance of an usbTV
> adapter.
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
John Barnes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-29-2005
You have been around long enough to realise that some posters here have no
logic gene, and no matter how hard you try, they will never follow a logical
argument or they trail off with another well meaning poster that also hasn't
a clue.

"Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(remove)@msn.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You cannot use VPC or any other virtual machine manager to install drivers
> for cards that are used on the host. If you had a Gateway and a Dell
> computer sitting side by side, could you install a driver on the Dell for
> a card in the Gateway? Think about virtual computers the same way.
>
> --
> Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
> (Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>I ask myself why do you write false statements.
>>
>> Virtual machines with 32bit XP can normally install printer drivers and
>> usb devices drivers, I was only asking about performance of an usbTV
>> adapter.
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
mikedepetris@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-29-2005
now I understand you simply do not read.

USB devices are installed by the guest OS if it is in the foreground.

Networkprinters drivers... no problem.

better now?

 
Reply With Quote
 
Colin Barnhorst
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-29-2005


--
Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
(Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
"John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You have been around long enough to realise that some posters here have no
> logic gene, and no matter how hard you try, they will never follow a
> logical argument or they trail off with another well meaning poster that
> also hasn't a clue.
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(remove)@msn.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You cannot use VPC or any other virtual machine manager to install
>> drivers for cards that are used on the host. If you had a Gateway and a
>> Dell computer sitting side by side, could you install a driver on the
>> Dell for a card in the Gateway? Think about virtual computers the same
>> way.
>>
>> --
>> Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
>> (Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>>I ask myself why do you write false statements.
>>>
>>> Virtual machines with 32bit XP can normally install printer drivers and
>>> usb devices drivers, I was only asking about performance of an usbTV
>>> adapter.
>>>

>>
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Huang
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-29-2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Colin Barnhorst <colinbarharst(remove)@msn.com> wrote:
>You cannot use VPC or any other virtual machine manager to install drivers
>for cards that are used on the host. If you had a Gateway and a Dell
>computer sitting side by side, could you install a driver on the Dell for a
>card in the Gateway? Think about virtual computers the same way.


Most people don't refer to USB devices as "cards". I don't use VPC,
but VMWare definitely supports installing drivers in the guest OS
for USB devices connected to the physical computer. A driver in
the host OS is not required.

See http://www.vmware.com/support/ws45/d...es_usb_ws.html (no
USB isochronous support in VMWare Workstation 4.5, so TV capture
devices won't work), and
http://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/d...vices_usb.html
(experimental support in 5.5 for USB isochronous devices... TV capture
devices might work; give it a try!)

mikedepetris is correct. And while you may arguably also be correct,
depending on how you define "card," your statement is completely
irrelevant to the current discussion.
--
Name: Dave Huang | Mammal, mammal / their names are called /
INet: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) | they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
FurryMUCK: Dahan | dolphin and dog / koala bear and hog -- TMBG
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 30 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++
 
Reply With Quote
 
Colin Barnhorst
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-29-2005
But they are only installed on the guest OS. (VPC and Virtual Server do not
support usb, by the way, but I understand you are thinking of VMWare in this
case.)

A program like VPC or VMWare cannot be used to install a 32-bit driver in a
host computer running a 64-bit OS (or any OS for that matter).

I am telling you that no matter what you install on a guest OS, that item is
not also installed on the host. A guest is like Las Vegas; what happens
there stays there.

The problem seems to be is that you don't understand the relationship
between host and guest operating systems. That is OK. Lot's of folks
don't. Think of them as two separate computers even though they live in the
same physical box.

I understand that you are looking for a tool that will force a 32-bit driver
for a TV card to work on an x64 system. I am telling you that
virtualization programs are not that tool.

32-bit drivers do not work on x64 by design. It is not a bug. It will not
"get fixed." There are no workarounds.

Hope this helps.

--
Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
(Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> now I understand you simply do not read.
>
> USB devices are installed by the guest OS if it is in the foreground.
>
> Networkprinters drivers... no problem.
>
> better now?
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Using Windows XP x64 Drivers with Windows Server 2003 x64 Steve Graddy Windows 64bit 9 10-22-2005 04:27 AM
Windows Server 2003 X64 RC2 or SImply XP Professional X64 Edition =?Utf-8?B?UGFzY2Fs?= Windows 64bit 6 09-25-2005 05:33 PM
Upgrading x64 evaluation with full version of x64 prof? Daniel Herrmann Microsoft Certification 0 06-21-2005 08:10 PM
Ethereal for x64 -- or Network Monitor for x64 =?Utf-8?B?U21lYWdvbA==?= Windows 64bit 0 06-16-2005 11:30 PM
X64 trial to x64 full verion OEM =?Utf-8?B?TWFsY29sbQ==?= Windows 64bit 8 05-25-2005 04:31 PM



Advertisments