Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Installers. 16 bit, 32 bit

Installers. 16 bit, 32 bit

Sam Steinhauser

I am quite new to 64 bit computing as I have used it for 2 days. I don't
understand the variation on what will install and what will not.
My IntelliPoint and IntelliType will not install but I suppose they have
drivers which aren't 64 bit.
My MSWorks installs about halfway and crashes but some programs work.
My Kyodai Mahjong and Hardwood Solitare work fine.
Nero 6 works fine.
PaintShop Pro works fine.
Is there some rhyme or reason to this? Please inform this new 64bit kid!

Thanks

John Barnes

Just one of my pet peeves. Programs which have 32-bit installers, install
but don't work properly and then have 16-bit uninstallers that don't work.

"Sam Steinhauser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am quite new to 64 bit computing as I have used it for 2 days. I don't
>understand the variation on what will install and what will not.
> My IntelliPoint and IntelliType will not install but I suppose they have
> drivers which aren't 64 bit.
> My MSWorks installs about halfway and crashes but some programs work.
> My Kyodai Mahjong and Hardwood Solitare work fine.
> Nero 6 works fine.
> PaintShop Pro works fine.
> Is there some rhyme or reason to this? Please inform this new 64bit kid!
>
> Thanks

Colin Barnhorst

16-bit software, installers or programs, do not work (by design).

"Sam Steinhauser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am quite new to 64 bit computing as I have used it for 2 days. I don't
>understand the variation on what will install and what will not.
> My IntelliPoint and IntelliType will not install but I suppose they have
> drivers which aren't 64 bit.
> My MSWorks installs about halfway and crashes but some programs work.
> My Kyodai Mahjong and Hardwood Solitare work fine.
> Nero 6 works fine.
> PaintShop Pro works fine.
> Is there some rhyme or reason to this? Please inform this new 64bit kid!
>
> Thanks

Sam Steinhauser

Is there a way to tell what a program is? 16 or 32 bit?

Sam Steinhauser

Is there a way to tell which programs use either 16 or 32 bit?

Randy

I believe that generally, anything written for Windows 3.X is 16bit, and
anything written for Windows 9X is 32bit. And if you go back far enough,
stuff written for DOS is 8bit. That's very broad and general and not real
helpful, but it generally does hold true...

So the longer stuff has been around, the less likely it will work with x64
Windows...

If you already have software installed on a 32bit system, you may be able to
use an applet called process explorer to look at a running application and
see if it's listed as 16bit or 32bit. You can find process explorer and many
similar such utilities lots of places on the web. They are basically
enhanced versions of Task Manager...

"Sam Steinhauser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23GKoZ%23%(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Is there a way to tell which programs use either 16 or 32 bit?

Rick

Randy wrote:
> I believe that generally, anything written for Windows 3.X is 16bit, and
> anything written for Windows 9X is 32bit. And if you go back far enough,
> stuff written for DOS is 8bit. That's very broad and general and not real
> helpful, but it generally does hold true...

The above is not 100% correct. There are still many programs out there
that are using either a 16-nit installer and/or a 16-bit uninstaller.
These install and uninstall programs will run in Windows XP Pro & Home,
and have not been updated and/or replaced before now because there was
no compelling reason to do so.

The only way Microsoft will force software developers to move to at
least a 32-bit installer and uninstaller is to stop supporting 16-bit in
current versions of Windows.

Rick...

> So the longer stuff has been around, the less likely it will work with x64
> Windows...
>
> If you already have software installed on a 32bit system, you may be able to
> use an applet called process explorer to look at a running application and
> see if it's listed as 16bit or 32bit. You can find process explorer and many
> similar such utilities lots of places on the web. They are basically
> enhanced versions of Task Manager...
>
> "Sam Steinhauser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23GKoZ%23%(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Is there a way to tell which programs use either 16 or 32 bit?

=?Utf-8?B?VGVycnk=?=

check this compatabilty guide out, may help
http://www.3dvelocity.com/articles/w...64softlist.htm
--
koolbreezerepairs