Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > AMD64 processors & Enhanced Virus Protection

AMD64 processors & Enhanced Virus Protection

John John

What's the deal with that? AMD says:

"Enhanced Virus Protection in combination with Windows® XP SP2 sets
portions of system memory aside as “data only” meaning that any code
resident in these areas may not be executed, only read from or written to.

AMD’s Enhanced Virus Protection acts as a preventative measure causing
the virus to be localized, short-lived, and non-contagious, eventually
being flushed from system memory.

All AMD64 processors, ... are enabled with Enhanced Virus Protection..."

Is this smoke and mirrors? In real life what, if anything useful, does
this do and what kind of hit does the processing power & memory take for
this "convenience"? Can it be disabled?

John

Colin Barnhorst

It has data execution protection to prevent the types of viruses that inject
code into a data stream from carrying out an attack. It does not address
all forms of virus attacks by any means, but it helps.

"John John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What's the deal with that? AMD says:
>
> "Enhanced Virus Protection in combination with Windows® XP SP2 sets
> portions of system memory aside as “data only” meaning that any code
> resident in these areas may not be executed, only read from or written to.
>
> AMD’s Enhanced Virus Protection acts as a preventative measure causing the
> virus to be localized, short-lived, and non-contagious, eventually being
> flushed from system memory.
>
> All AMD64 processors, ... are enabled with Enhanced Virus Protection..."
>
> Is this smoke and mirrors? In real life what, if anything useful, does
> this do and what kind of hit does the processing power & memory take for
> this "convenience"? Can it be disabled?
>
> John

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Yes, you can turn it off, but I wouldn't recommend, the technology in XP SP2
and XP Professional x64 SP1 that AMD is referring to is Data Execution
Prevention, which helps protect against damage from viruses and other
security threats.

Click Start > Right click My Computer > Properties > Advanced, under
Performance click Settings > Data Execution Prevention tab, and check out
"How does it work?" link
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
"John John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What's the deal with that? AMD says:
>
> "Enhanced Virus Protection in combination with Windows® XP SP2 sets
> portions of system memory aside as “data only” meaning that any code
> resident in these areas may not be executed, only read from or written to.
>
> AMD’s Enhanced Virus Protection acts as a preventative measure causing
> the virus to be localized, short-lived, and non-contagious, eventually
> being flushed from system memory.
>
> All AMD64 processors, ... are enabled with Enhanced Virus Protection..."
>
> Is this smoke and mirrors? In real life what, if anything useful, does
> this do and what kind of hit does the processing power & memory take for
> this "convenience"? Can it be disabled?
>
> John

John John

Yeah, that is clear enough, but if, for example, the workstation is in a
secure environment without foreign threats, what use is it and will it
affect workstation performance?

John

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:

> Yes, you can turn it off, but I wouldn't recommend, the technology in XP SP2
> and XP Professional x64 SP1 that AMD is referring to is Data Execution
> Prevention, which helps protect against damage from viruses and other
> security threats.

Hmmm... I'm going to have to read up on this "technology". At first
thought I have to say that I am a bit "underwhelmed" by this new
approach to securing the Operating System. That's all I'll say until I
dig deeper, in all my years of using all flavours of Windows I haver
never had a virus and sometimes I scratch my head at some of the things
that Microsoft does, like their firewall for example, a bit
underwhelming to say the least. But, maybe tomorrow I'll have crow stew
for supper

> Click Start > Right click My Computer > Properties > Advanced, under
> Performance click Settings > Data Execution Prevention tab, and check out
> "How does it work?" link

Can't do that, I don't yet have a 64 bit system, I've always been an
Intel convert but there will be no "Intel Inside" my 64 platform, unless
something drastic happens at intel! For the moment I am familiarizing
myself with the AMD chip and board architecture.

John

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Its the opposite here, I have had too many viruses on Windows. And its from
bad practice you know, opening unknown attachments, visiting unique websites
not operating in a limited account. I think Microsoft and AMD should be
commended for taking the steps to really secure the computing experience for
the user at all levels.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
"John John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
>
> > Yes, you can turn it off, but I wouldn't recommend, the technology in XP

SP2
> > and XP Professional x64 SP1 that AMD is referring to is Data Execution
> > Prevention, which helps protect against damage from viruses and other
> > security threats.

> Hmmm... I'm going to have to read up on this "technology". At first
> thought I have to say that I am a bit "underwhelmed" by this new
> approach to securing the Operating System. That's all I'll say until I
> dig deeper, in all my years of using all flavours of Windows I haver
> never had a virus and sometimes I scratch my head at some of the things
> that Microsoft does, like their firewall for example, a bit
> underwhelming to say the least. But, maybe tomorrow I'll have crow stew
> for supper
>
> > Click Start > Right click My Computer > Properties > Advanced, under
> > Performance click Settings > Data Execution Prevention tab, and check

out
> > "How does it work?" link

> Can't do that, I don't yet have a 64 bit system, I've always been an
> Intel convert but there will be no "Intel Inside" my 64 platform, unless
> something drastic happens at intel! For the moment I am familiarizing
> myself with the AMD chip and board architecture.
>
> John

Charlie Russel - MVP

As blaster and a score of other attacks have shown us, what we think of as a
secure environment, isn't.

As for performance? It doesn't affect it at all.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

John John wrote:
> Yeah, that is clear enough, but if, for example, the workstation is in a
> secure environment without foreign threats, what use is it and will it
> affect workstation performance?
>
> John
>
> Colin Barnhorst wrote:
>
>> It has data execution protection to prevent the types of viruses that
>> inject code into a data stream from carrying out an attack. It does not
>> address all forms of virus attacks by any means, but it helps.

ChrisC

Hi John John, the same applies to 32 bit versions of XP and DEP. For me it
has worked flawlessly....
ChrisC
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Its the opposite here, I have had too many viruses on Windows. And its
> from
> bad practice you know, opening unknown attachments, visiting unique
> websites
> not operating in a limited account. I think Microsoft and AMD should be
> commended for taking the steps to really secure the computing experience
> for
> the user at all levels.
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
> "John John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
>>
>> > Yes, you can turn it off, but I wouldn't recommend, the technology in
>> > XP

> SP2
>> > and XP Professional x64 SP1 that AMD is referring to is Data Execution
>> > Prevention, which helps protect against damage from viruses and other
>> > security threats.

>> Hmmm... I'm going to have to read up on this "technology". At first
>> thought I have to say that I am a bit "underwhelmed" by this new
>> approach to securing the Operating System. That's all I'll say until I
>> dig deeper, in all my years of using all flavours of Windows I haver
>> never had a virus and sometimes I scratch my head at some of the things
>> that Microsoft does, like their firewall for example, a bit
>> underwhelming to say the least. But, maybe tomorrow I'll have crow stew
>> for supper
>>
>> > Click Start > Right click My Computer > Properties > Advanced, under
>> > Performance click Settings > Data Execution Prevention tab, and check

> out
>> > "How does it work?" link

>> Can't do that, I don't yet have a 64 bit system, I've always been an
>> Intel convert but there will be no "Intel Inside" my 64 platform, unless
>> something drastic happens at intel! For the moment I am familiarizing
>> myself with the AMD chip and board architecture.
>>
>> John

John Barnes

Are you talking about those that get thru your Symantec A/V, Andre. I've
had roughly 50 also, but so far I haven't had any get thru. 95% have been
from European (Lisbon) or South American (Venezuelan) e-mail correspondents.
Just my experience.

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Its the opposite here, I have had too many viruses on Windows. And its
> from
> bad practice you know, opening unknown attachments, visiting unique
> websites
> not operating in a limited account. I think Microsoft and AMD should be
> commended for taking the steps to really secure the computing experience
> for
> the user at all levels.
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
> "John John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
>>
>> > Yes, you can turn it off, but I wouldn't recommend, the technology in
>> > XP

> SP2
>> > and XP Professional x64 SP1 that AMD is referring to is Data Execution
>> > Prevention, which helps protect against damage from viruses and other
>> > security threats.

>> Hmmm... I'm going to have to read up on this "technology". At first
>> thought I have to say that I am a bit "underwhelmed" by this new
>> approach to securing the Operating System. That's all I'll say until I
>> dig deeper, in all my years of using all flavours of Windows I haver
>> never had a virus and sometimes I scratch my head at some of the things
>> that Microsoft does, like their firewall for example, a bit
>> underwhelming to say the least. But, maybe tomorrow I'll have crow stew
>> for supper
>>
>> > Click Start > Right click My Computer > Properties > Advanced, under
>> > Performance click Settings > Data Execution Prevention tab, and check

> out
>> > "How does it work?" link

>> Can't do that, I don't yet have a 64 bit system, I've always been an
>> Intel convert but there will be no "Intel Inside" my 64 platform, unless
>> something drastic happens at intel! For the moment I am familiarizing
>> myself with the AMD chip and board architecture.
>>
>> John

Andre Da Costa

I think so, does yours say Quarantine failed?