Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Win 2003 and XP x64 bultiboot

Win 2003 and XP x64 bultiboot

=?Utf-8?B?S0VOVA==?=

How or what should i know about installing in multiiboot
Windows Server 2003 Ent SP1 X64 and
Windows XP Profesional SP2 X64

??
Any help will be appreciated

Colin Barnhorst

Just use different partitions or drives.

"KENT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How or what should i know about installing in multiiboot
> Windows Server 2003 Ent SP1 X64 and
> Windows XP Profesional SP2 X64
>
> ??
> Any help will be appreciated

=?Utf-8?B?S0VOVA==?=

Should i use different computer name at installation or the same ??

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Just use different partitions or drives.

> "KENT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > How or what should i know about installing in multiiboot
> > Windows Server 2003 Ent SP1 X64 and
> > Windows XP Profesional SP2 X64
> >
> > ??
> > Any help will be appreciated

John Barnes

And make sure you can find 64-bit drivers for all your hardware and be
prepared to have some of your software not install or not function properly.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just use different partitions or drives.

> "KENT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> How or what should i know about installing in multiiboot
>> Windows Server 2003 Ent SP1 X64 and
>> Windows XP Profesional SP2 X64
>>
>> ??
>> Any help will be appreciated

Colin Barnhorst

Use whatever you want. I don't see how that can affect anything since you
are only going to be in one OS or the other at any given time.

"KENT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Should i use different computer name at installation or the same ??
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> Just use different partitions or drives.
>>
>> --
>> "KENT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > How or what should i know about installing in multiiboot
>> > Windows Server 2003 Ent SP1 X64 and
>> > Windows XP Profesional SP2 X64
>> >
>> > ??
>> > Any help will be appreciated

=?Utf-8?B?S0VOVA==?=

I am all aware of that. I dont know what should i install first and if i
should use the same computer name for both instalations

"John Barnes" wrote:

> And make sure you can find 64-bit drivers for all your hardware and be
> prepared to have some of your software not install or not function properly.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Just use different partitions or drives.
> >
> > --
> > Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
> > (Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
> > "KENT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> How or what should i know about installing in multiiboot
> >> Windows Server 2003 Ent SP1 X64 and
> >> Windows XP Profesional SP2 X64
> >>
> >> ??
> >> Any help will be appreciated

John Barnes

Operating systems should be installed in the order that they were released.
Coin answered your other question

"KENT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am all aware of that. I dont know what should i install first and if i
> should use the same computer name for both instalations
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> And make sure you can find 64-bit drivers for all your hardware and be
>> prepared to have some of your software not install or not function
>> properly.

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Just use different partitions or drives.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
>> > (Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
>> > "KENT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Tony Sperling

Do note, that when installed this way, you will not be able to access the
network from XP as if you had the Server running. If you boot the server,
you'll have your network and access to read the XP data on it's HD
partition - if you boot XP, you'll only have XP and access to read the
server data on it's HD partition. Dual-Booting is not like running a Virtual
Machine, where you can have both systems up at once.

That is why the 'name' question simply does not apply - you can do it if it
makes sense to you, or you can change names if you want a reminder of which
system you are actually using at the moment.

Hope I'm not adding to any confusion.

Tony. . .

"KENT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am all aware of that. I dont know what should i install first and if i
> should use the same computer name for both instalations
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> And make sure you can find 64-bit drivers for all your hardware and be
>> prepared to have some of your software not install or not function
>> properly.

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Just use different partitions or drives.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
>> > (Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
>> > "KENT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Colin Barnhorst

Install XP first. I don't know why you would multi-boot a server since it
is usually an always-on operating system, but if you are just using it for
testing or education you will be fine. Use whatever names you want for the
computers. Neither will see the other's computer name since they will not
be running at the same time. Why are you having trouble understanding this?