Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > New Maxtor drive - partition / drive letter issues

Reply
Thread Tools

New Maxtor drive - partition / drive letter issues

 
 
- Bobb -
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-19-2005
I've ghosted lots of drives , used OEM Drive CDs to install a disk, but this
is the first time that I had to use Windows to get a drive installed, so ...

Background: I had built Xp64 on my C drive and XP on my D partition (along
with the other stuff I had there : my backup / library) last week. I was
debating ghosting to another drive and creating a third partition to better
organize and - bingo - today CompUSA had Maxtor 250Gb SATA drives for $59
after rebate , so I bought one - to replace the primary IDE drive. Rather
than ghosting, I've now got a bigger SATA drive and can just move the data
and at the same time create a new partition.

I ran the Maxtor utility CD to create 3 partitions on the SATA drive and
formatted them. Now comes the tricky part. I had to assign a letter to each
drive in order for windows to see it / to move " the stuff that I didn't
want in the XP partition" to this new 3rd partition.

so I started with C + E on IDE drive. I added the SATA drive - 3
partitions - drive letters = J,K,L .
#1 = Drive J = XP64
#2 = Drive K= xp Pro
#3 = Drive L = Library
I moved the data from the old partitions to the new ones using the Maxtor
app - which had to be installed in Windows. I then shutdown and
disconnected IDE drive and booted XP and Xp64 on the SATA drive. Looks
good, EXCEPT that I would like drives to be C = XP64 , D = XPPro , E=
Library , rather than J,K and L.
I changed drive L to E - fine. I can't change letters of the other 2
partitions as the first = " Healthy System" and the second = "Healthy Boot".
SO, I put IDE back in and boot it. Then I could change K drive to be D ,
good.
BUT how to get that J drive to be C ?? If I boot from either disk , it
senses that the first partiton is " Healthy Active " ( when not-booted) or
"Healthy Boot" when I DO boot from it. Either way I can't mess with the
first partition to change the letter.
This Maxtor utility CD got the data moved, but no help assigning drive
letters.
My past few drives were Seagates and I ran their app under windows, pulled
out the old drive and booted the new one - no problem. I think that adding
the partition is what's messing me up here.
Do I need to delete the J drive and ghost C to partititon #1 on SATA
standalone ?

While I'm at it : I have this set as "Basic Disk". With only one drive, do I
care to make it a "Dynamic Disk" ?
I've never had a need to play with dynamic disks - is it worth doing so ?


Bobb


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
- Bobb -
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-19-2005
I DID find this online - has anyone ever done this ?
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;223188

9. Locate the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
10. Find the drive letter you want to change to (new). Look for
"\DosDevices\C:".
11. Right-click \DosDevices\C:, and then click Rename.

Note You must use Regedit instead of Regedt32 to rename this registry
key.
12. Rename it to an unused drive letter "\DosDevices\Z:".

This frees up drive letter C.
13. Find the drive letter you want changed. Look for "\DosDevices\D:".
14. Right-click \DosDevices\D:, and then click Rename.
15. Rename it to the appropriate (new) drive letter "\DosDevices\C:".
16. Click the value for \DosDevices\Z:, click Rename, and then name it
back to "\DosDevices\D:".
Quit Regedit, and then start Regedt32

========


"- Bobb -" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23w%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've ghosted lots of drives , used OEM Drive CDs to install a disk, but
> this is the first time that I had to use Windows to get a drive installed,
> so ...
>
> Background: I had built Xp64 on my C drive and XP on my D partition (along
> with the other stuff I had there : my backup / library) last week. I was
> debating ghosting to another drive and creating a third partition to
> better organize and - bingo - today CompUSA had Maxtor 250Gb SATA drives
> for $59 after rebate , so I bought one - to replace the primary IDE drive.
> Rather than ghosting, I've now got a bigger SATA drive and can just move
> the data and at the same time create a new partition.
>
> I ran the Maxtor utility CD to create 3 partitions on the SATA drive and
> formatted them. Now comes the tricky part. I had to assign a letter to
> each drive in order for windows to see it / to move " the stuff that I
> didn't want in the XP partition" to this new 3rd partition.
>
> so I started with C + E on IDE drive. I added the SATA drive - 3
> partitions - drive letters = J,K,L .
> #1 = Drive J = XP64
> #2 = Drive K= xp Pro
> #3 = Drive L = Library
> I moved the data from the old partitions to the new ones using the Maxtor
> app - which had to be installed in Windows. I then shutdown and
> disconnected IDE drive and booted XP and Xp64 on the SATA drive. Looks
> good, EXCEPT that I would like drives to be C = XP64 , D = XPPro , E=
> Library , rather than J,K and L.
> I changed drive L to E - fine. I can't change letters of the other 2
> partitions as the first = " Healthy System" and the second = "Healthy
> Boot". SO, I put IDE back in and boot it. Then I could change K drive to
> be D , good.
> BUT how to get that J drive to be C ?? If I boot from either disk , it
> senses that the first partiton is " Healthy Active " ( when not-booted)
> or "Healthy Boot" when I DO boot from it. Either way I can't mess with the
> first partition to change the letter.
> This Maxtor utility CD got the data moved, but no help assigning drive
> letters.
> My past few drives were Seagates and I ran their app under windows, pulled
> out the old drive and booted the new one - no problem. I think that adding
> the partition is what's messing me up here.
> Do I need to delete the J drive and ghost C to partititon #1 on SATA
> standalone ?
>
> While I'm at it : I have this set as "Basic Disk". With only one drive, do
> I care to make it a "Dynamic Disk" ?
> I've never had a need to play with dynamic disks - is it worth doing so ?
>
>
> Bobb
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
- Bobb -
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-19-2005
I did as recommmened in KB223188 and now my drive letters are as I would
like them.
I don't know if this is new or may have been this way since imaging:
If I boot XP64 ( drive C) and check my System Restore tab on My computer -
properties, it had Restore points disabled. I turned it off / on for each
drive - looks OK. BUT,
If I boot XP Pro ( D Drive ) and check System Restore tab , I get hang /
then program failure " Run dll as an app" - don't know why. May have been
that way since install - not sure as this is the first time I tried to use
it.
I have to do a few "end tasks" to close the windows. Even Drwatson fails and
I have to close that window too.

I didn't find anything matching my problem in Knowledge Base.
Can anyone tell me how to " init" the "Restore Point" area of XP Pro for my
D partition ?

Thanks.
Bobb
==========================
"- Bobb -" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I DID find this online - has anyone ever done this ?
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;223188
>
> ========
>
> "- Bobb -" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23w%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I've ghosted lots of drives , used OEM Drive CDs to install a disk, but
>> this is the first time that I had to use Windows to get a drive
>> installed, so ...
>>
>> Background: I had built Xp64 on my C drive and XP on my D partition
>> (along with the other stuff I had there : my backup / library) last week.
>> I was debating ghosting to another drive and creating a third partition
>> to better organize and - bingo - today CompUSA had Maxtor 250Gb SATA
>> drives for $59 after rebate , so I bought one - to replace the primary
>> IDE drive. Rather than ghosting, I've now got a bigger SATA drive and can
>> just move the data and at the same time create a new partition.
>>
>> I ran the Maxtor utility CD to create 3 partitions on the SATA drive and
>> formatted them. Now comes the tricky part. I had to assign a letter to
>> each drive in order for windows to see it / to move " the stuff that I
>> didn't want in the XP partition" to this new 3rd partition.
>>
>> so I started with C + E on IDE drive. I added the SATA drive - 3
>> partitions - drive letters = J,K,L .
>> #1 = Drive J = XP64
>> #2 = Drive K= xp Pro
>> #3 = Drive L = Library
>> I moved the data from the old partitions to the new ones using the Maxtor
>> app - which had to be installed in Windows. I then shutdown and
>> disconnected IDE drive and booted XP and Xp64 on the SATA drive. Looks
>> good, EXCEPT that I would like drives to be C = XP64 , D = XPPro , E=
>> Library , rather than J,K and L.
>> I changed drive L to E - fine. I can't change letters of the other 2
>> partitions as the first = " Healthy System" and the second = "Healthy
>> Boot". SO, I put IDE back in and boot it. Then I could change K drive to
>> be D , good.
>> BUT how to get that J drive to be C ?? If I boot from either disk , it
>> senses that the first partiton is " Healthy Active " ( when not-booted)
>> or "Healthy Boot" when I DO boot from it. Either way I can't mess with
>> the first partition to change the letter.
>> This Maxtor utility CD got the data moved, but no help assigning drive
>> letters.
>> My past few drives were Seagates and I ran their app under windows,
>> pulled out the old drive and booted the new one - no problem. I think
>> that adding the partition is what's messing me up here.
>> Do I need to delete the J drive and ghost C to partititon #1 on SATA
>> standalone ?
>>
>> While I'm at it : I have this set as "Basic Disk". With only one drive,
>> do I care to make it a "Dynamic Disk" ?
>> I've never had a need to play with dynamic disks - is it worth doing so ?
>>
>>
>> Bobb
>>
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
- Bobb -
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-19-2005
How to have XP Pro init Restore Point as if first time run ?
I'm building a new box and had a few issues after migrating data to new
drive. Now if I boot XP64 from partition #1 - system restore tab is OK, but
if I boot XP from partition #2 the system restore tab generates errors:
"cannot find the specified path".
Thanks


Details below if it matters.

Event log shows that all was Ok yesterday . Last thing in log was boot at
11 pm last night and drive letter reassignment due to dup names after
booting with both drives in there (as I started this thread earlier today).
System was Ok and I shutdown at 12:30 am. Today when I started at 8am, I got
a System Restore Service failure.

The SR start failure shows as :
"Error 3 : the system cannot find the specified path", which shows as '
E:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs '. Well the file IS there and
since the RPC service starts with ' E:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost -k rpcss ' ,
and it is running - what's the difference ? what doesn't XP like about the
'-k netsvcs' command that it reports " cannot find the path " ?? The path to
WHAT ! What changed while I slept last night !
I checked :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\sr - seems OK.

If I go to command prompt and manually enter the command, I do NOT get a
path error, it "looks like it worked" - I get a command prompt back , but
when I check the service it is not running, so typing it in didn' t make it
work. I've checked SR reg info at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\sr etc - all the Hex
data is greek to me but I suspect one of those values is wrong. I'd just
like to have it re - init System restore area to get both OS'es to work . OR
is that the isssue - can only have one ? I disabled in XP64 and
booted/retried XP pro - still same error.
Bobb
======
"- Bobb -" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I did as recommmened in KB223188 and now my drive letters are as I would
>like them.
> I don't know if this is new or may have been this way since imaging:
> If I boot XP64 ( drive C) and check my System Restore tab on My computer -
> properties, it had Restore points disabled. I turned it off / on for each
> drive - looks OK. BUT,
> If I boot XP Pro ( D Drive ) and check System Restore tab , I get hang /
> then program failure " Run dll as an app" - don't know why. May have been
> that way since install - not sure as this is the first time I tried to use
> it.
> I have to do a few "end tasks" to close the windows. Even Drwatson fails
> and I have to close that window too.
>
> I didn't find anything matching my problem in Knowledge Base.
> Can anyone tell me how to " init" the "Restore Point" area of XP Pro for
> my D partition ?
>
> Thanks.
> Bobb
> ==========================
> "- Bobb -" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I DID find this online - has anyone ever done this ?
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;223188
>>
>> ========
>>
>> "- Bobb -" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%23w%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I've ghosted lots of drives , used OEM Drive CDs to install a disk, but
>>> this is the first time that I had to use Windows to get a drive
>>> installed, so ...
>>>
>>> Background: I had built Xp64 on my C drive and XP on my D partition
>>> (along with the other stuff I had there : my backup / library) last
>>> week. I was debating ghosting to another drive and creating a third
>>> partition to better organize and - bingo - today CompUSA had Maxtor
>>> 250Gb SATA drives for $59 after rebate , so I bought one - to replace
>>> the primary IDE drive. Rather than ghosting, I've now got a bigger SATA
>>> drive and can just move the data and at the same time create a new
>>> partition.
>>>
>>> I ran the Maxtor utility CD to create 3 partitions on the SATA drive and
>>> formatted them. Now comes the tricky part. I had to assign a letter to
>>> each drive in order for windows to see it / to move " the stuff that I
>>> didn't want in the XP partition" to this new 3rd partition.
>>>
>>> so I started with C + E on IDE drive. I added the SATA drive - 3
>>> partitions - drive letters = J,K,L .
>>> #1 = Drive J = XP64
>>> #2 = Drive K= xp Pro
>>> #3 = Drive L = Library
>>> I moved the data from the old partitions to the new ones using the
>>> Maxtor app - which had to be installed in Windows. I then shutdown and
>>> disconnected IDE drive and booted XP and Xp64 on the SATA drive. Looks
>>> good, EXCEPT that I would like drives to be C = XP64 , D = XPPro , E=
>>> Library , rather than J,K and L.
>>> I changed drive L to E - fine. I can't change letters of the other 2
>>> partitions as the first = " Healthy System" and the second = "Healthy
>>> Boot". SO, I put IDE back in and boot it. Then I could change K drive to
>>> be D , good.
>>> BUT how to get that J drive to be C ?? If I boot from either disk , it
>>> senses that the first partiton is " Healthy Active " ( when not-booted)
>>> or "Healthy Boot" when I DO boot from it. Either way I can't mess with
>>> the first partition to change the letter.
>>> This Maxtor utility CD got the data moved, but no help assigning drive
>>> letters.
>>> My past few drives were Seagates and I ran their app under windows,
>>> pulled out the old drive and booted the new one - no problem. I think
>>> that adding the partition is what's messing me up here.
>>> Do I need to delete the J drive and ghost C to partititon #1 on SATA
>>> standalone ?
>>>
>>> While I'm at it : I have this set as "Basic Disk". With only one drive,
>>> do I care to make it a "Dynamic Disk" ?
>>> I've never had a need to play with dynamic disks - is it worth doing so
>>> ?
>>>
>>>
>>> Bobb
>>>
>>>

>>
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
dd - unequal speed from partition to partition, partition to file,file to partition bolega C Programming 1 03-28-2011 07:37 PM
Must assign drive letter to hidden partition in order to Hibernate(win 7 x64) Alexander Shenkin Windows 64bit 2 08-11-2010 09:20 PM
Drive letter on Partition is gone Ritter197 Computer Information 2 12-27-2004 11:54 AM
External Maxtor USB2 hard drive issues Chris Computer Support 9 09-07-2004 08:22 PM
Utility that can force XP to assign a drive letter to a partition? Jeff Ingram Computer Support 15 08-19-2003 07:45 PM



Advertisments