Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Advice please Nforce4 drivers and SATA

Advice please Nforce4 drivers and SATA

William

Do I have to load the drivers at F6 request?
I'm not keen to do it as I suspect the drivers I have are 32 bit and would like to find and load the
64 bit ones after a successful XP64 install on my newly built machine.

I've loaded XP64 after a fashion, ignoring the F6 request, from a purchased OEM CD. Some files
were reported missing during installation and I bypassed them. After installation I thought I'd go
onto Windows Update but found Internet Explorer seemed to be missing, although ticked as installed
in Windows Components. I removed it and tried to reinstall it, but to no avail.

I'm now thinking about trying a reinstall of XP64 but may just end up the same way.

Any useful advice or experience would be much appreciated. Fortunately I still have my old
machine!!

William

Piers James

you only need to do F6 if you are using RAID. Go here for nForce4 drivers
for x64:- http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_..._amd_6.69.html

"William" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Do I have to load the drivers at F6 request?
> I'm not keen to do it as I suspect the drivers I have are 32 bit and would
> like to find and load the
> 64 bit ones after a successful XP64 install on my newly built machine.
>
> I've loaded XP64 after a fashion, ignoring the F6 request, from a
> purchased OEM CD. Some files
> were reported missing during installation and I bypassed them. After
> installation I thought I'd go
> onto Windows Update but found Internet Explorer seemed to be missing,
> although ticked as installed
> in Windows Components. I removed it and tried to reinstall it, but to no
> avail.
>
> I'm now thinking about trying a reinstall of XP64 but may just end up the
> same way.
>
> Any useful advice or experience would be much appreciated. Fortunately I
> still have my old
> machine!!
>
> William

Patrick

No files should be reported missing from a purchased OEM CD

"William" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Do I have to load the drivers at F6 request?
> I'm not keen to do it as I suspect the drivers I have are 32 bit and would

like to find and load the
> 64 bit ones after a successful XP64 install on my newly built machine.
>
> I've loaded XP64 after a fashion, ignoring the F6 request, from a

purchased OEM CD. Some files
> were reported missing during installation and I bypassed them. After

installation I thought I'd go
> onto Windows Update but found Internet Explorer seemed to be missing,

although ticked as installed
> in Windows Components. I removed it and tried to reinstall it, but to no

avail.

> I'm now thinking about trying a reinstall of XP64 but may just end up the

same way.

> Any useful advice or experience would be much appreciated. Fortunately I

still have my old
> machine!!
>
> William

William

Sorry to have bothered you all, but I finally and in desperation I tried restoring XP over itself
and all is now well.

I have no idea why that should have worked, but am thankful that I got there in the end.

Hopefully, my experience will be of benefit to someone else.

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 21:46:03 +0000, William <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Do I have to load the drivers at F6 request?
>I'm not keen to do it as I suspect the drivers I have are 32 bit and would like to find and load the
>64 bit ones after a successful XP64 install on my newly built machine.
>
>I've loaded XP64 after a fashion, ignoring the F6 request, from a purchased OEM CD. Some files
>were reported missing during installation and I bypassed them. After installation I thought I'd go
>onto Windows Update but found Internet Explorer seemed to be missing, although ticked as installed
>in Windows Components. I removed it and tried to reinstall it, but to no avail.
>
>I'm now thinking about trying a reinstall of XP64 but may just end up the same way.
>
>Any useful advice or experience would be much appreciated. Fortunately I still have my old
>machine!!
>
>William

Colin Barnhorst

Sometimes it is a cd drive issue. Reseating the cd might have mattered.