Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > There isn't a 64-bit printer driver for my printer from the manufa

There isn't a 64-bit printer driver for my printer from the manufa

=?Utf-8?B?U3RldmU=?=

There isn't a 64-bit printer driver for my printer from the manufacturer, but
Windows update has one that I can’t figure out.

I have a Samsung CLP-510 printer. Samsung says it doesn’t know when it’s
going to get a 64 driver, but windows update tries to install a driver from
Microsoft and when that goes through I get this error, “The printer driver is
not compatible with a policy enabled on your computer that blocks NT 4.0
drivers.” What is up with that?

Rick

You absolutely have to have print drivers designed for Win x64. So,
until Samsung decides to publish such drivers, you're only recourse is
to experiment and find a driver in Win x64 that will at least perform
enough of the desired functions to allow you to use your printer. I
have a Samsung CLP-550 and use one of the HP drivers. I don't get
duplexing, but otherwise it prints fine.

Steve wrote:
> There isn't a 64-bit printer driver for my printer from the manufacturer, but
> Windows update has one that I can’t figure out.
>
> I have a Samsung CLP-510 printer. Samsung says it doesn’t know when it’s
> going to get a 64 driver, but windows update tries to install a driver from
> Microsoft and when that goes through I get this error, “The printer driver is
> not compatible with a policy enabled on your computer that blocks NT 4.0
> drivers.” What is up with that?

=?Utf-8?B?U3RldmU=?=

Can you please tell me what driver are you using, Rick?

"Rick" wrote:

> You absolutely have to have print drivers designed for Win x64. So,
> until Samsung decides to publish such drivers, you're only recourse is
> to experiment and find a driver in Win x64 that will at least perform
> enough of the desired functions to allow you to use your printer. I
> have a Samsung CLP-550 and use one of the HP drivers. I don't get
> duplexing, but otherwise it prints fine.
>

> Steve wrote:
> > There isn't a 64-bit printer driver for my printer from the manufacturer, but
> > Windows update has one that I can’t figure out.
> >
> > I have a Samsung CLP-510 printer. Samsung says it doesn’t know when it’s
> > going to get a 64 driver, but windows update tries to install a driver from
> > Microsoft and when that goes through I get this error, “The printer driver is
> > not compatible with a policy enabled on your computer that blocks NT 4.0
> > drivers.” What is up with that?

Rick

I can as soon as I get things changed around. I am updating my system
and don't have my x64 system on line right now.

Steve wrote:
> Can you please tell me what driver are you using, Rick?
>
> "Rick" wrote:
>
>> You absolutely have to have print drivers designed for Win x64. So,
>> until Samsung decides to publish such drivers, you're only recourse is
>> to experiment and find a driver in Win x64 that will at least perform
>> enough of the desired functions to allow you to use your printer. I
>> have a Samsung CLP-550 and use one of the HP drivers. I don't get
>> duplexing, but otherwise it prints fine.
>>

>> Steve wrote:
>>> There isn't a 64-bit printer driver for my printer from the manufacturer, but
>>> Windows update has one that I can’t figure out.
>>>
>>> I have a Samsung CLP-510 printer. Samsung says it doesn’t know when it’s
>>> going to get a 64 driver, but windows update tries to install a driver from
>>> Microsoft and when that goes through I get this error, “The printer driver is
>>> not compatible with a policy enabled on your computer that blocks NT 4.0
>>> drivers.” What is up with that?

=?Utf-8?B?d2VzbGV5ag==?=

HP Color Laser Jet 8550 PCL seems to work about the best with the Samsung 500
series printers

"Steve" wrote:

> There isn't a 64-bit printer driver for my printer from the manufacturer, but
> Windows update has one that I can’t figure out.
>
> I have a Samsung CLP-510 printer. Samsung says it doesn’t know when it’s
> going to get a 64 driver, but windows update tries to install a driver from
> Microsoft and when that goes through I get this error, “The printer driver is
> not compatible with a policy enabled on your computer that blocks NT 4.0
> drivers.” What is up with that?

=?Utf-8?B?Y29jb2tpd2k=?=

Well! I have the same printer but the Network version CLS 510 N

Have the same problem,they sent me a CD with a prelim driver But it did not
work...It may work on yours since it is the main 64bit printer driver

It seems that Win64 has a second printer function: a Print server which
also needs a driver if one is using a networked printer ,if someone can
figure out a make the second driver(grin)

Dennis

"Steve" wrote:

> There isn't a 64-bit printer driver for my printer from the manufacturer, but
> Windows update has one that I can’t figure out.
>
> I have a Samsung CLP-510 printer. Samsung says it doesn’t know when it’s
> going to get a 64 driver, but windows update tries to install a driver from
> Microsoft and when that goes through I get this error, “The printer driver is
> not compatible with a policy enabled on your computer that blocks NT 4.0
> drivers.” What is up with that?

=?Utf-8?B?d2VzbGV5ag==?=

mine is a 550N, in printers setup a network printer, using the IP address
assigned to the 510N, to set up a new IP Port, then select the HP Printer,
works just fine cept for no duplex

"cocokiwi" wrote:

> Well! I have the same printer but the Network version CLS 510 N
>
> Have the same problem,they sent me a CD with a prelim driver But it did not
> work...It may work on yours since it is the main 64bit printer driver
>
> It seems that Win64 has a second printer function: a Print server which
> also needs a driver if one is using a networked printer ,if someone can
> figure out a make the second driver(grin)
>
> Dennis
>
> "Steve" wrote:
>
> > There isn't a 64-bit printer driver for my printer from the manufacturer, but
> > Windows update has one that I can’t figure out.
> >
> > I have a Samsung CLP-510 printer. Samsung says it doesn’t know when it’s
> > going to get a 64 driver, but windows update tries to install a driver from
> > Microsoft and when that goes through I get this error, “The printer driver is
> > not compatible with a policy enabled on your computer that blocks NT 4.0
> > drivers.” What is up with that?

John Mack

Try this, Start/Printers > Add Printer > Local > Usb Port
There will be a button for Windows Update, click that and choose CLP-510
from the list. it is a 64 bit driver but doesn't do duplexing. It does
however work, and who knows maybe they will come out with drivers some day.
I don't care what the faithful say, they should not have realeased x64 for
sale till they had drivers, but another story-another day.

news(E-Mail Removed)...
> There isn't a 64-bit printer driver for my printer from the manufacturer,
> but
> Windows update has one that I can't figure out.
>
> I have a Samsung CLP-510 printer. Samsung says it doesn't know when it's
> going to get a 64 driver, but windows update tries to install a driver
> from
> Microsoft and when that goes through I get this error, "The printer driver
> is
> not compatible with a policy enabled on your computer that blocks NT 4.0
> drivers." What is up with that?

Rick

If this were a perfect world, your statement about the drivers would be
okay. But we don't and with every new OS Microsoft has released, the
story has always been the same. It happened with Win 96, Win ME, and
Win XP. It's a chicken and egg conundrum - which comes first?

John Mack wrote:
> Try this, Start/Printers > Add Printer > Local > Usb Port
> There will be a button for Windows Update, click that and choose CLP-510
> from the list. it is a 64 bit driver but doesn't do duplexing. It does
> however work, and who knows maybe they will come out with drivers some day.
> I don't care what the faithful say, they should not have realeased x64 for
> sale till they had drivers, but another story-another day.
>
> "Steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> There isn't a 64-bit printer driver for my printer from the manufacturer,
>> but
>> Windows update has one that I can't figure out.
>>
>> I have a Samsung CLP-510 printer. Samsung says it doesn't know when it's
>> going to get a 64 driver, but windows update tries to install a driver
>> from
>> Microsoft and when that goes through I get this error, "The printer driver
>> is
>> not compatible with a policy enabled on your computer that blocks NT 4.0
>> drivers." What is up with that?

=?Utf-8?B?VGVjaGVhZA==?=

OK Rick; Since you're on a roll with this topic:

I purchased a Lexmark 7100 (Office-Jet). Lexmark has no (scheduled) plans
for releasing a 64-bit driver. According to this thread; I can find another
64-bit driver from say "HP" or "Cannon", who do produce 64-bit printer
drivers, and perhaps one of those will work for my Lexmark? Would it be best
to look for a similar type (multi-function) driver?