Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > trial expired

trial expired

=?Utf-8?B?Q00=?=

my trial for windows xp 64 bit expired today. I really don't want to have to
do a clean install and have to reinstall all my programs and documents on my
computer. Is it possible to buy a full version of windows xp 64 professional
and install it so I can keep my desktop, programs, etc... I really want to
save as much time as possible. thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

Piers James

yes it is. You'll have to buy an OEM version, which means you'll have to buy
a bit of qualifying hardware at the same time (a case fan will do), and then
you can do a repair during the installation. Search this NG and you will
find more detailed answers in several posts as this question has come up
multiple time before.

"CM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> my trial for windows xp 64 bit expired today. I really don't want to have
> do a clean install and have to reinstall all my programs and documents on
> my
> computer. Is it possible to buy a full version of windows xp 64
> professional
> and install it so I can keep my desktop, programs, etc... I really want to
> save as much time as possible. thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

John Barnes

Per a number of prior posts if you do an Upgrade install within the running
x64 you will save a greater amount of your previous work. Don't know if
your expired version will allow you into it far enough to run the OEM x64 CD
though. Maybe worth a try, else do the repair previously recommended, and
as Andre's posts point out, it is the second place you can choose repair,
after accepting the license, NOT repair using recovery console.

"CM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> my trial for windows xp 64 bit expired today. I really don't want to have
> do a clean install and have to reinstall all my programs and documents on
> my
> computer. Is it possible to buy a full version of windows xp 64
> professional
> and install it so I can keep my desktop, programs, etc... I really want to
> save as much time as possible. thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

=?Utf-8?B?U2lsdmVydG9l?=

I bought an OEM version from Fry's Electronics (Outpost.com). With a new
processor. Install went great for me. No problems.