Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > xmas present: dual core 4200, can i turn my 64 bit windows into a production music making machine?

xmas present: dual core 4200, can i turn my 64 bit windows into a production music making machine?

Arthur Rosene

I was thinking. Mac's run better with 32 bit processors and have some of
the best music making software. I'm not a musician but would like to
experiment with some good production quality software that would run very
nicely on x64 64 bit. I have some decent amount of hard drive space to
use. soundcard is audigy 2 value and i am using the green analog speakers.
I was told that my christmas gift of dual core 2.2ghz processors was a
waste having a single core 3500 currently. I really thought it would
enhance the system speed very well overall.

if someone could please point me to the software i want and need (something
very versatile and full range capable) just to see if i can create music
for myself that is unique -- that would run nicely with dual core 4200 with
2 gigs of pc3500 ram and plenty of hd space.

thank you

Arthur

Dennis Gordon

Sonar 5 is the 64 bit happening app right now. Haven't tried it myself
yet....

"Arthur Rosene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I was thinking. Mac's run better with 32 bit processors and have some of
> the best music making software. I'm not a musician but would like to
> experiment with some good production quality software that would run very
> nicely on x64 64 bit. I have some decent amount of hard drive space to
> use. soundcard is audigy 2 value and i am using the green analog

speakers.
> I was told that my christmas gift of dual core 2.2ghz processors was a
> waste having a single core 3500 currently. I really thought it would
> enhance the system speed very well overall.
>
> if someone could please point me to the software i want and need

(something
> very versatile and full range capable) just to see if i can create music
> for myself that is unique -- that would run nicely with dual core 4200

with
> 2 gigs of pc3500 ram and plenty of hd space.
>
> thank you
>
> Arthur

Jud Hendrix

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 23:44:07 -0800, Arthur Rosene <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

What kind of software do you need?
To edit sounds? Soundforge 8, Steinberg Nuendo or Cubase SX
To compose? Sibelius 4, Finale.

Nuendo won't run on x64, as the dongle-drivers are 32-bit, but they might
be working on an upgrade, you never know. It's a hell of a program, and I
prefer it above ProTools.

There are so many choices to fit your budget. Maybe you can be a bit more
precise.

jud

Arthur Rosene

well i remember a Apple CEO launch of an application that seemed to be the
ultimate music making machine. i dont have any external midi interfaces so
the music creation would have to be built inside the program. a friend of
mine has produced a number of albums i believe all using his computer
awhile back. www.skincage.com is the website and Axon is the cd in
question. i thought to myself -- if he did that with that technology then
-- what could i do at home now ?? basically i would like to have a music
program that will allow me to create music on the computer from electronic
to noisish-samplish (during the day) using both samples and program
instrumentation. granted i dont have any background in music production.
its mostly to see what i can do. again i will have dual core 4200's and 2
gigs of ram and plenty of hd space and an audigy 2. support newsgroups
would really come in handy.

thank you

Arthur

> What kind of software do you need?
> To edit sounds? Soundforge 8, Steinberg Nuendo or Cubase SX
> To compose? Sibelius 4, Finale.
>
> Nuendo won't run on x64, as the dongle-drivers are 32-bit, but they might
> be working on an upgrade, you never know. It's a hell of a program, and I
> prefer it above ProTools.

Dennis Gordon

If you have no experience in music production, something like Acid or
Rebirth might fill the bill, although I have no idea if they are supported
in 64 bit.

"Arthur Rosene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eGTOFa%(E-Mail Removed)...
> well i remember a Apple CEO launch of an application that seemed to be the
> ultimate music making machine. i dont have any external midi interfaces

so
> the music creation would have to be built inside the program. a friend of
> mine has produced a number of albums i believe all using his computer
> awhile back. www.skincage.com is the website and Axon is the cd in
> question. i thought to myself -- if he did that with that technology then
> -- what could i do at home now ?? basically i would like to have a music
> program that will allow me to create music on the computer from electronic
> to noisish-samplish (during the day) using both samples and program
> instrumentation. granted i dont have any background in music production.
> its mostly to see what i can do. again i will have dual core 4200's and 2
> gigs of ram and plenty of hd space and an audigy 2. support newsgroups
> would really come in handy.
>
> thank you
>
> Arthur
>
> > What kind of software do you need?
> > To edit sounds? Soundforge 8, Steinberg Nuendo or Cubase SX
> > To compose? Sibelius 4, Finale.
> >
> > Nuendo won't run on x64, as the dongle-drivers are 32-bit, but they

might
> > be working on an upgrade, you never know. It's a hell of a program, and

> > prefer it above ProTools.

Jud Hendrix

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 09:55:56 -0600, "Dennis Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>If you have no experience in music production, something like Acid or
>Rebirth might fill the bill, although I have no idea if they are supported
>in 64 bit.

My suggestion too. Acid Pro 5 runs on x64 (I use it on x64). You only have
to install it partially manually, as the installer interrupts fro some
reason. I think you can download a try-out version ate the Sony website.
I use it to compose short background tunes for video's I edit.

I don't know if Rebirth runs under x64. I don't use it.

jud