Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Re: XP Pro (Full) , X64 (Full) and Windows Server 2003 R2 TRIAL - which is latest ntldr ?

Re: XP Pro (Full) , X64 (Full) and Windows Server 2003 R2 TRIAL - which is latest ntldr ?

- Bobb -

"- Bobb -" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:...
> I currently have a pc with X64 on it . ( Path = c:\Xp64)
> I would like to install XP Pro as well as the Trial version of Server 2003. Can I leave the x64 install alone ?
> I could use some help with this:
> I copy/save the current Ntldr and Ntdetect.com and boot.ini file and store them in a safe place.
> Then I add a second drive with 2 partitions - D and E.
> I install XP Pro to D:\XP , and Server Trial to E:\Srvr2003
> Order of installs Ok ?
>
> If so - in 180 days the srvr license will expire. Since it was the last one to be installed, will it then mess up the process to
> boot the others. Or just a matter of editing boot.ini on C to no longer include E:\Srvr2003 and I erase the partition ?
>
> I tried lots of keywords: " install order x64 and XP Professional ntldr ", but I couldn't find a KB article.

> when you perform an installation of an operating system that includes later versions of the Ntldr and Ntdetect.com files, Setup
> replaces those files on the hard disk. However, if the versions of the Ntldr and Ntdetect.com files of the operating system that

is
> being installed are earlier than the versions that currently are on the hard disk, the files on the hard disk are not overwritten

by
> the Setup program.
> I would expect x64 or xp Pro to be more current ntldr info than server " 2003" - but can't confirm . True ?
>
> Thanks
> Bobb

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

XP SP2 and XP Pro x64 ntldr are compatible.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"- Bobb -" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eICrCT3$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "- Bobb -" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:...
>> I currently have a pc with X64 on it . ( Path = c:\Xp64)
>> I would like to install XP Pro as well as the Trial version of Server
>> 2003. Can I leave the x64 install alone ?
>> I could use some help with this:
>> I copy/save the current Ntldr and Ntdetect.com and boot.ini file and
>> store them in a safe place.
>> Then I add a second drive with 2 partitions - D and E.
>> I install XP Pro to D:\XP , and Server Trial to E:\Srvr2003
>> Order of installs Ok ?
>>
>> If so - in 180 days the srvr license will expire. Since it was the last
>> one to be installed, will it then mess up the process to
>> boot the others. Or just a matter of editing boot.ini on C to no longer
>> include E:\Srvr2003 and I erase the partition ?
>>
>> I tried lots of keywords: " install order x64 and XP Professional ntldr
>> ", but I couldn't find a KB article.

>> when you perform an installation of an operating system that includes
>> later versions of the Ntldr and Ntdetect.com files, Setup
>> replaces those files on the hard disk. However, if the versions of the
>> Ntldr and Ntdetect.com files of the operating system that

> is
>> being installed are earlier than the versions that currently are on the
>> hard disk, the files on the hard disk are not overwritten

> by
>> the Setup program.
>> I would expect x64 or xp Pro to be more current ntldr info than server "
>> 2003" - but can't confirm . True ?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Bobb

- Bobb -

about server2003 install. Order of OS install ?
> I install XP Pro to D:\XP , and Server Trial to E:\Srvr2003
> Order of installs Ok ?

Can I leave x64 as-is on C and still use it after server2003 trial install expires ?

Bobb

"Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:us$jrY3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> XP SP2 and XP Pro x64 ntldr are compatible.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>

> "- Bobb -" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:eICrCT3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "- Bobb -" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:...
> >> I currently have a pc with X64 on it . ( Path = c:\Xp64)
> >> I would like to install XP Pro as well as the Trial version of Server
> >> 2003. Can I leave the x64 install alone ?
> >> I could use some help with this:
> >> I copy/save the current Ntldr and Ntdetect.com and boot.ini file and
> >> store them in a safe place.
> >> Then I add a second drive with 2 partitions - D and E.
> >> I install XP Pro to D:\XP , and Server Trial to E:\Srvr2003
> >> Order of installs Ok ?
> >>
> >> If so - in 180 days the srvr license will expire. Since it was the last
> >> one to be installed, will it then mess up the process to
> >> boot the others. Or just a matter of editing boot.ini on C to no longer
> >> include E:\Srvr2003 and I erase the partition ?
> >>
> >> I tried lots of keywords: " install order x64 and XP Professional ntldr
> >> ", but I couldn't find a KB article.
> >>
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;895556
> >> when you perform an installation of an operating system that includes
> >> later versions of the Ntldr and Ntdetect.com files, Setup
> >> replaces those files on the hard disk. However, if the versions of the
> >> Ntldr and Ntdetect.com files of the operating system that

> > is
> >> being installed are earlier than the versions that currently are on the
> >> hard disk, the files on the hard disk are not overwritten

> > by
> >> the Setup program.
> >> I would expect x64 or xp Pro to be more current ntldr info than server "
> >> 2003" - but can't confirm . True ?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Bobb

Charlie Russel - MVP

yes

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

- Bobb - wrote:
> about server2003 install. Order of OS install ?
>> I install XP Pro to D:\XP , and Server Trial to E:\Srvr2003
>> Order of installs Ok ?

> Can I leave x64 as-is on C and still use it after server2003 trial
> install expires ?
>
> Bobb

> news:us$jrY3$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> XP SP2 and XP Pro x64 ntldr are compatible.
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>

>> "- Bobb -" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:eICrCT3$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> is
>>> by

John Barnes

After you do the other installs, you will have to put back the ntldr and
ntdetect.com from the x64 install, from where you saved them (I assume you
are not going to change boot order doing this, so they are returned from
where you got them). Then I would go to recovery console on the x64 cd and
when you get to the command prompt, I would use the command bootcfg
/rebuild. You will then rebuild a boot.ini file with all visible Windows
systems on it properly enunciated.

"- Bobb -" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eICrCT3$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "- Bobb -" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:...
>> I currently have a pc with X64 on it . ( Path = c:\Xp64)
>> I would like to install XP Pro as well as the Trial version of Server
>> 2003. Can I leave the x64 install alone ?
>> I could use some help with this:
>> I copy/save the current Ntldr and Ntdetect.com and boot.ini file and
>> store them in a safe place.
>> Then I add a second drive with 2 partitions - D and E.
>> I install XP Pro to D:\XP , and Server Trial to E:\Srvr2003
>> Order of installs Ok ?
>>
>> If so - in 180 days the srvr license will expire. Since it was the last
>> one to be installed, will it then mess up the process to
>> boot the others. Or just a matter of editing boot.ini on C to no longer
>> include E:\Srvr2003 and I erase the partition ?
>>
>> I tried lots of keywords: " install order x64 and XP Professional ntldr
>> ", but I couldn't find a KB article.

>> when you perform an installation of an operating system that includes
>> later versions of the Ntldr and Ntdetect.com files, Setup
>> replaces those files on the hard disk. However, if the versions of the
>> Ntldr and Ntdetect.com files of the operating system that

> is
>> being installed are earlier than the versions that currently are on the
>> hard disk, the files on the hard disk are not overwritten

> by
>> the Setup program.
>> I would expect x64 or xp Pro to be more current ntldr info than server "
>> 2003" - but can't confirm . True ?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Bobb

- Bobb -

I installed XPPro to the D drive in the X64 system today.
After a few boots to complete the install, I tried X64 -- boot problem.
I copied back the X64 ntldr,ntloader to C and it then booted both OSes OK.

one thing - I keep getting Unknown device on ... SOMETHING !
Did all the MS updates - went to ASUS, Nvidia , got latest drivers ( a few were updated last month). No matter what I tried = wrong
driver. Everything that I use works fine. When it's just called "UNKNOWN Device", how to figure out what it wants ? I don't know if
Audio, network, Video, etc. Any tips for that ? (Event log no help)

Bobb

"Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:es3eDQ4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> yes
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> - Bobb - wrote:
> > about server2003 install. Order of OS install ?
> >> I install XP Pro to D:\XP , and Server Trial to E:\Srvr2003
> >> Order of installs Ok ?

> > Can I leave x64 as-is on C and still use it after server2003 trial
> > install expires ?
> >
> > Bobb
> >
> > "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:us$jrY3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> XP SP2 and XP Pro x64 ntldr are compatible.
> >> --
> >> Andre
> >>

> >> "- Bobb -" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:eICrCT3$(E-Mail Removed)...

- Bobb -

Thanks John,
I just updated previous message (this wasn't visible to me until I closed my reply)

bobb

"John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:Ome$FL5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> After you do the other installs, you will have to put back the ntldr and
> ntdetect.com from the x64 install, from where you saved them (I assume you
> are not going to change boot order doing this, so they are returned from
> where you got them). Then I would go to recovery console on the x64 cd and
> when you get to the command prompt, I would use the command bootcfg
> /rebuild. You will then rebuild a boot.ini file with all visible Windows
> systems on it properly enunciated.
>
> "- Bobb -" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:eICrCT3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "- Bobb -" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:...
> >> I currently have a pc with X64 on it . ( Path = c:\Xp64)
> >> I would like to install XP Pro as well as the Trial version of Server
> >> 2003. Can I leave the x64 install alone ?
> >> I could use some help with this:
> >> I copy/save the current Ntldr and Ntdetect.com and boot.ini file and
> >> store them in a safe place.
> >> Then I add a second drive with 2 partitions - D and E.
> >> I install XP Pro to D:\XP , and Server Trial to E:\Srvr2003
> >> Order of installs Ok ?
> >>
> >> If so - in 180 days the srvr license will expire. Since it was the last
> >> one to be installed, will it then mess up the process to
> >> boot the others. Or just a matter of editing boot.ini on C to no longer
> >> include E:\Srvr2003 and I erase the partition ?
> >>
> >> I tried lots of keywords: " install order x64 and XP Professional ntldr
> >> ", but I couldn't find a KB article.
> >>
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;895556
> >> when you perform an installation of an operating system that includes
> >> later versions of the Ntldr and Ntdetect.com files, Setup
> >> replaces those files on the hard disk. However, if the versions of the
> >> Ntldr and Ntdetect.com files of the operating system that

> > is
> >> being installed are earlier than the versions that currently are on the
> >> hard disk, the files on the hard disk are not overwritten

> > by
> >> the Setup program.
> >> I would expect x64 or xp Pro to be more current ntldr info than server "
> >> 2003" - but can't confirm . True ?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Bobb

Colin Barnhorst

It may be an ACPI device. There is a technique for using a Windows 2000
driver by redecorating the inf file. The source is on PlanetAMD64. I went
through that six months ago. Once resolved the device shows up under the
System Devices in the Device Manager. The exact device should be "ATK0110
ACPI UTILITY." If you do not see that device name in list of 20 or so
System Devices then it is what you are looking for.

"- Bobb -" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I installed XPPro to the D drive in the X64 system today.
> After a few boots to complete the install, I tried X64 -- boot problem.
> I copied back the X64 ntldr,ntloader to C and it then booted both OSes
> OK.
>
> one thing - I keep getting Unknown device on ... SOMETHING !
> Did all the MS updates - went to ASUS, Nvidia , got latest drivers ( a few
> were updated last month). No matter what I tried = wrong
> driver. Everything that I use works fine. When it's just called "UNKNOWN
> Device", how to figure out what it wants ? I don't know if
> Audio, network, Video, etc. Any tips for that ? (Event log no help)
>
> Bobb

> news:es3eDQ4$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> yes
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> - Bobb - wrote:
>> > about server2003 install. Order of OS install ?
>> > Can I leave x64 as-is on C and still use it after server2003 trial
>> > install expires ?
>> >
>> > Bobb
>> >
>> > "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:us$jrY3$(E-Mail Removed)...

- Bobb -

Colin,

you were exactly right it was the ACPI device. Excellent - thank you.

Now that the install of the OS,SP2 etc is complete, I want to clean up as much of the install "leftovers" as I can. I purged temp
files, deleted the $NTUninstalls etc . I still have these on my Pro partition:

$hf_mig$ = 132mb shows the KB numbers
E:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download =771mb
E:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 = 501mb

Ok to empty these folders ( I'll leave the folders in case they're needed) or should I leave as-is ?

E:\WINDOWS\Prefetch ?? << What's this ?

Then I'll do a defrag and image the partiton for backup.

Bobb

"Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(remove)@msn.com> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nevermind searching. I found out I saved the whole thing. It is in a
> zipped folder I have attached. Unzip it to your desktop and manually
> install through the Device Manager. I have decorated the inf file so it
> will install on x64. That is, assuming I am guessing right about the device
> that is puzzling you.

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > It may be an ACPI device. There is a technique for using a Windows 2000
> > driver by redecorating the inf file. The source is on PlanetAMD64. I
> > went
> > through that six months ago. Once resolved the device shows up under the
> > System Devices in the Device Manager. The exact device should be "ATK0110
> > ACPI UTILITY." If you do not see that device name in list of 20 or so
> > System Devices then it is what you are looking for.
> >
> > --
> > Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
> > (Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
> > "- Bobb -" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>I installed XPPro to the D drive in the X64 system today.
> >> After a few boots to complete the install, I tried X64 -- boot problem.
> >> I copied back the X64 ntldr,ntloader to C and it then booted both OSes
> >> OK.
> >>
> >> one thing - I keep getting Unknown device on ... SOMETHING !
> >> Did all the MS updates - went to ASUS, Nvidia , got latest drivers ( a
> >> few
> >> were updated last month). No matter what I tried = wrong
> >> driver. Everything that I use works fine. When it's just called "UNKNOWN
> >> Device", how to figure out what it wants ? I don't know if
> >> Audio, network, Video, etc. Any tips for that ? (Event log no help)
> >>
> >> Bobb
> >>
> >> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:es3eDQ4$(E-Mail Removed)...

Colin Barnhorst

You're welcome.