Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > 64 bit Windows running on 32bit dual Xeon processors

64 bit Windows running on 32bit dual Xeon processors

=?Utf-8?B?QnJ1Y2U=?=

Will the 64 bit Windows 2003 Server run on Our 32 bit dual Xeon Processors
that we currently have installed on our servers?

M. Murcek

CPUs with EM64T features ARE A MUST. 32 bit processors ron 32 bit OSs.
Processors with 64 bit instructions and memory handling can run 32 or 64 bit
OSs...

"Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Will the 64 bit Windows 2003 Server run on Our 32 bit dual Xeon Processors
> that we currently have installed on our servers?

Patrick

No.

"Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Will the 64 bit Windows 2003 Server run on Our 32 bit dual Xeon Processors
> that we currently have installed on our servers?

Colin Barnhorst

Unfortunately, 32 + 32 does not equal 64 in this case.
Both procs must be 64-bit.

"Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Will the 64 bit Windows 2003 Server run on Our 32 bit dual Xeon Processors
> that we currently have installed on our servers?

Charlie Russel - MVP

IF the Xeon's have EM64T, yes. But if they do not, then no. (Intel is less
than forthcoming about which actual processors support EM64T at times. To
determine which Intel models you have, and what it supports:
The best way to find out what processor you have, and what its
specifications are, is to use the Intel Processor Identification Utility,
available from the Intel site:
http://support.intel.com/support/processors/tools/piu/

--
Charlie.