Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > remote desktop crashes x64..?

remote desktop crashes x64..?

fb

As soon as I try and access my x64 desktop from any of my other xp pro
sp2 computers, including laptop, x64 crashes and reboots.
Any ideas, suggestions appreciated.
TIA
Frank

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Could be video driver issue, are there any error messages when the crash
occurs? Did you check your system event logs to see if there are messages
there concerning this crash? Also, does the crash occurr when you try to
access the 32-Bit XP Pro from XP Pro x64?
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"fb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eQ$Fcfe$(E-Mail Removed)...
> As soon as I try and access my x64 desktop from any of my other xp pro sp2
> computers, including laptop, x64 crashes and reboots.
> Any ideas, suggestions appreciated.
> TIA
> Frank

John Barnes

You need to go into system properties/advanced/startup and turn off
automatic reboot, then you will get the error codes Andre refers to and you
can begin to narrow in on the problem. As Andre suggested look in your
event logs.

"fb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eQ$Fcfe$(E-Mail Removed)...
> As soon as I try and access my x64 desktop from any of my other xp pro sp2
> computers, including laptop, x64 crashes and reboots.
> Any ideas, suggestions appreciated.
> TIA
> Frank

Charlie Russel - MVP

John and Andre are pointing you in the right direction. I and most of the
rest of the folks here use Remote Desktop all the time with x64, so it isn't
a basic incompatibility

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

fb wrote:
> As soon as I try and access my x64 desktop from any of my other xp pro
> sp2 computers, including laptop, x64 crashes and reboots.
> Any ideas, suggestions appreciated.
> TIA
> Frank

fb

Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
> John and Andre are pointing you in the right direction. I and most of the
> rest of the folks here use Remote Desktop all the time with x64, so it isn't
> a basic incompatibility

I get an immediate BSOD involving win32k.sys. Nothing in the event
viewer. I've shut down all non critical services, killed the fire wall
killed the avast av even booted into safe mode with network...same
results. I'm dual booting with xp pro sp2 and it rdt no problem.
I'm stumped...at least for now.
Frank

John Barnes

Maybe you could include the stop codes you receive when it crashes.

"fb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Oh8Ka9h$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
>> John and Andre are pointing you in the right direction. I and most of the
>> rest of the folks here use Remote Desktop all the time with x64, so it
>> isn't a basic incompatibility
>>

> I get an immediate BSOD involving win32k.sys. Nothing in the event viewer.
> I've shut down all non critical services, killed the fire wall killed the
> avast av even booted into safe mode with network...same results. I'm dual
> booting with xp pro sp2 and it rdt no problem.
> I'm stumped...at least for now.
> Frank

fb

John Barnes wrote:
> Maybe you could include the stop codes you receive when it crashes.
>

> "fb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Oh8Ka9h$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
>>
>>>John and Andre are pointing you in the right direction. I and most of the
>>>rest of the folks here use Remote Desktop all the time with x64, so it
>>>isn't a basic incompatibility
>>>

>>I get an immediate BSOD involving win32k.sys. Nothing in the event viewer.
>>I've shut down all non critical services, killed the fire wall killed the
>>avast av even booted into safe mode with network...same results. I'm dual
>>booting with xp pro sp2 and it rdt no problem.
>>I'm stumped...at least for now.
>>Frank

Yeah I'm trying to figure out how to do a screen capture (very small of
course) that I could post in this ng so everyone can see what I'm seeing.
Frank

John Barnes

If it is too much trouble to copy them down and type them in, you could go
to the minidump and copy them. DriveLetter:\Windows\Minidump do a find
on stop then copy the 50 or so characters until the )

"fb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OLEufgn$(E-Mail Removed)...
> John Barnes wrote:
>> Maybe you could include the stop codes you receive when it crashes.
>>

>> "fb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:Oh8Ka9h$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>I get an immediate BSOD involving win32k.sys. Nothing in the event
>>>viewer. I've shut down all non critical services, killed the fire wall
>>>killed the avast av even booted into safe mode with network...same
>>>results. I'm dual booting with xp pro sp2 and it rdt no problem.
>>>I'm stumped...at least for now.
>>>Frank

> Yeah I'm trying to figure out how to do a screen capture (very small of
> course) that I could post in this ng so everyone can see what I'm seeing.
> Frank

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

I was going to suggest that also John, but what deterred was, how would he
view the contents of the .dmp file? I opened one in mine and used the web
service thingy which suggested it is XML, but can anyone except the
developers decipher anything from it?
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:%234JGpBo$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If it is too much trouble to copy them down and type them in, you could go
> to the minidump and copy them. DriveLetter:\Windows\Minidump do a find
> on stop then copy the 50 or so characters until the )
>

> "fb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:OLEufgn$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> John Barnes wrote:
>>> Maybe you could include the stop codes you receive when it crashes.
>>>

>>> "fb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:Oh8Ka9h$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> Yeah I'm trying to figure out how to do a screen capture (very small of
>> course) that I could post in this ng so everyone can see what I'm seeing.
>> Frank

John Barnes

If you do a find on the word stop you will find something like this STOP:
0x0000009C (0x00000004,0x8086EFF0,0xB2000000,0x00070F0F)
news:O1OO%23do$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was going to suggest that also John, but what deterred was, how would he
>view the contents of the .dmp file? I opened one in mine and used the web
>service thingy which suggested it is XML, but can anyone except the
>developers decipher anything from it?
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

> news:%234JGpBo$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If it is too much trouble to copy them down and type them in, you could
>> go to the minidump and copy them. DriveLetter:\Windows\Minidump do a
>> find on stop then copy the 50 or so characters until the )
>>

>> "fb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:OLEufgn$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Yeah I'm trying to figure out how to do a screen capture (very small of
>>> course) that I could post in this ng so everyone can see what I'm
>>> seeing.
>>> Frank