Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Unable to boot from Windows Server 2003 x64 DVD

Unable to boot from Windows Server 2003 x64 DVD

Orgbrat

Hi folks,
I am having problems with my Windows Server 2003 x64 DVD booting and I
was curious if anyone had an answer.

I started with a 250GB disc and installed Windows XP Pro (x86) from the DVD
with no problem. Just inserted DVD and booted computer, XP gave me an
install menu and I installed. I partitioned the 250 GB drive into two
halves (one for x32 and one for x64 later). Installed XP x32 on C: drive
primary partition and then formatted the second partition ( D: drive ) as
another primary partition. XP x32 runs and works fine. I now want to install
Windows Server 2003 x64 on the D: drive, so I inserted the Server x64 DVD
and restarted expecting to get the message on boot to "Hit any key to boot
from CD", but I did not receive this message. The machine just boots into
XP. I have rechecked my device boot order to make sure that the order was
DVD, Floppy, Hard Drive and the Network. All is set correctly. I can insert
a bootable Win98 floppy, then restart and the machine boots from the floppy.
I thought maybe it was my Windows Server 2003 x64 disc so I tried to get the
system to boot from the XP x32 disc again and it will not do that either
now. So what am I missing? Has anyone had this problem trying to load a
dual-boot system? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks...

Steve Graddy MCP, MCAD.Net
Orgbrat Consulting

John Barnes

You didn't say if the drive is able to read anything now. Maybe your drive
has failed in some way.
When you are booted to x86 can you read the files and have you run a CD disk
check to see if the drive is reading properly?

"Orgbrat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OMWmgta$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi folks,
> I am having problems with my Windows Server 2003 x64 DVD booting and I
> was curious if anyone had an answer.
>
> I started with a 250GB disc and installed Windows XP Pro (x86) from the
> DVD with no problem. Just inserted DVD and booted computer, XP gave me an
> install menu and I installed. I partitioned the 250 GB drive into two
> halves (one for x32 and one for x64 later). Installed XP x32 on C: drive
> primary partition and then formatted the second partition ( D: drive ) as
> another primary partition. XP x32 runs and works fine. I now want to
> install Windows Server 2003 x64 on the D: drive, so I inserted the Server
> x64 DVD and restarted expecting to get the message on boot to "Hit any key
> to boot from CD", but I did not receive this message. The machine just
> boots into XP. I have rechecked my device boot order to make sure that the
> order was DVD, Floppy, Hard Drive and the Network. All is set correctly. I
> can insert a bootable Win98 floppy, then restart and the machine boots
> from the floppy. I thought maybe it was my Windows Server 2003 x64 disc so
> I tried to get the system to boot from the XP x32 disc again and it will
> not do that either now. So what am I missing? Has anyone had this problem
> trying to load a dual-boot system? Any help would be much appreciated.
> Thanks...
>
> Steve Graddy MCP, MCAD.Net
> Orgbrat Consulting

=?Utf-8?B?SmFja00=?=

Had the same problem when using Tiny Software's firewall. You might check to
see if your firewall, if present, is blocking the DVD. Otherwise take John's
advice.

"John Barnes" wrote:

> You didn't say if the drive is able to read anything now. Maybe your drive
> has failed in some way.
> When you are booted to x86 can you read the files and have you run a CD disk
> check to see if the drive is reading properly?
>
> "Orgbrat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:OMWmgta$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi folks,
> > I am having problems with my Windows Server 2003 x64 DVD booting and I
> > was curious if anyone had an answer.
> >
> > I started with a 250GB disc and installed Windows XP Pro (x86) from the
> > DVD with no problem. Just inserted DVD and booted computer, XP gave me an
> > install menu and I installed. I partitioned the 250 GB drive into two
> > halves (one for x32 and one for x64 later). Installed XP x32 on C: drive
> > primary partition and then formatted the second partition ( D: drive ) as
> > another primary partition. XP x32 runs and works fine. I now want to
> > install Windows Server 2003 x64 on the D: drive, so I inserted the Server
> > x64 DVD and restarted expecting to get the message on boot to "Hit any key
> > to boot from CD", but I did not receive this message. The machine just
> > boots into XP. I have rechecked my device boot order to make sure that the
> > order was DVD, Floppy, Hard Drive and the Network. All is set correctly. I
> > can insert a bootable Win98 floppy, then restart and the machine boots
> > from the floppy. I thought maybe it was my Windows Server 2003 x64 disc so
> > I tried to get the system to boot from the XP x32 disc again and it will
> > not do that either now. So what am I missing? Has anyone had this problem
> > trying to load a dual-boot system? Any help would be much appreciated.
> > Thanks...
> >
> > Steve Graddy MCP, MCAD.Net
> > Orgbrat Consulting

Orgbrat

Drive is working fine. I have installed software to the WinXP x86 all day
today with no problem. I t will just not boot from Windows OS disc.

"JackM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Had the same problem when using Tiny Software's firewall. You might check
> see if your firewall, if present, is blocking the DVD. Otherwise take
> John's
> advice.
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> You didn't say if the drive is able to read anything now. Maybe your
>> drive
>> has failed in some way.
>> When you are booted to x86 can you read the files and have you run a CD
>> disk
>> check to see if the drive is reading properly?
>>
>> "Orgbrat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:OMWmgta$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi folks,
>> > I am having problems with my Windows Server 2003 x64 DVD booting and
>> > was curious if anyone had an answer.
>> >
>> > I started with a 250GB disc and installed Windows XP Pro (x86) from the
>> > DVD with no problem. Just inserted DVD and booted computer, XP gave me
>> > an
>> > install menu and I installed. I partitioned the 250 GB drive into two
>> > halves (one for x32 and one for x64 later). Installed XP x32 on C:
>> > drive
>> > primary partition and then formatted the second partition ( D: drive )
>> > as
>> > another primary partition. XP x32 runs and works fine. I now want to
>> > install Windows Server 2003 x64 on the D: drive, so I inserted the
>> > Server
>> > x64 DVD and restarted expecting to get the message on boot to "Hit any
>> > key
>> > to boot from CD", but I did not receive this message. The machine just
>> > boots into XP. I have rechecked my device boot order to make sure that
>> > the
>> > order was DVD, Floppy, Hard Drive and the Network. All is set
>> > correctly. I
>> > can insert a bootable Win98 floppy, then restart and the machine boots
>> > from the floppy. I thought maybe it was my Windows Server 2003 x64 disc
>> > so
>> > I tried to get the system to boot from the XP x32 disc again and it
>> > will
>> > not do that either now. So what am I missing? Has anyone had this
>> > problem
>> > trying to load a dual-boot system? Any help would be much appreciated.
>> > Thanks...
>> >
>> > Steve Graddy MCP, MCAD.Net
>> > Orgbrat Consulting

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Burn it to CD-ROM instead of DVD and try again.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Orgbrat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OnKMdUg$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Drive is working fine. I have installed software to the WinXP x86 all day
> today with no problem. I t will just not boot from Windows OS disc.
>

> "JackM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Had the same problem when using Tiny Software's firewall. You might
>> check to
>> see if your firewall, if present, is blocking the DVD. Otherwise take
>> John's
>> advice.
>>
>> "John Barnes" wrote:
>>
>>> You didn't say if the drive is able to read anything now. Maybe your
>>> drive
>>> has failed in some way.
>>> When you are booted to x86 can you read the files and have you run a CD
>>> disk
>>> check to see if the drive is reading properly?
>>>
>>> "Orgbrat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:OMWmgta$(E-Mail Removed)...

Orgbrat

Hi Andre,
You were absolutely correct. I was trying to boot from my MSDN OS disc.
They do supply me with a disc of ISO images.
I burned the image to a CD-RW then inserted into the machine and rebooted.
The machine booted to the CD with no problem
I have read your posts before and they are of great help in many unusual
situations. Thanks for the help. It is much appreciated.

Steve Graddy MCP, MCAD.Net
Orgbrat Consulting

news:%23tyAvap$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Burn it to CD-ROM instead of DVD and try again.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "Orgbrat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:OnKMdUg$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Drive is working fine. I have installed software to the WinXP x86 all day
>> today with no problem. I t will just not boot from Windows OS disc.
>>

>> "JackM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Had the same problem when using Tiny Software's firewall. You might
>>> check to
>>> see if your firewall, if present, is blocking the DVD. Otherwise take
>>> John's
>>> advice.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Glad you got it working Orgbrat and I am happy you find my posts helpful,
thank you. There also some great folks who help out here too, John, Charlie,
Colin, Darrell, Rick, Bobby and many more, they deserve kudos for their time
and effort to help others have great experience on x64.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta