Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Scanners compatible with X64?

Scanners compatible with X64?

Danielle E

My trusty HP812C has worked reliably for about 6 years now and is still
going strong. However, I now have an application where a scanner would be
handy.

I find myself debating on the following:

Separate scanner / printer or all in one?

Manufacturer?

If separate should printer and scanner be the same manufacturer?

(I see Epson has some x64 drivers available now. It looks like Cannon is
supposed to release some soon.)

Comments will be appreciated.

(Does any one have a favorite site for detailed reviews?)

Danielle

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Stay away as far as possible from All-In-Ones if you plan on using x64, just
buy a dedicated scanner, printer if you want a smooth experience. Yes, lots
of hardware but its better than lots of frustration. They don't have to be
the same manufacturer, just as long as they 64 bit native device drivers.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Danielle E" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e4%235MvZ$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My trusty HP812C has worked reliably for about 6 years now and is still
> going strong. However, I now have an application where a scanner would be
> handy.
>
> I find myself debating on the following:
>
> Separate scanner / printer or all in one?
>
> Manufacturer?
>
> If separate should printer and scanner be the same manufacturer?
>
> (I see Epson has some x64 drivers available now. It looks like Cannon is
> supposed to release some soon.)
>
> Comments will be appreciated.
>
> (Does any one have a favorite site for detailed reviews?)
>

> Danielle

Dennis Gordon

I had to ditch my Umax firewire scanner when I went 64 bit. I picked up a
used Epson 3170 on Ebay (2 actually, one for another workstattion).
Excellent unit and faster than the Umax. My first Epson and a good one....

"Danielle E" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e4%235MvZ$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My trusty HP812C has worked reliably for about 6 years now and is still
> going strong. However, I now have an application where a scanner would be
> handy.
>
> I find myself debating on the following:
>
> Separate scanner / printer or all in one?
>
> Manufacturer?
>
> If separate should printer and scanner be the same manufacturer?
>
> (I see Epson has some x64 drivers available now. It looks like Cannon is
> supposed to release some soon.)
>
> Comments will be appreciated.
>
> (Does any one have a favorite site for detailed reviews?)
>

> Danielle

Danielle E

On the web site the lowest cost Epson scanner I see with x64 drivers is the
Epson Perfection 4490 photo that sells for $249.99. As I plan to use if for
scanning text, it's a lot more scanner than I really need. Anyone see a
lower cost one that is readily available? From what I see it seems that the
X64 drivers are being introduced for the more expensive machines and not the
lower cost ones.

I want a flat bed scanner that wil scan 8 1/2 X 11.7 minimum.

Although it may be difficult to elaborate, I wonder what problems people
have been having with the all in one machines.

I have found it difficult to find the compatible machines by doing web
searches. I seem to find the incompatible ones.

Danielle

news:O5wpSEa$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Stay away as far as possible from All-In-Ones if you plan on using x64,
> just buy a dedicated scanner, printer if you want a smooth experience.
> Yes, lots of hardware but its better than lots of frustration. They don't
> have to be the same manufacturer, just as long as they 64 bit native
> device drivers.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "Danielle E" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:e4%235MvZ$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My trusty HP812C has worked reliably for about 6 years now and is still
>> going strong. However, I now have an application where a scanner would
>> be
>> handy.
>>
>> I find myself debating on the following:
>>
>> Separate scanner / printer or all in one?
>>
>> Manufacturer?
>>
>> If separate should printer and scanner be the same manufacturer?
>>
>> (I see Epson has some x64 drivers available now. It looks like Cannon is
>> supposed to release some soon.)
>>
>> Comments will be appreciated.
>>
>> (Does any one have a favorite site for detailed reviews?)
>>

>> Danielle

John Barnes

It much depends on what you need. To work in x64 I bought a Brother
All-in-one. Drivers are available and work fine. The software does NOT work
so the scanner has to be used with another program. Since I don't know what
works and NONE of my x86 software will install or if it does, doesn't work.
I use the built in scanner software, and unfortunately have to go into x86
periodically to handle it the way I need it to.
Printer and Copier functions work perfectly.

"Danielle E" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e4%235MvZ$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My trusty HP812C has worked reliably for about 6 years now and is still
> going strong. However, I now have an application where a scanner would be
> handy.
>
> I find myself debating on the following:
>
> Separate scanner / printer or all in one?
>
> Manufacturer?
>
> If separate should printer and scanner be the same manufacturer?
>
> (I see Epson has some x64 drivers available now. It looks like Cannon is
> supposed to release some soon.)
>
> Comments will be appreciated.
>
> (Does any one have a favorite site for detailed reviews?)
>

> Danielle

Dominic Payer

See
http://esupport.epson-europe.com/Vie...001845688A94B2
for a list of Epson products supported under x64.

There are more and cheaper scanners supported than the 4490.

"Danielle E" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e5GfWMa$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On the web site the lowest cost Epson scanner I see with x64 drivers is
> the Epson Perfection 4490 photo that sells for $249.99. As I plan to use
> if for scanning text, it's a lot more scanner than I really need. Anyone
> see a lower cost one that is readily available? From what I see it seems
> that the X64 drivers are being introduced for the more expensive machines
> and not the lower cost ones.
>
> I want a flat bed scanner that wil scan 8 1/2 X 11.7 minimum.
>
> Although it may be difficult to elaborate, I wonder what problems people
> have been having with the all in one machines.
>
> I have found it difficult to find the compatible machines by doing web
> searches. I seem to find the incompatible ones.
>

> Danielle

> news:O5wpSEa$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Stay away as far as possible from All-In-Ones if you plan on using x64,
>> just buy a dedicated scanner, printer if you want a smooth experience.
>> Yes, lots of hardware but its better than lots of frustration. They don't
>> have to be the same manufacturer, just as long as they 64 bit native
>> device drivers.
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "Danielle E" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:e4%235MvZ$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> My trusty HP812C has worked reliably for about 6 years now and is still
>>> going strong. However, I now have an application where a scanner would
>>> be
>>> handy.
>>>
>>> I find myself debating on the following:
>>>
>>> Separate scanner / printer or all in one?
>>>
>>> Manufacturer?
>>>
>>> If separate should printer and scanner be the same manufacturer?
>>>
>>> (I see Epson has some x64 drivers available now. It looks like Cannon
>>> is
>>> supposed to release some soon.)
>>>
>>> Comments will be appreciated.
>>>
>>> (Does any one have a favorite site for detailed reviews?)
>>>

>>> Danielle

John Barnes

See my post below, but Brother has 2 models of All-in-ones that have x64
drivers for under $100. If you shop around and get the rebate you can go to
$60
"Danielle E" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e5GfWMa$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On the web site the lowest cost Epson scanner I see with x64 drivers is
> the Epson Perfection 4490 photo that sells for $249.99. As I plan to use
> if for scanning text, it's a lot more scanner than I really need. Anyone
> see a lower cost one that is readily available? From what I see it seems
> that the X64 drivers are being introduced for the more expensive machines
> and not the lower cost ones.
>
> I want a flat bed scanner that wil scan 8 1/2 X 11.7 minimum.
>
> Although it may be difficult to elaborate, I wonder what problems people
> have been having with the all in one machines.
>
> I have found it difficult to find the compatible machines by doing web
> searches. I seem to find the incompatible ones.
>

> Danielle

> news:O5wpSEa$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Stay away as far as possible from All-In-Ones if you plan on using x64,
>> just buy a dedicated scanner, printer if you want a smooth experience.
>> Yes, lots of hardware but its better than lots of frustration. They don't
>> have to be the same manufacturer, just as long as they 64 bit native
>> device drivers.
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "Danielle E" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:e4%235MvZ$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> My trusty HP812C has worked reliably for about 6 years now and is still
>>> going strong. However, I now have an application where a scanner would
>>> be
>>> handy.
>>>
>>> I find myself debating on the following:
>>>
>>> Separate scanner / printer or all in one?
>>>
>>> Manufacturer?
>>>
>>> If separate should printer and scanner be the same manufacturer?
>>>
>>> (I see Epson has some x64 drivers available now. It looks like Cannon
>>> is
>>> supposed to release some soon.)
>>>
>>> Comments will be appreciated.
>>>
>>> (Does any one have a favorite site for detailed reviews?)
>>>

>>> Danielle

Danielle E

Unfortunately, I believe a lot the lower cost ones listed there are no
longer available.

I have been looking at the following Epson page for available scanners.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/P....jsp?oid=-8172

Danielle

"Dominic Payer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e165sTa$(E-Mail Removed)...
> See
> http://esupport.epson-europe.com/Vie...001845688A94B2
> for a list of Epson products supported under x64.
>
> There are more and cheaper scanners supported than the 4490.
>

> "Danielle E" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:e5GfWMa$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On the web site the lowest cost Epson scanner I see with x64 drivers is
>> the Epson Perfection 4490 photo that sells for $249.99. As I plan to use
>> if for scanning text, it's a lot more scanner than I really need. Anyone
>> see a lower cost one that is readily available? From what I see it seems
>> that the X64 drivers are being introduced for the more expensive machines
>> and not the lower cost ones.
>>
>> I want a flat bed scanner that wil scan 8 1/2 X 11.7 minimum.
>>
>> Although it may be difficult to elaborate, I wonder what problems people
>> have been having with the all in one machines.
>>
>> I have found it difficult to find the compatible machines by doing web
>> searches. I seem to find the incompatible ones.
>>

>> Danielle

>> news:O5wpSEa$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Stay away as far as possible from All-In-Ones if you plan on using x64,
>>> just buy a dedicated scanner, printer if you want a smooth experience.
>>> Yes, lots of hardware but its better than lots of frustration. They
>>> don't have to be the same manufacturer, just as long as they 64 bit
>>> native device drivers.
>>> --
>>> Andre
>>>
>>> "Danielle E" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:e4%235MvZ$(E-Mail Removed)...

Wim Zefat

Just bought a Canon LiDE 500F. Works great, though I had to get the drivers
from the American website - no x64 drivers on the enclosed cd and none to
be found on Canon's European website. The American website has x64 versions
of the driver and the CanoScan Toolbox for this scanner though.

Wim

Op Sat, 10 Dec 2005 10:10:11 -0500 schreef Danielle E:

> My trusty HP812C has worked reliably for about 6 years now and is still
> going strong. However, I now have an application where a scanner would be
> handy.
>
> I find myself debating on the following:
>
> Separate scanner / printer or all in one?
>
> Manufacturer?
>
> If separate should printer and scanner be the same manufacturer?
>
> (I see Epson has some x64 drivers available now. It looks like Cannon is
> supposed to release some soon.)
>
> Comments will be appreciated.
>
> (Does any one have a favorite site for detailed reviews?)
>

> Danielle

Tony Sperling

Not to make arguments against anything that has been said, but I have to
throw in a word for the HP's - I have the psc 2355, lot's of trouble six
month's ago - then the pre-Beta drivers were issued and everything works
perfectly. It will not scan from the printer panel, like it should, but it
doesn't matter, the Control Panel Applet for Scanners and Cameras works with
it's own excellence, it's just something you have to adapt to.

And it's the nicest machine to look at,as well.

Tony. . .