Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > wusb54gp

wusb54gp

jefe

Is there a physical reason why a 64 bit driver cannot be written for a 32
bit device?? (ie wireless network card)

John Barnes

There is no such thing as a 32-bit device, so the answer is no, but there is
no reason that a 64-bit driver cannot be written for a device that has a
32-bit driver.

"jefe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a physical reason why a 64 bit driver cannot be written for a 32
> bit device?? (ie wireless network card)

Tony Sperling

What you are really asking for, I assume, is already in effect. I am not an
authority on the writing of 'device drivers', but I know it involves a
'header-part' that has to be 'assembly language'. Now, the header itself can
pretty much be included by a copy-paste operation, according to the type of
device in question, but the 'interface' to the high-level language
apparantly is a stumbeling block. People with sufficient knowledge, insight
and experience with assembly programming is in no abundant supply and the
hardware manufacturers are in all probability trying to manage their
resources with extreme strictness to prepare themselves for the transistion
to Vista, which may introduce further enhancements to the technology, so you
don't see a lot of them pressing on about the issue if the sales isn't of a
certain order.

That said - I have never understood Microsofts policy to sell the
development tools as corporate products only, with the prizing that follows,
if the corporate world undertook the least bit of effort to understand the
'open source' movement, they would clearly see that the number of able
programmers available would explode at the benefit of the entire industry,
since there is an enormous interest among the hobbyists to be able to
grapple with these things - I will mention my favorit issue, as an example -
the drivers for the Sidewinder family of hardware that was discontinued by
MS, still has drivers available for Linux. But those, of course, are open
source.

MS, recently released a 180day trial-version of the new Visual Studio
Express - an extremely commendable thing to do in my opinion, but I am quite
certain that it does not include the 'driver SDK', however, so drivers, in
the future too, will remain the perpetual waiting theme, I guess.

Tony. . .