Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Virtual Server 2005 R2 x64 Trial

Virtual Server 2005 R2 x64 Trial

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Rob Wilkens

What is this?

Is it like VirtualPC?

Do I want to run it? Keeping in mind that I _do_ have access to most of the
other server oerating systems and actually dd want to try out Windows Server
2003 installation (32-bit) yesterday after I got some junkmail from
Microsoft about a certification test which had my interest for maybe 10
minutes before I moved on to other things and forgot about it.

-Rob

news:Oyj45Gn%(E-Mail Removed)...
> x64 Version
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/i...splayLang%3den
>
> x86 Version
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/i...splayLang%3den
>
> More information about Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...r/default.mspx
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Its the server version of Virtual PC, with specific tools for managing
Server Operating Systems.

"Virtual Server 2005 R2 is the cost-effective server virtualization
technology engineered for the Windows Server System platform. As a key part
of any server consolidation strategy, Virtual Server increases hardware
utilization and enables organizations to rapidly configure and deploy new
servers."

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...soverview.mspx
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Rob Wilkens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:O8w9rPn%(E-Mail Removed)...
> What is this?
>
> Is it like VirtualPC?
>
> Do I want to run it? Keeping in mind that I _do_ have access to most of
> the other server oerating systems and actually dd want to try out Windows
> Server 2003 installation (32-bit) yesterday after I got some junkmail from
> Microsoft about a certification test which had my interest for maybe 10
> minutes before I moved on to other things and forgot about it.
>
> -Rob

> news:Oyj45Gn%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> x64 Version
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/i...splayLang%3den
>>
>> x86 Version
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/i...splayLang%3den
>>
>> More information about Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...r/default.mspx
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

Ted

In simple words, what is it, and what does it do ?
Is it a server software add-on ? or is it another server version ?

news:%23$hauXn%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Its the server version of Virtual PC, with specific tools for managing
> Server Operating Systems.
>
> "Virtual Server 2005 R2 is the cost-effective server virtualization
> technology engineered for the Windows Server System platform. As a key
> part of any server consolidation strategy, Virtual Server increases
> hardware utilization and enables organizations to rapidly configure and
> deploy new servers."
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...soverview.mspx
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "Rob Wilkens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:O8w9rPn%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> What is this?
>>
>> Is it like VirtualPC?
>>
>> Do I want to run it? Keeping in mind that I _do_ have access to most of
>> the other server oerating systems and actually dd want to try out Windows
>> Server 2003 installation (32-bit) yesterday after I got some junkmail
>> from Microsoft about a certification test which had my interest for maybe
>> 10 minutes before I moved on to other things and forgot about it.
>>
>> -Rob

>> news:Oyj45Gn%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> x64 Version
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/i...splayLang%3den
>>>
>>> x86 Version
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/i...splayLang%3den
>>>
>>> More information about Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...r/default.mspx
>>> --
>>> Andre

Colin Barnhorst

It is neither one. Just as VPC is a virtual machine manager for running
client (desktop) operating systems on your XP desktop in windows, Virtual
Server is a virtual machine manager for running server operating systems the
same way. VPC and Virtual Server are siblings and perform complementary
services. There is a lot of overlap in what they can do. Andre is
mentioning Virtual Server because the new Virtual Server 2005 R2 runs on XP
x64 and VPC does not.

"Ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e8L9Ieo%(E-Mail Removed)...
> In simple words, what is it, and what does it do ?
> Is it a server software add-on ? or is it another server version ?

> news:%23$hauXn%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Its the server version of Virtual PC, with specific tools for managing
>> Server Operating Systems.
>>
>> "Virtual Server 2005 R2 is the cost-effective server virtualization
>> technology engineered for the Windows Server System platform. As a key
>> part of any server consolidation strategy, Virtual Server increases
>> hardware utilization and enables organizations to rapidly configure and
>> deploy new servers."
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...soverview.mspx
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "Rob Wilkens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:O8w9rPn%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> What is this?
>>>
>>> Is it like VirtualPC?
>>>
>>> Do I want to run it? Keeping in mind that I _do_ have access to most of
>>> the other server oerating systems and actually dd want to try out
>>> Windows Server 2003 installation (32-bit) yesterday after I got some
>>> junkmail from Microsoft about a certification test which had my interest
>>> for maybe 10 minutes before I moved on to other things and forgot about
>>> it.
>>>
>>> -Rob
>>>

>>> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:Oyj45Gn%(E-Mail Removed)...

Tony Sperling

I was planning on going VMware, myself - they haven't bothered answering my
e-mail, though, and the product does seem to still have trouble with DirectX
and stuff. . .will VS be suitable for a Home Desktop, in your mind? I mean -
I am not currently running any Server of any kind, but I don't imagine I
would like the virtual machine to completely substitute for my dual-boot,
but rather network one other physical machine for that job and have Linux as
the virtual one. Perhaps?

Tony. . .

news:uvXVI4o%(E-Mail Removed)...
> It is neither one. Just as VPC is a virtual machine manager for running
> client (desktop) operating systems on your XP desktop in windows, Virtual
> Server is a virtual machine manager for running server operating systems
> the same way. VPC and Virtual Server are siblings and perform
> complementary services. There is a lot of overlap in what they can do.
> Andre is mentioning Virtual Server because the new Virtual Server 2005 R2
> runs on XP x64 and VPC does not.

> "Ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:e8L9Ieo%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In simple words, what is it, and what does it do ?
>> Is it a server software add-on ? or is it another server version ?

>> news:%23$hauXn%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Its the server version of Virtual PC, with specific tools for managing
>>> Server Operating Systems.
>>>
>>> "Virtual Server 2005 R2 is the cost-effective server virtualization
>>> technology engineered for the Windows Server System platform. As a key
>>> part of any server consolidation strategy, Virtual Server increases
>>> hardware utilization and enables organizations to rapidly configure and
>>> deploy new servers."
>>>
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...soverview.mspx
>>> --
>>> Andre
>>>
>>> "Rob Wilkens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:O8w9rPn%(E-Mail Removed)...

Colin Barnhorst

Give the trial a go now that it is available. What have you got to lose?

news:ugZ1m%23p%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was planning on going VMware, myself - they haven't bothered answering my
>e-mail, though, and the product does seem to still have trouble with
>DirectX and stuff. . .will VS be suitable for a Home Desktop, in your mind?
>I mean - I am not currently running any Server of any kind, but I don't
>imagine I would like the virtual machine to completely substitute for my
>dual-boot, but rather network one other physical machine for that job and
>have Linux as the virtual one. Perhaps?
>

> Tony. . .

> news:uvXVI4o%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> It is neither one. Just as VPC is a virtual machine manager for running
>> client (desktop) operating systems on your XP desktop in windows, Virtual
>> Server is a virtual machine manager for running server operating systems
>> the same way. VPC and Virtual Server are siblings and perform
>> complementary services. There is a lot of overlap in what they can do.
>> Andre is mentioning Virtual Server because the new Virtual Server 2005 R2
>> runs on XP x64 and VPC does not.
>>
>> --
>> "Ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:e8L9Ieo%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> In simple words, what is it, and what does it do ?
>>> Is it a server software add-on ? or is it another server version ?
>>>

>>> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%23$hauXn%(E-Mail Removed)...

Tony Sperling

Great! Thanks!

Tony. . .

news:OKgHPNq%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Give the trial a go now that it is available. What have you got to lose?

> news:ugZ1m%23p%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I was planning on going VMware, myself - they haven't bothered answering
>>my e-mail, though, and the product does seem to still have trouble with
>>DirectX and stuff. . .will VS be suitable for a Home Desktop, in your
>>mind? I mean - I am not currently running any Server of any kind, but I
>>don't imagine I would like the virtual machine to completely substitute
>>for my dual-boot, but rather network one other physical machine for that
>>job and have Linux as the virtual one. Perhaps?
>>

>> Tony. . .

>> news:uvXVI4o%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> It is neither one. Just as VPC is a virtual machine manager for running
>>> client (desktop) operating systems on your XP desktop in windows,
>>> Virtual Server is a virtual machine manager for running server operating
>>> systems the same way. VPC and Virtual Server are siblings and perform
>>> complementary services. There is a lot of overlap in what they can do.
>>> Andre is mentioning Virtual Server because the new Virtual Server 2005
>>> R2 runs on XP x64 and VPC does not.
>>>
>>> --
>>> "Ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:e8L9Ieo%(E-Mail Removed)...

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

15 mins + the download time.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:OKgHPNq%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Give the trial a go now that it is available. What have you got to lose?

> news:ugZ1m%23p%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I was planning on going VMware, myself - they haven't bothered answering
>>my e-mail, though, and the product does seem to still have trouble with
>>DirectX and stuff. . .will VS be suitable for a Home Desktop, in your
>>mind? I mean - I am not currently running any Server of any kind, but I
>>don't imagine I would like the virtual machine to completely substitute
>>for my dual-boot, but rather network one other physical machine for that
>>job and have Linux as the virtual one. Perhaps?
>>

>> Tony. . .

>> news:uvXVI4o%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> It is neither one. Just as VPC is a virtual machine manager for running
>>> client (desktop) operating systems on your XP desktop in windows,
>>> Virtual Server is a virtual machine manager for running server operating
>>> systems the same way. VPC and Virtual Server are siblings and perform
>>> complementary services. There is a lot of overlap in what they can do.
>>> Andre is mentioning Virtual Server because the new Virtual Server 2005
>>> R2 runs on XP x64 and VPC does not.
>>>
>>> --
>>> "Ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:e8L9Ieo%(E-Mail Removed)...

Tony Sperling

O.K. - It has landed, is there anything you can think of that I need to know
before launching the setup?

I am about to have a look at the FAQ now, but it is usually quite
superficial.

Hey - this is exciting!

Tony. . .

news:OKgHPNq%(E-Mail Removed)...