Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Virtual Server 2005 R2 x64 Trial

Virtual Server 2005 R2 x64 Trial

Charlie Russel - MVP

Just remember, Virtual Machine Remote Client is your friend. (With a(n
inter)face like that, it had better be.) Trying to work with virtual
machines in a web page is an idea whose time has not come, IMHO. The web
page is ok for configuration, but stinks for actually interfacing with the
virtual machine.VMRC is the ticket for that.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Ted wrote:
> I wish they had step by step setup instructions, so a person
> can understand what to be facing.

> news:uGAbGWu%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You should navigate to the Virtual Server home page at
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...r/default.mspx
>> and click on the "Read the product overview" link.
>>
>> Virtual Server can run a number of x86 operating systems simultaneously,
>> depending on your computers resources. The range of operating systems
>> are from DOS through Server 2003 and hundreds of Linux and other *nix
>> systems. See http://vpc.visualwin.com/ (the list for VPC is relevant for
>> Virtual Server also).
>>
>> Virtual Server manages 'guest' virtual machines that are run on the
>> 'host' operating system. Dual booting is not involved. The boot.ini
>> file is not involved. Forget everything you ever knew about multbooting.
>>
>> The virtual machines each have their own virtual hard drives which are
>> just files on the host storage system. You do not partition any host
>> drives to use virtual machines.
>>
>> You must install guest operating systems the same way you would install
>> them on physical computers. You must have an available license for each
>> operating system you run in a virtual machine just like you would on any
>> physical machine.
>>
>> The whole point of virtual machines is that you do not have to reboot to
>> run operating systems of your choosing.
>>
>> After installing VS R2 trial you will find docs in the Virtual Server
>> folder.
>>
>> --
>> "Ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:OFl3uAu%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I am sorry, this is new to me.
>>>
>>> The way I understood, it is a software that can run two
>>> operating systems at the same time.
>>> Anything above and including XP Pro.
>>>
>>> How does it work ?
>>> Do you install both OS in two separate hard drives,
>>> push a button and it will switch to the other operating
>>> system ?
>>> If true, then I can install it, install the second drive
>>> I dual boot to XP 64 drive. ?
>>> Does it have a command line in the Boot.ini ?
>>>
>>> When you switch to other OS, does it reboot the first
>>> time you run it, or boots both OSs at the same time ?
>>>
>>> If one OS is corrupt and would not load, what happens ?
>>>
>>> Can you copy files from one OS hard drive to the other ?
>>>
>>> Is the other OS stays running or it halts, or does it stay
>>> running of the other processor ?
>>> Is dual core good enough, or need two separate processors ?
>>> Would my available memory drop in half ?
>>>
>>> Many thanks.
>>>

>>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(remove)@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> news:uvXVI4o%(E-Mail Removed)...

Tony Sperling

I intend to venture making the installation over the weekend. I have a mind
to collect my own novice-thoughts to the benefit of the curious of this
group - if someone doesn't beat me to it. Having skimmed through some of the
written material, I must say I was very surprised to learn that the software
emulates an antiquated graphics card with 4MB memory(!!!), I am increasingly
sceptic about wether or not I will be able to use this for anything
worth-while. . .but we shall see?

Tony. . .

"Ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23ggzRfu%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I wish they had step by step setup instructions, so a person
> can understand what to be facing.

> news:uGAbGWu%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You should navigate to the Virtual Server home page at
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...r/default.mspx
>> and click on the "Read the product overview" link.
>>
>> Virtual Server can run a number of x86 operating systems simultaneously,
>> depending on your computers resources. The range of operating systems
>> are from DOS through Server 2003 and hundreds of Linux and other *nix
>> systems. See http://vpc.visualwin.com/ (the list for VPC is relevant for
>> Virtual Server also).
>>
>> Virtual Server manages 'guest' virtual machines that are run on the
>> 'host' operating system. Dual booting is not involved. The boot.ini
>> file is not involved. Forget everything you ever knew about multbooting.
>>
>> The virtual machines each have their own virtual hard drives which are
>> just files on the host storage system. You do not partition any host
>> drives to use virtual machines.
>>
>> You must install guest operating systems the same way you would install
>> them on physical computers. You must have an available license for each
>> operating system you run in a virtual machine just like you would on any
>> physical machine.
>>
>> The whole point of virtual machines is that you do not have to reboot to
>> run operating systems of your choosing.
>>
>> After installing VS R2 trial you will find docs in the Virtual Server
>> folder.
>>
>> --
>> "Ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:OFl3uAu%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I am sorry, this is new to me.
>>>
>>> The way I understood, it is a software that can run two
>>> operating systems at the same time.
>>> Anything above and including XP Pro.
>>>
>>> How does it work ?
>>> Do you install both OS in two separate hard drives,
>>> push a button and it will switch to the other operating
>>> system ?
>>> If true, then I can install it, install the second drive
>>> I dual boot to XP 64 drive. ?
>>> Does it have a command line in the Boot.ini ?
>>>
>>> When you switch to other OS, does it reboot the first
>>> time you run it, or boots both OSs at the same time ?
>>>
>>> If one OS is corrupt and would not load, what happens ?
>>>
>>> Can you copy files from one OS hard drive to the other ?
>>>
>>> Is the other OS stays running or it halts, or does it stay
>>> running of the other processor ?
>>> Is dual core good enough, or need two separate processors ?
>>> Would my available memory drop in half ?
>>>
>>> Many thanks.
>>>

>>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(remove)@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> news:uvXVI4o%(E-Mail Removed)...

Colin Barnhorst

It is 8MB once the vm additions are installed. There are no additions for
Linux, so in Linux use the Vesa driver where available to achieve 8MB
(usually not necessary).
See http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy...21/494961.aspx for
an explanation as to why 8MB is sufficient on a 2D graphics card. This
supports 1600x1200 resolution and 32-bit color depth.

Buried among the comments is the little advertised method for adjusting this
value (8MB) by editing the .vmc file.

news:%23inhIcx%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I intend to venture making the installation over the weekend. I have a mind
>to collect my own novice-thoughts to the benefit of the curious of this
>group - if someone doesn't beat me to it. Having skimmed through some of
>the written material, I must say I was very surprised to learn that the
>software emulates an antiquated graphics card with 4MB memory(!!!), I am
>increasingly sceptic about wether or not I will be able to use this for
>anything worth-while. . .but we shall see?
>

> Tony. . .
>

> "Ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23ggzRfu%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I wish they had step by step setup instructions, so a person
>> can understand what to be facing.

>> news:uGAbGWu%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> You should navigate to the Virtual Server home page at
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...r/default.mspx
>>> and click on the "Read the product overview" link.
>>>
>>> Virtual Server can run a number of x86 operating systems simultaneously,
>>> depending on your computers resources. The range of operating systems
>>> are from DOS through Server 2003 and hundreds of Linux and other *nix
>>> systems. See http://vpc.visualwin.com/ (the list for VPC is relevant for
>>> Virtual Server also).
>>>
>>> Virtual Server manages 'guest' virtual machines that are run on the
>>> 'host' operating system. Dual booting is not involved. The boot.ini
>>> file is not involved. Forget everything you ever knew about
>>> multbooting.
>>>
>>> The virtual machines each have their own virtual hard drives which are
>>> just files on the host storage system. You do not partition any host
>>> drives to use virtual machines.
>>>
>>> You must install guest operating systems the same way you would install
>>> them on physical computers. You must have an available license for each
>>> operating system you run in a virtual machine just like you would on any
>>> physical machine.
>>>
>>> The whole point of virtual machines is that you do not have to reboot to
>>> run operating systems of your choosing.
>>>
>>> After installing VS R2 trial you will find docs in the Virtual Server
>>> folder.
>>>
>>> --
>>> "Ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:OFl3uAu%(E-Mail Removed)...

Tony Sperling

Thank you, Colin - so, there is some light at the end of the tunnel, and
mentioning linux. . .the FAQ says it is not supported at all - and only
32bit guests to (boot)?

Tony. . .

news:uqM6IP0%(E-Mail Removed)...
> It is 8MB once the vm additions are installed. There are no additions for
> Linux, so in Linux use the Vesa driver where available to achieve 8MB
> (usually not necessary).
> See http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy...21/494961.aspx
> for an explanation as to why 8MB is sufficient on a 2D graphics card.
> This supports 1600x1200 resolution and 32-bit color depth.
>
> Buried among the comments is the little advertised method for adjusting
> this value (8MB) by editing the .vmc file.

> news:%23inhIcx%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I intend to venture making the installation over the weekend. I have a
>>mind to collect my own novice-thoughts to the benefit of the curious of
>>this group - if someone doesn't beat me to it. Having skimmed through some
>>of the written material, I must say I was very surprised to learn that the
>>software emulates an antiquated graphics card with 4MB memory(!!!), I am
>>increasingly sceptic about wether or not I will be able to use this for
>>anything worth-while. . .but we shall see?
>>

>> Tony. . .
>>

>> "Ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%23ggzRfu%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I wish they had step by step setup instructions, so a person
>>> can understand what to be facing.
>>>

>>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(remove)@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> news:uGAbGWu%(E-Mail Removed)...

Colin Barnhorst

"Not supported" does not mean "Doesn't run." Support refers to Microsoft
Product Support Services, not whether or not an operating system installs
and runs correctly.

Support for a couple of specific Linux enterprise distros will be announced
in a few months and Linux Additions will be released for them at that time
also.

news:O0jFTL1%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thank you, Colin - so, there is some light at the end of the tunnel, and
> mentioning linux. . .the FAQ says it is not supported at all - and only
> 32bit guests to (boot)?
>

> Tony. . .

> news:uqM6IP0%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> It is 8MB once the vm additions are installed. There are no additions
>> for Linux, so in Linux use the Vesa driver where available to achieve 8MB
>> (usually not necessary).
>> See http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy...21/494961.aspx
>> for an explanation as to why 8MB is sufficient on a 2D graphics card.
>> This supports 1600x1200 resolution and 32-bit color depth.
>>
>> Buried among the comments is the little advertised method for adjusting
>> this value (8MB) by editing the .vmc file.
>>
>> --
>> "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%23inhIcx%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I intend to venture making the installation over the weekend. I have a
>>>mind to collect my own novice-thoughts to the benefit of the curious of
>>>this group - if someone doesn't beat me to it. Having skimmed through
>>>some of the written material, I must say I was very surprised to learn
>>>that the software emulates an antiquated graphics card with 4MB
>>>memory(!!!), I am increasingly sceptic about wether or not I will be able
>>>to use this for anything worth-while. . .but we shall see?
>>>

>>> Tony. . .
>>>

>>> "Ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%23ggzRfu%(E-Mail Removed)...

Colin Barnhorst

Virtual Server 2005 R2 is not capable of running any 64-bit guests.

news:O0jFTL1%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thank you, Colin - so, there is some light at the end of the tunnel, and
> mentioning linux. . .the FAQ says it is not supported at all - and only
> 32bit guests to (boot)?
>

> Tony. . .

> news:uqM6IP0%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> It is 8MB once the vm additions are installed. There are no additions
>> for Linux, so in Linux use the Vesa driver where available to achieve 8MB
>> (usually not necessary).
>> See http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy...21/494961.aspx
>> for an explanation as to why 8MB is sufficient on a 2D graphics card.
>> This supports 1600x1200 resolution and 32-bit color depth.
>>
>> Buried among the comments is the little advertised method for adjusting
>> this value (8MB) by editing the .vmc file.
>>
>> --
>> "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%23inhIcx%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I intend to venture making the installation over the weekend. I have a
>>>mind to collect my own novice-thoughts to the benefit of the curious of
>>>this group - if someone doesn't beat me to it. Having skimmed through
>>>some of the written material, I must say I was very surprised to learn
>>>that the software emulates an antiquated graphics card with 4MB
>>>memory(!!!), I am increasingly sceptic about wether or not I will be able
>>>to use this for anything worth-while. . .but we shall see?
>>>

>>> Tony. . .
>>>

>>> "Ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%23ggzRfu%(E-Mail Removed)...

Ted

Would it work with my iPod ? just kidding.
It seems I just have to install it and find out.
The word Virtual never sank in my brain.
Many thanks.

news:OW%23FYvv%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just remember, Virtual Machine Remote Client is your friend. (With a(n
> inter)face like that, it had better be.) Trying to work with virtual
> machines in a web page is an idea whose time has not come, IMHO. The web
> page is ok for configuration, but stinks for actually interfacing with the
> virtual machine.VMRC is the ticket for that.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Ted wrote:
>> I wish they had step by step setup instructions, so a person
>> can understand what to be facing.

>> news:uGAbGWu%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> You should navigate to the Virtual Server home page at
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...r/default.mspx
>>> and click on the "Read the product overview" link.
>>>
>>> Virtual Server can run a number of x86 operating systems simultaneously,
>>> depending on your computers resources. The range of operating systems
>>> are from DOS through Server 2003 and hundreds of Linux and other *nix
>>> systems. See http://vpc.visualwin.com/ (the list for VPC is relevant for
>>> Virtual Server also).
>>>
>>> Virtual Server manages 'guest' virtual machines that are run on the
>>> 'host' operating system. Dual booting is not involved. The boot.ini
>>> file is not involved. Forget everything you ever knew about
>>> multbooting.
>>>
>>> The virtual machines each have their own virtual hard drives which are
>>> just files on the host storage system. You do not partition any host
>>> drives to use virtual machines.
>>>
>>> You must install guest operating systems the same way you would install
>>> them on physical computers. You must have an available license for each
>>> operating system you run in a virtual machine just like you would on any
>>> physical machine.
>>>
>>> The whole point of virtual machines is that you do not have to reboot to
>>> run operating systems of your choosing.
>>>
>>> After installing VS R2 trial you will find docs in the Virtual Server
>>> folder.
>>>
>>> --
>>> "Ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:OFl3uAu%(E-Mail Removed)...

Tony Sperling

Boy, am I glad to hear that!

This actually brings on one more question - Am I correct in supposing that
the Virtual HD will not require any dedicated drivers for the installation
of Guest OS's on my existing RAID?

(I realize it is a weird question, but it's a bit of a weird issue - I am
having trouble formulating myself)

Tony. . .

news:eRKDnT1%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Virtual Server 2005 R2 is not capable of running any 64-bit guests.

> news:O0jFTL1%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thank you, Colin - so, there is some light at the end of the tunnel, and
>> mentioning linux. . .the FAQ says it is not supported at all - and only
>> 32bit guests to (boot)?
>>

>> Tony. . .

>> news:uqM6IP0%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> It is 8MB once the vm additions are installed. There are no additions
>>> for Linux, so in Linux use the Vesa driver where available to achieve
>>> 8MB (usually not necessary).
>>> See http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy...21/494961.aspx
>>> for an explanation as to why 8MB is sufficient on a 2D graphics card.
>>> This supports 1600x1200 resolution and 32-bit color depth.
>>>
>>> Buried among the comments is the little advertised method for adjusting
>>> this value (8MB) by editing the .vmc file.
>>>
>>> --
>>> "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%23inhIcx%(E-Mail Removed)...

Colin Barnhorst

Virtual Server presents emulated hard drive controllers to the guests just
like the rest of the emulated hardware. The virtual machines don't know or
care about the storage system on the host. That's why I can save a file to
my virtual machine's hard drive on its virtual IDE controller and the write
winds up in a .vhd file some where on my host's second SATA drive.

news:Oq8GQc2%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Boy, am I glad to hear that!
>
> This actually brings on one more question - Am I correct in supposing
> that the Virtual HD will not require any dedicated drivers for the
> installation of Guest OS's on my existing RAID?
>
> (I realize it is a weird question, but it's a bit of a weird issue - I am
> having trouble formulating myself)
>
> Tony. . .

> news:eRKDnT1%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Virtual Server 2005 R2 is not capable of running any 64-bit guests.
>>
>> --
>> "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:O0jFTL1%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Thank you, Colin - so, there is some light at the end of the tunnel, and
>>> mentioning linux. . .the FAQ says it is not supported at all - and only
>>> 32bit guests to (boot)?
>>>

>>> Tony. . .
>>>

>>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(remove)@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> news:uqM6IP0%(E-Mail Removed)...