Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > BSOD when upgrading memory?

Reply
Thread Tools

BSOD when upgrading memory?

 
 
Arty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-06-2005
Would anyone have any ideas as to why my system, Win x64 dual boot,
would have the BSOD, reboots quickly so cannot read message, after
changing my memory from 2 512MB sticks to 2 1GB sticks?

I tested the 1GB sticks another system with the same model MB and all
worked fine.

If I try to boot into XP 32-bit, I get an error telling me the
NTOSKRNL.EXE is corrupt, but when I put the 2 512MB sticks back in the
system works fine.

I have: MSI K8T Neo-F (skt 754)
Athlon 64 3000+
2 Hitachi SATA drive NON-RAID
GeForce FX 5500


TIA
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Rob Wilkens
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-06-2005
What kind of memory was yours before and after (PC2700, PC3200, etc.).. Also
are BIOS settings for memory bus clock speed equivelant and correct on both
motherboards, and is it the same processor in both?


"Arty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:O5bBU$m%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Would anyone have any ideas as to why my system, Win x64 dual boot, would
> have the BSOD, reboots quickly so cannot read message, after changing my
> memory from 2 512MB sticks to 2 1GB sticks?
>
> I tested the 1GB sticks another system with the same model MB and all
> worked fine.
>
> If I try to boot into XP 32-bit, I get an error telling me the
> NTOSKRNL.EXE is corrupt, but when I put the 2 512MB sticks back in the
> system works fine.
>
> I have: MSI K8T Neo-F (skt 754)
> Athlon 64 3000+
> 2 Hitachi SATA drive NON-RAID
> GeForce FX 5500
>
>
> TIA



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tony Sperling
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-06-2005
My first hunch would be to look in the BIOS Set-up, see if the memory is
recognized, check that whatever it says is making sense.

You didn't buy DDR2 memory, did you? I don't think that the AMD's support
that.


Tony. . .


"Arty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:O5bBU$m%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Would anyone have any ideas as to why my system, Win x64 dual boot, would
> have the BSOD, reboots quickly so cannot read message, after changing my
> memory from 2 512MB sticks to 2 1GB sticks?
>
> I tested the 1GB sticks another system with the same model MB and all
> worked fine.
>
> If I try to boot into XP 32-bit, I get an error telling me the
> NTOSKRNL.EXE is corrupt, but when I put the 2 512MB sticks back in the
> system works fine.
>
> I have: MSI K8T Neo-F (skt 754)
> Athlon 64 3000+
> 2 Hitachi SATA drive NON-RAID
> GeForce FX 5500
>
>
> TIA



 
Reply With Quote
 
Arty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-06-2005
The mb that wouldn't boot has a 3000+ with PC3200 512MB modules and the
1GB modules are PC3200. Memory timing and voltage are set to "AUTO" on
both mb's and the memory count during boot-up recognizes all RAM. Both
the 512MB's and the 1GB's were bought in pairs.

The mb that did boot has a 2800+ with PC2700 modules.


Rob Wilkens wrote:
> What kind of memory was yours before and after (PC2700, PC3200, etc.).. Also
> are BIOS settings for memory bus clock speed equivelant and correct on both
> motherboards, and is it the same processor in both?
>
>
> "Arty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:O5bBU$m%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Would anyone have any ideas as to why my system, Win x64 dual boot, would
>> have the BSOD, reboots quickly so cannot read message, after changing my
>> memory from 2 512MB sticks to 2 1GB sticks?
>>
>> I tested the 1GB sticks another system with the same model MB and all
>> worked fine.
>>
>> If I try to boot into XP 32-bit, I get an error telling me the
>> NTOSKRNL.EXE is corrupt, but when I put the 2 512MB sticks back in the
>> system works fine.
>>
>> I have: MSI K8T Neo-F (skt 754)
>> Athlon 64 3000+
>> 2 Hitachi SATA drive NON-RAID
>> GeForce FX 5500
>>
>>
>> TIA

>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Arty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-06-2005
All the memory is recognized correctly during boot-up.

I don't think DDR2 modules will fit in DDR1 slots.


Tony Sperling wrote:
> My first hunch would be to look in the BIOS Set-up, see if the memory is
> recognized, check that whatever it says is making sense.
>
> You didn't buy DDR2 memory, did you? I don't think that the AMD's support
> that.
>
>
> Tony. . .
>
>
> "Arty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:O5bBU$m%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Would anyone have any ideas as to why my system, Win x64 dual boot, would
>> have the BSOD, reboots quickly so cannot read message, after changing my
>> memory from 2 512MB sticks to 2 1GB sticks?
>>
>> I tested the 1GB sticks another system with the same model MB and all
>> worked fine.
>>
>> If I try to boot into XP 32-bit, I get an error telling me the
>> NTOSKRNL.EXE is corrupt, but when I put the 2 512MB sticks back in the
>> system works fine.
>>
>> I have: MSI K8T Neo-F (skt 754)
>> Athlon 64 3000+
>> 2 Hitachi SATA drive NON-RAID
>> GeForce FX 5500
>>
>>
>> TIA

>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
John Barnes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-06-2005
You should also check the timings to make sure auto chose the correct
settings. Are they the same on both boards?


"Arty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Ojnk$go%(E-Mail Removed)...
> The mb that wouldn't boot has a 3000+ with PC3200 512MB modules and the
> 1GB modules are PC3200. Memory timing and voltage are set to "AUTO" on
> both mb's and the memory count during boot-up recognizes all RAM. Both
> the 512MB's and the 1GB's were bought in pairs.
>
> The mb that did boot has a 2800+ with PC2700 modules.
>
>
> Rob Wilkens wrote:
>> What kind of memory was yours before and after (PC2700, PC3200, etc.)..
>> Also are BIOS settings for memory bus clock speed equivelant and correct
>> on both motherboards, and is it the same processor in both?
>>
>>
>> "Arty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:O5bBU$m%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Would anyone have any ideas as to why my system, Win x64 dual boot,
>>> would have the BSOD, reboots quickly so cannot read message, after
>>> changing my memory from 2 512MB sticks to 2 1GB sticks?
>>>
>>> I tested the 1GB sticks another system with the same model MB and all
>>> worked fine.
>>>
>>> If I try to boot into XP 32-bit, I get an error telling me the
>>> NTOSKRNL.EXE is corrupt, but when I put the 2 512MB sticks back in the
>>> system works fine.
>>>
>>> I have: MSI K8T Neo-F (skt 754)
>>> Athlon 64 3000+
>>> 2 Hitachi SATA drive NON-RAID
>>> GeForce FX 5500
>>>
>>>
>>> TIA

>>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Arty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-06-2005
Yes, they come up right on both boards. I ran MemTest86 on each of them
separately and found errors on one module.

I am currently running Microsoft's WinDiag and it has not revealed any
errors. This would lead me to believe Microsoft's WinDiag may not be an
effective test!

Apparently I had them installed in a sequence that allowed Windows to
boot up when I tested them on the other system. I never was able to get
Windows - neither 32 nor 64 bit, to boot on this system with both
modules, but did finally with the one that passed MemTest86.


John Barnes wrote:
> You should also check the timings to make sure auto chose the correct
> settings. Are they the same on both boards?
>
>
> "Arty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Ojnk$go%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The mb that wouldn't boot has a 3000+ with PC3200 512MB modules and the
>> 1GB modules are PC3200. Memory timing and voltage are set to "AUTO" on
>> both mb's and the memory count during boot-up recognizes all RAM. Both
>> the 512MB's and the 1GB's were bought in pairs.
>>
>> The mb that did boot has a 2800+ with PC2700 modules.
>>
>>
>> Rob Wilkens wrote:
>>> What kind of memory was yours before and after (PC2700, PC3200, etc.)..
>>> Also are BIOS settings for memory bus clock speed equivelant and correct
>>> on both motherboards, and is it the same processor in both?
>>>
>>>
>>> "Arty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:O5bBU$m%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>> Would anyone have any ideas as to why my system, Win x64 dual boot,
>>>> would have the BSOD, reboots quickly so cannot read message, after
>>>> changing my memory from 2 512MB sticks to 2 1GB sticks?
>>>>
>>>> I tested the 1GB sticks another system with the same model MB and all
>>>> worked fine.
>>>>
>>>> If I try to boot into XP 32-bit, I get an error telling me the
>>>> NTOSKRNL.EXE is corrupt, but when I put the 2 512MB sticks back in the
>>>> system works fine.
>>>>
>>>> I have: MSI K8T Neo-F (skt 754)
>>>> Athlon 64 3000+
>>>> 2 Hitachi SATA drive NON-RAID
>>>> GeForce FX 5500
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> TIA

>

 
Reply With Quote
 
John Barnes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-06-2005
Looks like you have it solved. Good luck.


"Arty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OYnsUDp%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, they come up right on both boards. I ran MemTest86 on each of them
> separately and found errors on one module.
>
> I am currently running Microsoft's WinDiag and it has not revealed any
> errors. This would lead me to believe Microsoft's WinDiag may not be an
> effective test!
>
> Apparently I had them installed in a sequence that allowed Windows to boot
> up when I tested them on the other system. I never was able to get
> Windows - neither 32 nor 64 bit, to boot on this system with both modules,
> but did finally with the one that passed MemTest86.
>
>
> John Barnes wrote:
>> You should also check the timings to make sure auto chose the correct
>> settings. Are they the same on both boards?
>>
>>
>> "Arty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:Ojnk$go%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> The mb that wouldn't boot has a 3000+ with PC3200 512MB modules and the
>>> 1GB modules are PC3200. Memory timing and voltage are set to "AUTO" on
>>> both mb's and the memory count during boot-up recognizes all RAM. Both
>>> the 512MB's and the 1GB's were bought in pairs.
>>>
>>> The mb that did boot has a 2800+ with PC2700 modules.
>>>
>>>
>>> Rob Wilkens wrote:
>>>> What kind of memory was yours before and after (PC2700, PC3200, etc.)..
>>>> Also are BIOS settings for memory bus clock speed equivelant and
>>>> correct on both motherboards, and is it the same processor in both?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> "Arty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>> news:O5bBU$m%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>> Would anyone have any ideas as to why my system, Win x64 dual boot,
>>>>> would have the BSOD, reboots quickly so cannot read message, after
>>>>> changing my memory from 2 512MB sticks to 2 1GB sticks?
>>>>>
>>>>> I tested the 1GB sticks another system with the same model MB and all
>>>>> worked fine.
>>>>>
>>>>> If I try to boot into XP 32-bit, I get an error telling me the
>>>>> NTOSKRNL.EXE is corrupt, but when I put the 2 512MB sticks back in
>>>>> the system works fine.
>>>>>
>>>>> I have: MSI K8T Neo-F (skt 754)
>>>>> Athlon 64 3000+
>>>>> 2 Hitachi SATA drive NON-RAID
>>>>> GeForce FX 5500
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> TIA

>>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Gillespie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-06-2005
On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 18:13:58 -0000, Arty <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> I am currently running Microsoft's WinDiag and it has not revealed any
> errors. This would lead me to believe Microsoft's WinDiag may not be an
> effective test!


Yep same conclusion here, several PC's with faulty memory passed the
Microsoft test. Memtest86+ is pretty reliable at pickup up memory
problems...
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bruce Chambers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-07-2005
Arty wrote:
> Would anyone have any ideas as to why my system, Win x64 dual boot,
> would have the BSOD, reboots quickly so cannot read message, after
> changing my memory from 2 512MB sticks to 2 1GB sticks?
>
> I tested the 1GB sticks another system with the same model MB and all
> worked fine.
>
> If I try to boot into XP 32-bit, I get an error telling me the
> NTOSKRNL.EXE is corrupt, but when I put the 2 512MB sticks back in the
> system works fine.
>
> I have: MSI K8T Neo-F (skt 754)
> Athlon 64 3000+
> 2 Hitachi SATA drive NON-RAID
> GeForce FX 5500
>
>



It is absolutely essential that any new RAM module(s) be fully
compatible with both the motherboard and/or any other RAM module(s)
already in the system. Additionally, there are sometimes jumper
switches on older motherboards that need to be reset for new RAM
configurations. Consult your motherboard's manual or the manufacturer's
web site for specific instructions and compatibility requirements.

If you cannot lay your hands upon the computer's manual and the
manufacturer doesn't provide a support web site, you can use these
utilities to help determine the correct type of RAM needed:

SiSoft's Sandra
http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.ph...are_dl&lang=en

Belarc Advisor
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Unlimited Possibilities' AIDA32
http://forum.aumha.org/overflow/aida32.zip

Lavalys' Everest Home
http://www.lavalys.com/products/over...?pid=1&lang=en

Also, Crucial Memory's web site (www.crucial.com) has a database
to help to find the right RAM for your specific make and model
computer and/or motherboard.

Beyond that, to get started troubleshooting the cause of your
problems, we'll need to learn what specific errors are occurring and
being recorded.

To get the error message from the blue screen (a.k.a. the BSOD --
Blue Screen of Death), you'll need to turn off WinXP's automatic
reboot "feature:" Right-click My Computer > Properties > Advanced >
Startup and Recovery > Uncheck "Automatically restart." The next time
your PC crashes, you'll be left with a blue screen full of memory
addresses and other seeming gibberish. The top 2 or 3 lines of this
screen will contain information that can help solve your problem.
Carefully write down these lines and post the exact text back here.
Hopefully, one of us will be able to provide some insight.

Additionally, you should check your Event Logs to see if they can
shed any light on the matter, To do so, Right-click My Computer >
Manage > Event Viewer > System and Application. Record the specifics
of any red-flagged error messages and post the exact text back here.
Again, hopefully, one of us will be able to provide some insight.



--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
both at once. - RAH
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BSOD on wireless PC Ian B Wireless Networking 2 12-13-2005 04:05 AM
Aironet 1200 causing BSOD in XP clients! Bob Cisco 1 11-24-2005 03:04 AM
Foxfire BSOD in Win98SE Moshup Trail Firefox 2 03-12-2005 01:30 PM
BSOD part three Bob Computer Support 3 07-06-2003 12:28 PM
BSOD again.......... Bob Computer Support 2 07-04-2003 02:55 AM



Advertisments