Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > 64-bit browser crash

64-bit browser crash

Colin Barnhorst

I read somewhere today that Firefox Deluxe is going to cost $29.95 for the
first 30 days and $39.95 regular. Of course the Standard will remain free.

"Rob Wilkens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uBUGhzg%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was experiencing it, but made Firefox my default browser and haven't
>noticed any problems since...
>
> -Rob
>
> "Mike Gleason jr Couturier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uC$1YRg%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My computer hangs, must do reset when
>> visiting www.tomshardware.com and browsing
>> through pages !
>>
>> No problem with 32-bit version...
>> Anyone is experiencing this ?
>>
>> I have all the latest drivers, incl. AMD X2
>> processor driver..
>>
>> Thanks !!
>>
>> Here is my setup :
>>
>> Model : 1x AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
>> Speed : 2.01GHz
>> Model Number : 3800 (estimated)
>> Mainboard : Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-K8NF-9
>> Total Memory : 1GB DDR-SDRAM
>> Monitor/Panel : Optiquest V95
>> Adapter : RADEON X700 PRO Series
>> Hard Disk : NVIDIA STRIPE 149.06G
>> CD-ROM/DVD : YAMAHA CRW3200E (CD 40X Rd, 24X Wr)

Rob Wilkens

Not surprised, they recently became a corporation...

I can't imagine needing anything more than standard as a home user. It's
still, I believe, open source which means they're not the only people with
the source code to it and if the "firefox" name brand becomes tainted, all
someone has to do is rename the source code, pull over the old open source
developers onto the new project and continue.

I recently ran across a project I wanted to use that did that that went
through that. "mambo!", a php content managment system (for making portal
pages or blogs or whatever) recently went somewhat commercial --- so the
developers took the source they had and made Joomla! which is basically the
same thing except all new work goes into Joomla! and its non-commercial ..
It's a no win for the moneymakers but a sure win for the end users as long
as they don't mind the product name changing.

After all, Firefox used to be just called mozilla which used to be called
Netscape! which used to be called Mosaic.

Incidentally, Internet Explorer, like firefox and netscape, both came from
Mosaic --- and you'll find some notes to that extent in the help->about page
in internet explorer if you read it.

-Rob
p.s. no I'm not a communist..

news:up3ad%23g%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I read somewhere today that Firefox Deluxe is going to cost $29.95 for the
>first 30 days and $39.95 regular. Of course the Standard will remain free.

> "Rob Wilkens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uBUGhzg%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I was experiencing it, but made Firefox my default browser and haven't
>>noticed any problems since...
>>
>> -Rob
>>
>> "Mike Gleason jr Couturier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:uC$1YRg%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> My computer hangs, must do reset when
>>> visiting www.tomshardware.com and browsing
>>> through pages !
>>>
>>> No problem with 32-bit version...
>>> Anyone is experiencing this ?
>>>
>>> I have all the latest drivers, incl. AMD X2
>>> processor driver..
>>>
>>> Thanks !!
>>>
>>> Here is my setup :
>>>
>>> Model : 1x AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
>>> Speed : 2.01GHz
>>> Model Number : 3800 (estimated)
>>> Mainboard : Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-K8NF-9
>>> Total Memory : 1GB DDR-SDRAM
>>> Monitor/Panel : Optiquest V95
>>> Adapter : RADEON X700 PRO Series
>>> Hard Disk : NVIDIA STRIPE 149.06G
>>> CD-ROM/DVD : YAMAHA CRW3200E (CD 40X Rd, 24X Wr)

Rob Wilkens

OK, here's the story.. as I understand it after doing some research..

There are some -- questionable web sites -- that are taking firefox and
charging for the privilege of downloading it from them.

As long as you get it from the official source, www.mozilla.org, it _should_
always be free. The other download locations are questionable integrity
with respect to whether the software is virus/spyware infected, plus they
are profiting on software which costs them nothing and really should cost
you nothing. it's apparently legal since you're allowed to charge for the
cost of transferring the software (whether it's on disk or through the web),
but it _should_ always be free on mozilla.org.

-Rob

news:up3ad%23g%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I read somewhere today that Firefox Deluxe is going to cost $29.95 for the
>first 30 days and $39.95 regular. Of course the Standard will remain free.

> "Rob Wilkens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uBUGhzg%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I was experiencing it, but made Firefox my default browser and haven't
>>noticed any problems since...
>>
>> -Rob
>>
>> "Mike Gleason jr Couturier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:uC$1YRg%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> My computer hangs, must do reset when
>>> visiting www.tomshardware.com and browsing
>>> through pages !
>>>
>>> No problem with 32-bit version...
>>> Anyone is experiencing this ?
>>>
>>> I have all the latest drivers, incl. AMD X2
>>> processor driver..
>>>
>>> Thanks !!
>>>
>>> Here is my setup :
>>>
>>> Model : 1x AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
>>> Speed : 2.01GHz
>>> Model Number : 3800 (estimated)
>>> Mainboard : Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-K8NF-9
>>> Total Memory : 1GB DDR-SDRAM
>>> Monitor/Panel : Optiquest V95
>>> Adapter : RADEON X700 PRO Series
>>> Hard Disk : NVIDIA STRIPE 149.06G
>>> CD-ROM/DVD : YAMAHA CRW3200E (CD 40X Rd, 24X Wr)

Colin Barnhorst

Rob, I have to 'fess up. I fabricated the whole thing just get you going.

"Rob Wilkens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23hXHIhh%(E-Mail Removed)...
> OK, here's the story.. as I understand it after doing some research..
>
> There are some -- questionable web sites -- that are taking firefox and
> charging for the privilege of downloading it from them.
>
> As long as you get it from the official source, www.mozilla.org, it
> _should_ always be free. The other download locations are questionable
> integrity with respect to whether the software is virus/spyware infected,
> plus they are profiting on software which costs them nothing and really
> should cost you nothing. it's apparently legal since you're allowed to
> charge for the cost of transferring the software (whether it's on disk or
> through the web), but it _should_ always be free on mozilla.org.
>
> -Rob

> news:up3ad%23g%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I read somewhere today that Firefox Deluxe is going to cost $29.95 for the
>>first 30 days and $39.95 regular. Of course the Standard will remain
>>free.
>>
>> --
>> "Rob Wilkens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:uBUGhzg%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I was experiencing it, but made Firefox my default browser and haven't
>>>noticed any problems since...
>>>
>>> -Rob
>>>
>>> "Mike Gleason jr Couturier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:uC$1YRg%(E-Mail Removed)...

Rob Wilkens

Thanks -- it felt good.. ..

-Rob

news:eQNivoh%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rob, I have to 'fess up. I fabricated the whole thing just get you going.

> "Rob Wilkens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23hXHIhh%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> OK, here's the story.. as I understand it after doing some research..
>>
>> There are some -- questionable web sites -- that are taking firefox and
>> charging for the privilege of downloading it from them.
>>
>> As long as you get it from the official source, www.mozilla.org, it
>> _should_ always be free. The other download locations are questionable
>> integrity with respect to whether the software is virus/spyware infected,
>> plus they are profiting on software which costs them nothing and really
>> should cost you nothing. it's apparently legal since you're allowed to
>> charge for the cost of transferring the software (whether it's on disk or
>> through the web), but it _should_ always be free on mozilla.org.
>>
>> -Rob

>> news:up3ad%23g%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I read somewhere today that Firefox Deluxe is going to cost $29.95 for
>>>the first 30 days and $39.95 regular. Of course the Standard will remain
>>>free.
>>>
>>> --
>>> "Rob Wilkens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:uBUGhzg%(E-Mail Removed)...

Rob Wilkens

p.s. It's not nice to make fun of the crazy people .

i'm sure by now i said it thousands of times here but -- I have been
classified as suffering from a form of Schizophrenia that includes features
of Manic Depression too. I'm about as loopy as they come <g>. My diagnosis
is Schizoaffective Disorder, but my condition is so bad that I've been
BANNED from the MSN Group on same
(http://groups.msn.com/SchizoaffectiveDisorder). Why? Because I didn't
like how a relative of someone with the disorder was talking about the
person they knew with the disorder. yeah, i'm very easily trigerred as
Colin pointed out.

But yes, even crazy people run Windows XP x64 Edition -- possibly only
crazy people run it.

-Rob

news:OYGOuwm%(E-Mail Removed)...