Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > SO should I dual boot, since my system doesn't work?

SO should I dual boot, since my system doesn't work?

=?Utf-8?B?Q29uY3JldGVtYW4=?=

I figured x64 had been out for a while, ought to be stable. Last system I
bought I figured why not, now it seems every thing I try fails badly.

I have a fujitsu 15C scanner - no 64 bit drivers
Samsung color duplex printer - no duplex
PDF EFX print drivers, broke, buy some new ones or wait
Bluetooth adapter, no drivers
Windows fax, won't pull addresses from outlook

So at this point it seems my easiest option is to buy another hard drive and
dual boot to XP Pro when I want to get work done, or boot to x64 when I want
to use a solid 64 bit OS that doesn't work.

I might seem a little nasty, but I am kinda frustrated. I have some other
issues, but if I could at least get the scanner working I can quit thinking
of it as a paper wieght. I think the printer issue will be resolved soon
enough, and as for Microsoft Fax I am thinking about buying a "real
solution", or get it working somehow.

If anyone has a workaround for the scanpartner 15C I would be forever
grateful.

Colin Barnhorst

Unfortunately, the Fujitsu 64-bit driver is the responsibility of Fujitsu.
The OS is solid as a rock.

"Concreteman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I figured x64 had been out for a while, ought to be stable. Last system I
> bought I figured why not, now it seems every thing I try fails badly.
>
> I have a fujitsu 15C scanner - no 64 bit drivers
> Samsung color duplex printer - no duplex
> PDF EFX print drivers, broke, buy some new ones or wait
> Bluetooth adapter, no drivers
> Windows fax, won't pull addresses from outlook
>
> So at this point it seems my easiest option is to buy another hard drive
> and
> dual boot to XP Pro when I want to get work done, or boot to x64 when I
> want
> to use a solid 64 bit OS that doesn't work.
>
> I might seem a little nasty, but I am kinda frustrated. I have some other
> issues, but if I could at least get the scanner working I can quit
> thinking
> of it as a paper wieght. I think the printer issue will be resolved soon
> enough, and as for Microsoft Fax I am thinking about buying a "real
> solution", or get it working somehow.
>
> If anyone has a workaround for the scanpartner 15C I would be forever
> grateful.

Colin Barnhorst

Yes, I would dual boot.

"Concreteman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I figured x64 had been out for a while, ought to be stable. Last system I
> bought I figured why not, now it seems every thing I try fails badly.
>
> I have a fujitsu 15C scanner - no 64 bit drivers
> Samsung color duplex printer - no duplex
> PDF EFX print drivers, broke, buy some new ones or wait
> Bluetooth adapter, no drivers
> Windows fax, won't pull addresses from outlook
>
> So at this point it seems my easiest option is to buy another hard drive
> and
> dual boot to XP Pro when I want to get work done, or boot to x64 when I
> want
> to use a solid 64 bit OS that doesn't work.
>
> I might seem a little nasty, but I am kinda frustrated. I have some other
> issues, but if I could at least get the scanner working I can quit
> thinking
> of it as a paper wieght. I think the printer issue will be resolved soon
> enough, and as for Microsoft Fax I am thinking about buying a "real
> solution", or get it working somehow.
>
> If anyone has a workaround for the scanpartner 15C I would be forever
> grateful.

=?Utf-8?B?Q29uY3JldGVtYW4=?=

Thanks for your reply, I do understand hardware vendors are responsible for
their own drivers, I still belive Microsoft's X64 is not quite ready for
prime time. On the Microsoft site they are feverishly marketing X64 and list
the top 5 reasons why to deploy, they forget to mention the many reasons why
businesses can't afford it. I am suprised Microsoft hasn't created a
compatibility mode or some way to run 32 bit drivers while we wait for the
manufacturers to catch up.
Thanks again for your reply, I klnow I feel better, I was really just
loooking to vent - although I would love to find aswers.

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Yes, I would dual boot.

> "Concreteman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I figured x64 had been out for a while, ought to be stable. Last system I
> > bought I figured why not, now it seems every thing I try fails badly.
> >
> > I have a fujitsu 15C scanner - no 64 bit drivers
> > Samsung color duplex printer - no duplex
> > PDF EFX print drivers, broke, buy some new ones or wait
> > Bluetooth adapter, no drivers
> > Windows fax, won't pull addresses from outlook
> >
> > So at this point it seems my easiest option is to buy another hard drive
> > and
> > dual boot to XP Pro when I want to get work done, or boot to x64 when I
> > want
> > to use a solid 64 bit OS that doesn't work.
> >
> > I might seem a little nasty, but I am kinda frustrated. I have some other
> > issues, but if I could at least get the scanner working I can quit
> > thinking
> > of it as a paper wieght. I think the printer issue will be resolved soon
> > enough, and as for Microsoft Fax I am thinking about buying a "real
> > solution", or get it working somehow.
> >
> > If anyone has a workaround for the scanpartner 15C I would be forever
> > grateful.

Colin Barnhorst

32-bit drivers do not run by design. XP64 is more than ready for prime
time, but not as a consumer OS. It is simply not the latest and greatest
consumer product. It meets the demands of the professional market for a
64-bit client OS for workstations and high end desktops where the greater
headroom of the 64-bit processors is valuable and where memory constraints
were cramping several classes of professional software. I have not seen a
fervency to market this OS. It isn't even available in a boxed edition to
market.

"Concreteman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for your reply, I do understand hardware vendors are responsible
> for
> their own drivers, I still belive Microsoft's X64 is not quite ready for
> prime time. On the Microsoft site they are feverishly marketing X64 and
> list
> the top 5 reasons why to deploy, they forget to mention the many reasons
> why
> businesses can't afford it. I am suprised Microsoft hasn't created a
> compatibility mode or some way to run 32 bit drivers while we wait for the
> manufacturers to catch up.
> Thanks again for your reply, I klnow I feel better, I was really just
> loooking to vent - although I would love to find aswers.
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> Yes, I would dual boot.
>>
>> --
>> "Concreteman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I figured x64 had been out for a while, ought to be stable. Last system
>> > bought I figured why not, now it seems every thing I try fails badly.
>> >
>> > I have a fujitsu 15C scanner - no 64 bit drivers
>> > Samsung color duplex printer - no duplex
>> > PDF EFX print drivers, broke, buy some new ones or wait
>> > Bluetooth adapter, no drivers
>> > Windows fax, won't pull addresses from outlook
>> >
>> > So at this point it seems my easiest option is to buy another hard
>> > drive
>> > and
>> > dual boot to XP Pro when I want to get work done, or boot to x64 when I
>> > want
>> > to use a solid 64 bit OS that doesn't work.
>> >
>> > I might seem a little nasty, but I am kinda frustrated. I have some
>> > other
>> > issues, but if I could at least get the scanner working I can quit
>> > thinking
>> > of it as a paper wieght. I think the printer issue will be resolved
>> > soon
>> > enough, and as for Microsoft Fax I am thinking about buying a "real
>> > solution", or get it working somehow.
>> >
>> > If anyone has a workaround for the scanpartner 15C I would be forever
>> > grateful.

John Barnes

I agree with Colin, since Microsoft is NOT pushing this product in the
marketplace, it is a catch 22, where the installed base is too tiny for many
consumer oriented products (both hardware and software) to support it.
There is a webcast by Charlie Russel - MVP on whom this system is
appropriate for.

"Concreteman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for your reply, I do understand hardware vendors are responsible
> for
> their own drivers, I still belive Microsoft's X64 is not quite ready for
> prime time. On the Microsoft site they are feverishly marketing X64 and
> list
> the top 5 reasons why to deploy, they forget to mention the many reasons
> why
> businesses can't afford it. I am suprised Microsoft hasn't created a
> compatibility mode or some way to run 32 bit drivers while we wait for the
> manufacturers to catch up.
> Thanks again for your reply, I klnow I feel better, I was really just
> loooking to vent - although I would love to find aswers.
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> Yes, I would dual boot.
>>
>> --
>> "Concreteman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I figured x64 had been out for a while, ought to be stable. Last system
>> > bought I figured why not, now it seems every thing I try fails badly.
>> >
>> > I have a fujitsu 15C scanner - no 64 bit drivers
>> > Samsung color duplex printer - no duplex
>> > PDF EFX print drivers, broke, buy some new ones or wait
>> > Bluetooth adapter, no drivers
>> > Windows fax, won't pull addresses from outlook
>> >
>> > So at this point it seems my easiest option is to buy another hard
>> > drive
>> > and
>> > dual boot to XP Pro when I want to get work done, or boot to x64 when I
>> > want
>> > to use a solid 64 bit OS that doesn't work.
>> >
>> > I might seem a little nasty, but I am kinda frustrated. I have some
>> > other
>> > issues, but if I could at least get the scanner working I can quit
>> > thinking
>> > of it as a paper wieght. I think the printer issue will be resolved
>> > soon
>> > enough, and as for Microsoft Fax I am thinking about buying a "real
>> > solution", or get it working somehow.
>> >
>> > If anyone has a workaround for the scanpartner 15C I would be forever
>> > grateful.

Colin Nowell

Hi Colin, it's Colin... (ever felt you are talking to yourself lol!)

Ok, being serious, totally agree with all the points you have made bar one.

I suppose that in the main, I've been lucky as, with this machine it's come
down to just a webcam and a scanner that doesn't work through lack of 64bit
drivers. Everything else just seems to work "out of the box". Admittedly, I
had to fool it to get my Epson Photo Stylus Color 915 working (by installing
the included Epson 870 driver with which its backwards compatible) but the
long list of "stuff" hooked into this machine works. Even my Skype Cordless
DECT phone (USB & PSTN connections) worked which surprised me...

Ok then, what's the "bar one"? Well, I suppose it's me being facetious but
its the "boxed edition" bit I would split hairs on. Yes, I know, it's OEM
but if you meant "does it come in a nice large shrink wrapped box that
wastes a HUGE amount of space for the actual CD inside" (lol!) then I guess
it's no but it's not as if it comes in a paper sleeve along with the
(qualifying) hard drive you bought either. Mine was bought and came in a
puka dvd style case which was fully printed by MS with all the usual
holographic stuff and license sticker on the outside. I'd say that that's
"available to market" in a way....

Colin

news:%23FaEr2K%(E-Mail Removed)...
> 32-bit drivers do not run by design. XP64 is more than ready for prime
> time, but not as a consumer OS. It is simply not the latest and greatest
> consumer product. It meets the demands of the professional market for a
> 64-bit client OS for workstations and high end desktops where the greater
> headroom of the 64-bit processors is valuable and where memory constraints
> were cramping several classes of professional software. I have not seen a
> fervency to market this OS. It isn't even available in a boxed edition to
> market.

John Barnes

Unfortunately, the large shrink wrapped package wasn't big enough for me not
to misplace (lose) it

"Colin Nowell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uVaIMkO%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Colin, it's Colin... (ever felt you are talking to yourself lol!)
>
> Ok, being serious, totally agree with all the points you have made bar
> one.
>
> I suppose that in the main, I've been lucky as, with this machine it's
> come down to just a webcam and a scanner that doesn't work through lack of
> 64bit drivers. Everything else just seems to work "out of the box".
> Admittedly, I had to fool it to get my Epson Photo Stylus Color 915
> working (by installing the included Epson 870 driver with which its
> backwards compatible) but the long list of "stuff" hooked into this
> machine works. Even my Skype Cordless DECT phone (USB & PSTN connections)
> worked which surprised me...
>
> Ok then, what's the "bar one"? Well, I suppose it's me being facetious but
> its the "boxed edition" bit I would split hairs on. Yes, I know, it's OEM
> but if you meant "does it come in a nice large shrink wrapped box that
> wastes a HUGE amount of space for the actual CD inside" (lol!) then I
> guess it's no but it's not as if it comes in a paper sleeve along with the
> (qualifying) hard drive you bought either. Mine was bought and came in a
> puka dvd style case which was fully printed by MS with all the usual
> holographic stuff and license sticker on the outside. I'd say that that's
> "available to market" in a way....
>
> Colin

> news:%23FaEr2K%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> 32-bit drivers do not run by design. XP64 is more than ready for prime
>> time, but not as a consumer OS. It is simply not the latest and greatest
>> consumer product. It meets the demands of the professional market for a
>> 64-bit client OS for workstations and high end desktops where the greater
>> headroom of the 64-bit processors is valuable and where memory
>> constraints were cramping several classes of professional software. I
>> have not seen a fervency to market this OS. It isn't even available in a
>> boxed edition to market.

Colin Barnhorst

I was thinking of 'marketing' as advertising. I have not seen any and don't
expect to.

news:Ot7ejFP%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Unfortunately, the large shrink wrapped package wasn't big enough for me
> not to misplace (lose) it
>

> "Colin Nowell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uVaIMkO%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi Colin, it's Colin... (ever felt you are talking to yourself lol!)
>>
>> Ok, being serious, totally agree with all the points you have made bar
>> one.
>>
>> I suppose that in the main, I've been lucky as, with this machine it's
>> come down to just a webcam and a scanner that doesn't work through lack
>> of 64bit drivers. Everything else just seems to work "out of the box".
>> Admittedly, I had to fool it to get my Epson Photo Stylus Color 915
>> working (by installing the included Epson 870 driver with which its
>> backwards compatible) but the long list of "stuff" hooked into this
>> machine works. Even my Skype Cordless DECT phone (USB & PSTN connections)
>> worked which surprised me...
>>
>> Ok then, what's the "bar one"? Well, I suppose it's me being facetious
>> but its the "boxed edition" bit I would split hairs on. Yes, I know, it's
>> OEM but if you meant "does it come in a nice large shrink wrapped box
>> that wastes a HUGE amount of space for the actual CD inside" (lol!) then
>> I guess it's no but it's not as if it comes in a paper sleeve along with
>> the (qualifying) hard drive you bought either. Mine was bought and came
>> in a puka dvd style case which was fully printed by MS with all the usual
>> holographic stuff and license sticker on the outside. I'd say that that's
>> "available to market" in a way....
>>
>> Colin

>> news:%23FaEr2K%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> 32-bit drivers do not run by design. XP64 is more than ready for prime
>>> time, but not as a consumer OS. It is simply not the latest and
>>> greatest consumer product. It meets the demands of the professional
>>> market for a 64-bit client OS for workstations and high end desktops
>>> where the greater headroom of the 64-bit processors is valuable and
>>> where memory constraints were cramping several classes of professional
>>> software. I have not seen a fervency to market this OS. It isn't even
>>> available in a boxed edition to market.

Colin Nowell

Fair point.

news:OZvqRNP%(E-Mail Removed)...