Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Any x64 backup image software available yet?

Any x64 backup image software available yet?

=?Utf-8?B?TG9naWtvcw==?=

Hi,

The biggest outstanding issue I have left since my move to x64 is backups. I
used to back up to a NetDrive (TCP/IP), but that is currently not supported
for x64. I purchased an external hard drive connecting to my PC via firewire
and doing nighly backups to it using Dantz Retrospect. This is not my ideal
situation. I would like to make backup images of my hard drives like I used
to.

I know Acronis True Image (my favorite) does not support x64. Does anybody
know if Ghost 10.0 works? I don't trust Symntec sales giving me an honest
answer, especially in light of their plunging stock prices! I've seen a
shareware backup image program that claims supports x64, but I am not too
keen on shareware for something this important.

Can anybody help?

Thanks!!

Len Mattix

I have created an image and restored it for my x64 XP installation using
Ghost 2003. One would think it would continue to to so in later versions.

FWIW,
Len

"Logikos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> The biggest outstanding issue I have left since my move to x64 is backups.
> used to back up to a NetDrive (TCP/IP), but that is currently not
> supported
> for x64. I purchased an external hard drive connecting to my PC via
> firewire
> and doing nighly backups to it using Dantz Retrospect. This is not my
> ideal
> situation. I would like to make backup images of my hard drives like I
> used
> to.
>
> I know Acronis True Image (my favorite) does not support x64. Does anybody
> know if Ghost 10.0 works? I don't trust Symntec sales giving me an honest
> answer, especially in light of their plunging stock prices! I've seen a
> shareware backup image program that claims supports x64, but I am not too
> keen on shareware for something this important.
>
> Can anybody help?
>
> Thanks!!

Charlie Russel - MVP

None of the big names work (and I agree about Symantec). But WinImage is
reported to work in x64. http://www.winimage.com.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Logikos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The biggest outstanding issue I have left since my move to x64 is
> backups. I used to back up to a NetDrive (TCP/IP), but that is currently
> not supported for x64. I purchased an external hard drive connecting to
> my PC via firewire and doing nighly backups to it using Dantz Retrospect.
> This is not my ideal situation. I would like to make backup images of my
> hard drives like I used to.
>
> I know Acronis True Image (my favorite) does not support x64. Does anybody
> know if Ghost 10.0 works? I don't trust Symntec sales giving me an honest
> answer, especially in light of their plunging stock prices! I've seen a
> shareware backup image program that claims supports x64, but I am not too
> keen on shareware for something this important.
>
> Can anybody help?
>
> Thanks!!

Mark Gillespie

On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 02:19:03 -0000, Logikos
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The biggest outstanding issue I have left since my move to x64 is
> backups. I
> used to back up to a NetDrive (TCP/IP), but that is currently not
> supported
> for x64. I purchased an external hard drive connecting to my PC via
> firewire
> and doing nighly backups to it using Dantz Retrospect. This is not my
> ideal
> situation. I would like to make backup images of my hard drives like I
> used
> to.
>
> I know Acronis True Image (my favorite) does not support x64. Does
> anybody
> know if Ghost 10.0 works? I don't trust Symntec sales giving me an honest
> answer, especially in light of their plunging stock prices! I've seen a
> shareware backup image program that claims supports x64, but I am not too
> keen on shareware for something this important.
>
> Can anybody help?
>
> Thanks!!

Norton Ghost pre V9 works, as it does not run from within Windows, it
boots to DOS to do it's backup. As x64 partitions are the same as 32bit
partitions, everything will be fine. V9 and later Norton Ghost, is a
different and inferior product (Powerquest Drive Image), and runs in
windows, using a device driver, so is unlikely to work.

=?Utf-8?B?TG9naWtvcw==?=

Excellent! Thanks!

"Len Mattix" wrote:

> I have created an image and restored it for my x64 XP installation using
> Ghost 2003. One would think it would continue to to so in later versions.
>
> FWIW,
> Len
>
> "Logikos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > The biggest outstanding issue I have left since my move to x64 is backups.
> > used to back up to a NetDrive (TCP/IP), but that is currently not
> > supported
> > for x64. I purchased an external hard drive connecting to my PC via
> > firewire
> > and doing nighly backups to it using Dantz Retrospect. This is not my
> > ideal
> > situation. I would like to make backup images of my hard drives like I
> > used
> > to.
> >
> > I know Acronis True Image (my favorite) does not support x64. Does anybody
> > know if Ghost 10.0 works? I don't trust Symntec sales giving me an honest
> > answer, especially in light of their plunging stock prices! I've seen a
> > shareware backup image program that claims supports x64, but I am not too
> > keen on shareware for something this important.
> >
> > Can anybody help?
> >
> > Thanks!!

John Barnes

It doesn't in Ghost 9. You can install and backup your x64 from the x86
partition if available, but you cannot install and make backups from x64 and
you cannot make backups from the CD. 2003 can work from DOS but depends on
the number of drive letters in use

"Logikos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Excellent! Thanks!
>
> "Len Mattix" wrote:
>
>> I have created an image and restored it for my x64 XP installation using
>> Ghost 2003. One would think it would continue to to so in later
>> versions.
>>
>> FWIW,
>> Len
>>
>> "Logikos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > The biggest outstanding issue I have left since my move to x64 is
>> > backups.
>> > used to back up to a NetDrive (TCP/IP), but that is currently not
>> > supported
>> > for x64. I purchased an external hard drive connecting to my PC via
>> > firewire
>> > and doing nighly backups to it using Dantz Retrospect. This is not my
>> > ideal
>> > situation. I would like to make backup images of my hard drives like I
>> > used
>> > to.
>> >
>> > I know Acronis True Image (my favorite) does not support x64. Does
>> > anybody
>> > know if Ghost 10.0 works? I don't trust Symntec sales giving me an
>> > honest
>> > answer, especially in light of their plunging stock prices! I've seen a
>> > shareware backup image program that claims supports x64, but I am not
>> > too
>> > keen on shareware for something this important.
>> >
>> > Can anybody help?
>> >
>> > Thanks!!

zekolas

Logikos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The biggest outstanding issue I have left since my move to x64 is backups. I
> used to back up to a NetDrive (TCP/IP), but that is currently not supported
> for x64. I purchased an external hard drive connecting to my PC via firewire
> and doing nighly backups to it using Dantz Retrospect. This is not my ideal
> situation. I would like to make backup images of my hard drives like I used
> to.
>
> I know Acronis True Image (my favorite) does not support x64. Does anybody
> know if Ghost 10.0 works? I don't trust Symntec sales giving me an honest
> answer, especially in light of their plunging stock prices! I've seen a
> shareware backup image program that claims supports x64, but I am not too
> keen on shareware for something this important.
>
> Can anybody help?
>
> Thanks!!

I use a knoppix cd and partimage to make hard drive images. I have used
it 100 times in a coprate environment and never had any trouble. It is
not the most user friendly program since it runs under a linux boot cd,
however it gets the job done and it is 100% free.

It supports NTSF, FAT, and a lot of other non-windows file systems. It
does not matter what OS is installed on that filesystem.