Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Network - Access denied

Network - Access denied

Max

If I click on the workgroup computer under Entire Network - MS Windows
Network, the message comes up - \\computer is not accessable. You might have
no permission..... Access denied.

On the WinXP Pro machine everything is fine.
On the WinXP 64bit machine I get the mentioned error.

I tried already all sort of things: switched off fire walls, changed the
computer name (there was a space in-between) entered fixed IP numbers, now I
am back on auto, etc.

The funny thing is if - I share a directory on the XP machine I can see and
access it on the XP64 machine, only if I click on the workgroup icon I get
the error message.

Any help would be appreciated
Max

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Did you restart both machines after networking? Maybe that will help.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Max" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If I click on the workgroup computer under Entire Network - MS Windows
> Network, the message comes up - \\computer is not accessable. You might
> have no permission..... Access denied.
>
> On the WinXP Pro machine everything is fine.
> On the WinXP 64bit machine I get the mentioned error.
>
> I tried already all sort of things: switched off fire walls, changed the
> computer name (there was a space in-between) entered fixed IP numbers, now
> I am back on auto, etc.
>
> The funny thing is if - I share a directory on the XP machine I can see
> and access it on the XP64 machine, only if I click on the workgroup icon I
> get the error message.
>
> Any help would be appreciated
> Max

Max

Hi Andre,
I did restart several times. The problem is hunting me already over several
days.

It was actually working before. Only when I installed a new harddisk in my
notebook with WinXP Pro the desktop with WinXP 64bit gives me the "Access
denied" message.

I have access from the notebook to the desktop but not vice versa.

In my first post I was mislead, I have no access at all from the desktop to
the notebook.
For testing purposes I created on both machines a shared directory with the
name 'temp'. When I saw the directory on the desktop I thought it was the
one on the notebook but it was actually the own local directory.

Any more ideas?
Max

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Did you restart both machines after networking? Maybe that will help.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "Max" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If I click on the workgroup computer under Entire Network - MS Windows
>> Network, the message comes up - \\computer is not accessable. You might
>> have no permission..... Access denied.
>>
>> On the WinXP Pro machine everything is fine.
>> On the WinXP 64bit machine I get the mentioned error.
>>
>> I tried already all sort of things: switched off fire walls, changed the
>> computer name (there was a space in-between) entered fixed IP numbers,
>> now I am back on auto, etc.
>>
>> The funny thing is if - I share a directory on the XP machine I can see
>> and access it on the XP64 machine, only if I click on the workgroup icon
>> I get the error message.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated
>> Max

J. Eric Durbin

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 21:14:02 +0700, "Max" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi Andre,
>I did restart several times. The problem is hunting me already over several
>days.
>
>It was actually working before. Only when I installed a new harddisk in my
>notebook with WinXP Pro the desktop with WinXP 64bit gives me the "Access
>denied" message.
>
>I have access from the notebook to the desktop but not vice versa.
>
>In my first post I was mislead, I have no access at all from the desktop to
>the notebook.
>For testing purposes I created on both machines a shared directory with the
>name 'temp'. When I saw the directory on the desktop I thought it was the
>one on the notebook but it was actually the own local directory.
>
>Any more ideas?

I don't know if this will apply precisely to your setup, but when I
was getting similar errors on a system with 1 XP PC, 1 XP x64 PC, and
1 XP laptop connected to a cable modem via a Linksys router, the only
reliable method to get all the machines talking to each other was to
power down all of them and power down the router and cable modem.

Then power up the modem, allow it time to sync up, then power up the
router and allow it time to sync. Finally, power up each machine one
by one, checking the IP assigned by the router using ipconfig /all
from a CMD window.

Powering up the PCs in the same order each time is also a good idea so
the router will assign the same IP each time. It appears the PCs
"remember" the IP they had been assigned last time which sometimes
leads to conflicts causing "DNSACKS denied" by the router. If this is
happening, you can see the errors in the XP Event Viewer.

Hope some of that points you in the right direction. What I hate about
networking is that sometimes it doesn't work and you fiddle around,
and fiddle around, then suddenly it starts working and you wonder what
the heck you did to fix it so you can duplicate it next time.

Ted

Try run the Network Setup Wizard.
Also try the Repair option in the network connection.
Be sure you have set the option Print And File Sharing.
Let it sit for few minutes before trying again.

"Max" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If I click on the workgroup computer under Entire Network - MS Windows
> Network, the message comes up - \\computer is not accessable. You might
> have no permission..... Access denied.
>
> On the WinXP Pro machine everything is fine.
> On the WinXP 64bit machine I get the mentioned error.
>
> I tried already all sort of things: switched off fire walls, changed the
> computer name (there was a space in-between) entered fixed IP numbers, now
> I am back on auto, etc.
>
> The funny thing is if - I share a directory on the XP machine I can see
> and access it on the XP64 machine, only if I click on the workgroup icon I
> get the error message.
>
> Any help would be appreciated
> Max

Ted

>and fiddle around, then suddenly it starts working and you wonder what
>the heck you did to fix it so you can duplicate it next time.

Just like hard headed mule

"J. Eric Durbin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 21:14:02 +0700, "Max" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hi Andre,
>>I did restart several times. The problem is hunting me already over
>>several
>>days.
>>
>>It was actually working before. Only when I installed a new harddisk in my
>>notebook with WinXP Pro the desktop with WinXP 64bit gives me the "Access
>>denied" message.
>>
>>I have access from the notebook to the desktop but not vice versa.
>>
>>In my first post I was mislead, I have no access at all from the desktop
>>the notebook.
>>For testing purposes I created on both machines a shared directory with
>>the
>>name 'temp'. When I saw the directory on the desktop I thought it was the
>>one on the notebook but it was actually the own local directory.
>>
>>Any more ideas?

> I don't know if this will apply precisely to your setup, but when I
> was getting similar errors on a system with 1 XP PC, 1 XP x64 PC, and
> 1 XP laptop connected to a cable modem via a Linksys router, the only
> reliable method to get all the machines talking to each other was to
> power down all of them and power down the router and cable modem.
>
> Then power up the modem, allow it time to sync up, then power up the
> router and allow it time to sync. Finally, power up each machine one
> by one, checking the IP assigned by the router using ipconfig /all
> from a CMD window.
>
> Powering up the PCs in the same order each time is also a good idea so
> the router will assign the same IP each time. It appears the PCs
> "remember" the IP they had been assigned last time which sometimes
> leads to conflicts causing "DNSACKS denied" by the router. If this is
> happening, you can see the errors in the XP Event Viewer.
>
> Hope some of that points you in the right direction. What I hate about
> networking is that sometimes it doesn't work and you fiddle around,
> and fiddle around, then suddenly it starts working and you wonder what
> the heck you did to fix it so you can duplicate it next time.

Max

Hi Eric,
I managed to get the network running and it happened exactly as you said.

I tried all sorts of settings, created new user, run repeatedly the setup
wizard, rebooted and rebooted, switched on and off firewalls, checked many
settings in the administrative tools - local Security settings, etc. and
suddenly the "Access denied" was gone and I could access both computers.
But I do not know what exactly was the problem.

Thanks for all of you
Max

"J. Eric Durbin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message > On
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 21:14:02 +0700, "Max" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>Hi Andre,
>>I did restart several times. The problem is hunting me already over
>>several
>>days.
>>
>>It was actually working before. Only when I installed a new harddisk in my
>>notebook with WinXP Pro the desktop with WinXP 64bit gives me the "Access
>>denied" message.
>>
>>I have access from the notebook to the desktop but not vice versa.
>>
>>In my first post I was mislead, I have no access at all from the desktop
>>the notebook.
>>For testing purposes I created on both machines a shared directory with
>>the
>>name 'temp'. When I saw the directory on the desktop I thought it was the
>>one on the notebook but it was actually the own local directory.
>>
>>Any more ideas?

> I don't know if this will apply precisely to your setup, but when I
> was getting similar errors on a system with 1 XP PC, 1 XP x64 PC, and
> 1 XP laptop connected to a cable modem via a Linksys router, the only
> reliable method to get all the machines talking to each other was to
> power down all of them and power down the router and cable modem.
>
> Then power up the modem, allow it time to sync up, then power up the
> router and allow it time to sync. Finally, power up each machine one
> by one, checking the IP assigned by the router using ipconfig /all
> from a CMD window.
>
> Powering up the PCs in the same order each time is also a good idea so
> the router will assign the same IP each time. It appears the PCs
> "remember" the IP they had been assigned last time which sometimes
> leads to conflicts causing "DNSACKS denied" by the router. If this is
> happening, you can see the errors in the XP Event Viewer.
>
> Hope some of that points you in the right direction. What I hate about
> networking is that sometimes it doesn't work and you fiddle around,
> and fiddle around, then suddenly it starts working and you wonder what
> the heck you did to fix it so you can duplicate it next time.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Ghost in the machine. :-O