Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > RC102 Vaio desktop- How to install Windows XP 64 bit edition

RC102 Vaio desktop- How to install Windows XP 64 bit edition

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Good tips and suggestions Tony.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I didn't see Intel listing any SATA/RAID Product by that name on their
>site - and Sony's site is hard to navigate without a Sony system - perhaps
>the quickest and most productive approach for you would be to contact Sony
>support and simply ask them for a 64bit driver for your specific product.
>Lots of products - even from the big boys, doesn't have any support, and
>your best option then is to buy a RAID Controller Card that is known to be
>supported, driver-in-hand, the installation procedure is relatively
>straightforward, just be carefull and read all the information on the
>screen before accepting what is offered.
>

> Tony. . .
>

> "Novice user" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> Please dont misunderstand me. I wanted 2 co-existing operating systems
>> which
>> I can boot into depending on what I wanted to do, ie I want to keep
>> Windows
>> XP home edition AS WELL AS INSTALLING WINDOWS XP 64 Bit O/S on another
>> heard
>> drive.
>>
>> Please help, I would be grateful isf someone can give me precise answers
>> solve my problem, I have read so many articles, I am confused...
>>

>> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
>>
>>> Actually, it should be "Yes Madam!!"
>>>
>>> After checking out that link from Barb, I have say, that does not look
>>> like
>>> an appropriate system for Windows XP Professional x64. Windows XP Home
>>> Edition or Media Center Edition 2005 would be more suitable. Windows XP
>>> Professional is a Technical workstation operating system, its not
>>> surprising
>>> if most of the digital media based work you might want to do with
>>> Windows
>>> might not be advantageous on this version of the Windows XP operating
>>> system
>>> because of certain things such as device driver and application
>>> compatibility. You say you are novice and this is one of the type of
>>> users
>>> that was pointed out in the web cast by Charlie Russel that Windows XP
>>> Professional x64 is not suited for.
>>> You might want to check that out here:
>>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2.../25/59560.aspx
>>>
>>> Please don't think I'm saying you are not smart enough, I am just want
>>> you
>>> to make sure its the right decision to move to XP Professional x64.
>>>
>>> I wrote a short article about Windows x64 and if you really should
>>> bother
>>> with it:
>>> http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta/Blog/cns!1ppieQf0aF6k7J0XYrJfhfMQ!1420.entry
>>>
>>> Charlie also has another nice article about installing your Storage
>>> drivers
>>> in Windows XP Professional x64 which can only be done during the text
>>> based
>>> portion of setup, worth reading:
>>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2.../11/52162.aspx
>>> --
>>> Andre
>>>
>>> "Novice user" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Tony Sperling

It's a coooold night here - that is warming!

Tony. . .

news:ONF1$(E-Mail Removed)...

Hehehe, glad I could be of assistance.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> It's a coooold night here - that is warming!
>

> Tony. . .

> news:ONF1$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Good tips and suggestions Tony.
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I didn't see Intel listing any SATA/RAID Product by that name on their
>>>site - and Sony's site is hard to navigate without a Sony system -
>>>perhaps the quickest and most productive approach for you would be to
>>>contact Sony support and simply ask them for a 64bit driver for your
>>>specific product. Lots of products - even from the big boys, doesn't have
>>>any support, and your best option then is to buy a RAID Controller Card
>>>that is known to be supported, driver-in-hand, the installation procedure
>>>is relatively straightforward, just be carefull and read all the
>>>information on the screen before accepting what is offered.
>>>

>>> Tony. . .
>>>

>>> "Novice user" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

=?Utf-8?B?Tm92aWNlIHVzZXI=?=

Thanks for all the support from the helpers here at the forum.

However I have almost given up on the idea, I have wasted money in
purchasing the windows XP 64 bit OEM but cannit use it.

I have probelms also because I have no floppy drive where I can boot to!

I guess I need someone to explain step by step and also to supply me the
relevant download I need! I know its allot to ask, but I am asking for
anyones help....

Many Thanks again everyone who has responded.

"Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:

> Hehehe, glad I could be of assistance.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > It's a coooold night here - that is warming!
> >

> > Tony. . .
> >

> > "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:ONF1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Good tips and suggestions Tony.
> >> --
> >> Andre
> >>
> >> "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Colin Barnhorst

It should easy enough to install a floppy drive. They are not as useless as
some claim.

"Novice user" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for all the support from the helpers here at the forum.
>
> However I have almost given up on the idea, I have wasted money in
> purchasing the windows XP 64 bit OEM but cannit use it.
>
> I have probelms also because I have no floppy drive where I can boot to!
>
> I guess I need someone to explain step by step and also to supply me the
> relevant download I need! I know its allot to ask, but I am asking for
> anyones help....
>
> Many Thanks again everyone who has responded.
>
> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
>
>> Hehehe, glad I could be of assistance.
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > It's a coooold night here - that is warming!
>> >

>> > Tony. . .
>> >

>> > "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:ONF1$(E-Mail Removed)...

Tony Sperling

If the machine in question - being a kind of 'dedicated Media' type, as I
understood - cannot easily support the inclusion of a floppy drive, others
have reported that external USB Floppy drives can be made to work if the
BIOS supports it.

As for the step-by-step, it would have to be superficial, unless someone
with the same machine can step in. Most have already been said here, I
think.

As for the Link, it would be dependent on what RAID Controler you get, an
Adaptec card would be easy to lay hands on, and they are generally well
supported I believe. Pay them a visit:
http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/sup...ge=driverindex

this page names their SATA/RAID Controlers - the only one with no 64bit
support is the '1210SA'.

Get yourself one of the others and download that driver, if it isn't
included in the package.

Then,
1. Boot your current XP Home
2. Create a Primary Partition for XP x64
3. Re-Boot with the XP x64 CD
4. When installation starts - at the bottom of the screen, you'll
see a message to press 'F6', do that!
5. Later on, the installation will ask you to insert the floppy, and
most times it will find what it is looking for, some times
you may have to point it to the actual driver name - read the documentation
that came with the card.
6. Now, the Primary Partition you created should be visible and you
can direct the installation to use that Partition.
If all that stuff about partitions is already enough, you can
skip those steps and let the installation do it for you,
some experts are of the opinion that it is 'over the top', many happy
amateurs, like my self, feel it is safer and decidedly
'nicer' to have it that way. (With the Primary Partition).
7. The Installation finaly re-Boots the machine and if all went
well, you'll be more or less finished!
8. Get yourself a subscription to a good computer magazine. You
need to feed your mind with some vocabulary!

Superficial, as I said - and most likely I forgot something important - but
we will be warned if I did. Good luck!