Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > I want my real player

I want my real player

Rob Wilkens

To those complaining about Windows Media Player being the only one required
player..

Maybe some day but...

For example, if I go to cyber.playboy.com the video download formats are
either QuickTime or Real Player. There's no option for windows media
player. Actually, I think some of their services stream some video content
using Macromedia Flash, but nope, that's not supported in x64 either (well,
unless you use a 32-bit browser).

-Rob

Rob Wilkens

Err...

Pardon my stupidity, but isn't that what microsoft does by including the
player files in the O.S. so it slows down your boot time by THAT MUCH MORE
every time you boot the computer.

-Rob

"Mark Gillespie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsp.s06bu1kpj2q9yy@xpdesktop64...
> On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 14:37:21 -0000, Dennis Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm another person who considers Real Player to be a drag on a machine.
>> Many
>> times I've found it running in the background on machines that were
>> mysteriously crashing. Disabling it usually fixes the problem. I don't
>> like
>> how it assumes you want it running all the time just because you use it
>> now
>> and again. Nothing wrong with it when you need it, but I want it to be
>> off
>> when I'm done...

> There seems to be a trend that many companies now play with. You
> application becomes large and bloated, so the fix, make a startup
> "speed-up" launcher, that loads all the DLL's into memory, so when your
> user runs the program, they are amazed by how fast it starts. Little do
> they know, it's been sat there all this time, using 50MB of their memory,
> just in-case they want to run Acrobat Reader/Real Player/Microsoft
> Office/One of the other culprits.

Rob Wilkens

the only problem I sometimes have with quicktime is it complains files
aren't there when I run it by hand. Poking around in the apple support
forums, It turns out microsoft's wonderful 'recent documents' list is
including documents from CDs, floppies, or in my case it was a camera memory
card reader which didn't have media inserted. No reason the software should
have been poking around in those files, but since they were in recent
documents -- eh, it tried. And failed, repeatedly over and over again.

-Rob
"Patrick" <juspatrick58_hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:OVTsi6E%(E-Mail Removed)...
> You can disable it's ability to automatically check for updates
> as well as stop it from starting with windows & remove the stupid
> icon from the system tray.
> And I couldn't agree more - it is a pain in the ass - but then again,
> "free" crap is usually just that: crap.
>

> "Dennis Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uBwdg0E%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Quick Time is another one that gives me fits. I have a dial up at home,

> and
>> I randomly get nags from QT about upgrading or connecting to a server or
>> whatever, when I'm not on line. Sometimes I'll get half a dozen pop ups
>> before it gives up. I appreciate the occasional nag, but I don't need it
>> every 10 seconds...
>>

>> > There seems to be a trend that many companies now play with. You
>> > application becomes large and bloated, so the fix, make a startup
>> > "speed-up" launcher, that loads all the DLL's into memory, so when your
>> > user runs the program, they are amazed by how fast it starts. Little
>> > do
>> > they know, it's been sat there all this time, using 50MB of their

> memory,
>> > just in-case they want to run Acrobat Reader/Real Player/Microsoft
>> > Office/One of the other culprits.

Patrick

I say get rid of them both!
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm
and
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm

"Rob Wilkens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eMPMSLF%(E-Mail Removed)...
> the only problem I sometimes have with quicktime is it complains files
> aren't there when I run it by hand. Poking around in the apple support
> forums, It turns out microsoft's wonderful 'recent documents' list is
> including documents from CDs, floppies, or in my case it was a camera

memory
> card reader which didn't have media inserted. No reason the software

should
> have been poking around in those files, but since they were in recent
> documents -- eh, it tried. And failed, repeatedly over and over again.
>
> -Rob
> "Patrick" <juspatrick58_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:OVTsi6E%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > You can disable it's ability to automatically check for updates
> > as well as stop it from starting with windows & remove the stupid
> > icon from the system tray.
> > And I couldn't agree more - it is a pain in the ass - but then again,
> > "free" crap is usually just that: crap.
> >

> > "Dennis Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:uBwdg0E%(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Quick Time is another one that gives me fits. I have a dial up at home,

> > and
> >> I randomly get nags from QT about upgrading or connecting to a server

or
> >> whatever, when I'm not on line. Sometimes I'll get half a dozen pop ups
> >> before it gives up. I appreciate the occasional nag, but I don't need

it
> >> every 10 seconds...

your

> > memory,

Colin Barnhorst

Which is why the 32-bit browser is provided.

"Rob Wilkens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uZsCiJF%(E-Mail Removed)...
> To those complaining about Windows Media Player being the only one
> required player..
>
> Maybe some day but...
>
> For example, if I go to cyber.playboy.com the video download formats are
> either QuickTime or Real Player. There's no option for windows media
> player. Actually, I think some of their services stream some video
> content using Macromedia Flash, but nope, that's not supported in x64
> either (well, unless you use a 32-bit browser).
>

> -Rob

Rob Wilkens

Oh, to play real player and quicktime content, righhhhhhhhht.

Wait, that stuff, I think, works in 64-bit so still not sure what we're
talking about.

-Rob

news:unRtwdF%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Which is why the 32-bit browser is provided.

> "Rob Wilkens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uZsCiJF%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> To those complaining about Windows Media Player being the only one
>> required player..
>>
>> Maybe some day but...
>>
>> For example, if I go to cyber.playboy.com the video download formats are
>> either QuickTime or Real Player. There's no option for windows media
>> player. Actually, I think some of their services stream some video
>> content using Macromedia Flash, but nope, that's not supported in x64
>> either (well, unless you use a 32-bit browser).
>>

>> -Rob

Wm D. Christensen

Do not download an .exe file! Go to http://www.real.com/ in the middle
right, click on Free Download.
Towards the right top click on START REALPLAYER DOWNLOAD.
A download manager should start and download the latest version.
It will then install and later ask you to sign in. I used this method last
night to upgrade to the latest version 1465.

Bill
"Rob Wilkens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OkMI9FF%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I sign in to my real.com account (since I used to be a paying member and
>have access to the Gold version)...
>
> Then click Download real player 10 (it's 10.5 actually)...
>
> I see no mention of a web install unless it was added in the last 36
> hours.
>
> -Rob
>

> "Wm D. Christensen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You don't download you do a "web install" just like the instructions on
>> the page say. This has worked for me for a long time.
>>
>> Bill
>> "Rob Wilkens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I just download RealPlayer10-5GOLD.exe and lo, "RealPlayer Cannot be
>>>installed on Windows XP 64-bit".
>>>
>>> I'll try real alternative (is that helix player??) but I won't be happy
>>> about it...
>>>
>>> -rob
>>> harrrrrumph
>>>
>>> "David Scheidt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Wm D. Christensen

Yeah. I just watch Monica's first video. Monica's hot but I think I voted
for Megan.

Bill
"Rob Wilkens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uZsCiJF%(E-Mail Removed)...
> To those complaining about Windows Media Player being the only one
> required player..
>
> Maybe some day but...
>
> For example, if I go to cyber.playboy.com the video download formats are
> either QuickTime or Real Player. There's no option for windows media
> player. Actually, I think some of their services stream some video
> content using Macromedia Flash, but nope, that's not supported in x64
> either (well, unless you use a 32-bit browser).
>

> -Rob

Colin Nowell

You need to "come off the fence" there Mark and tell us what you _really_
think! LOL!

"Mark Gillespie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsp.s05c3de1j2q9yy@xpdesktop64...
> On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 20:31:36 -0000, Rob Wilkens <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> No, I'm glad that that bloat infested pile of dung, that is RealPlayer
> does not work on x64, good riddance....

=?Utf-8?B?d3lvamFrZQ==?=

No actually it doesn't. Matter of fact will tell you that. Real Alternative
works for downloaded files but not as a streaming player.