Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Downloading from IE

Downloading from IE

=?Utf-8?B?UnVmb3VzMDM=?=

After installing XP 64 and XP on a new computer, I am unable to " download
and save as" .wmv files from the internet. Instead, the files
automatically download and play in Windows Media Player, no where are they
downloaded on the HD that I have been able to find.
Obviously I am missing something, but I have compared everything I can think
of with my older PC and have been unable to find the difference. It has XP
SP2 installed.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

If you are using Internet Explorer 64-Bit, avoid doing so, use the 32-Bit
Internet Explorer instead. Also you said, you unable to " download and save
as", are you referring to the dialogue that pops up when you click on a link
to save a file? I don't know of it giving such an option, I know you get
options for images but not audio or video files. Its possible that you are
streaming the file instead of downloading it, I would recommend right
clicking on the download link then choose "Save Target As..." navigate to
the location where you want the file to save then click Save.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Rufous03" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> After installing XP 64 and XP on a new computer, I am unable to " download
> and save as" .wmv files from the internet. Instead, the files
> automatically download and play in Windows Media Player, no where are they
> downloaded on the HD that I have been able to find.
> Obviously I am missing something, but I have compared everything I can
> think
> of with my older PC and have been unable to find the difference. It has
> XP
> SP2 installed.

=?Utf-8?B?UnVmb3VzMDM=?=

On the older system with XP SP2 I was given a window asking if I wanted to
run the file or " save it as" . On the new install, no choice is given and
the file just runs. According to the web site, I should have the choice of
watching the .wmv directly, or downloading.

"Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:

> If you are using Internet Explorer 64-Bit, avoid doing so, use the 32-Bit
> Internet Explorer instead. Also you said, you unable to " download and save
> as", are you referring to the dialogue that pops up when you click on a link
> to save a file? I don't know of it giving such an option, I know you get
> options for images but not audio or video files. Its possible that you are
> streaming the file instead of downloading it, I would recommend right
> clicking on the download link then choose "Save Target As..." navigate to
> the location where you want the file to save then click Save.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "Rufous03" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > After installing XP 64 and XP on a new computer, I am unable to " download
> > and save as" .wmv files from the internet. Instead, the files
> > automatically download and play in Windows Media Player, no where are they
> > downloaded on the HD that I have been able to find.
> > Obviously I am missing something, but I have compared everything I can
> > think
> > of with my older PC and have been unable to find the difference. It has
> > XP
> > SP2 installed.

=?Utf-8?B?UnVmb3VzMDM=?=

Right click does solve the problem, but still wondering why my older system
does it without the click?

"Rufous03" wrote:

> On the older system with XP SP2 I was given a window asking if I wanted to
> run the file or " save it as" . On the new install, no choice is given and
> the file just runs. According to the web site, I should have the choice of
> watching the .wmv directly, or downloading.
>
> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
>
> > If you are using Internet Explorer 64-Bit, avoid doing so, use the 32-Bit
> > Internet Explorer instead. Also you said, you unable to " download and save
> > as", are you referring to the dialogue that pops up when you click on a link
> > to save a file? I don't know of it giving such an option, I know you get
> > options for images but not audio or video files. Its possible that you are
> > streaming the file instead of downloading it, I would recommend right
> > clicking on the download link then choose "Save Target As..." navigate to
> > the location where you want the file to save then click Save.
> > --
> > Andre
> >
> > "Rufous03" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > After installing XP 64 and XP on a new computer, I am unable to " download
> > > and save as" .wmv files from the internet. Instead, the files
> > > automatically download and play in Windows Media Player, no where are they
> > > downloaded on the HD that I have been able to find.
> > > Obviously I am missing something, but I have compared everything I can
> > > think
> > > of with my older PC and have been unable to find the difference. It has
> > > XP
> > > SP2 installed.

Colin Barnhorst

Agreed. That is normal behavior.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you are using Internet Explorer 64-Bit, avoid doing so, use the 32-Bit
> Internet Explorer instead. Also you said, you unable to " download and
> save as", are you referring to the dialogue that pops up when you click on
> a link to save a file? I don't know of it giving such an option, I know
> you get options for images but not audio or video files. Its possible that
> you are streaming the file instead of downloading it, I would recommend
> right clicking on the download link then choose "Save Target As..."
> navigate to the location where you want the file to save then click Save.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "Rufous03" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> After installing XP 64 and XP on a new computer, I am unable to "
>> download
>> and save as" .wmv files from the internet. Instead, the files
>> automatically download and play in Windows Media Player, no where are
>> they
>> downloaded on the HD that I have been able to find.
>> Obviously I am missing something, but I have compared everything I can
>> think
>> of with my older PC and have been unable to find the difference. It has
>> XP
>> SP2 installed.

Colin Barnhorst

I get the same behavior with wmv files on my x86 machine.