Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > A+ after MCP or MCSE?

Reply
Thread Tools

A+ after MCP or MCSE?

 
 
Vigo Breadcrumbs
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-12-2004
Have any of you opted to get an A+ cert after an MCP or MCSE? (In this
case, "you" refers to those who built up a nontrivial number of years of
work experience before the MCP or MCSE, not braindumpers or paperpeople.)
If so, did you find it an easy exercise? If you've devoted a measurable
fraction of your life to assembling systems and installting and configuring
operating systems, did you find extra study really necessary?

While I write as one possessed of no contemporary certifications, my early
results on the Transcender practice tests haven't been the soul-destroying
adventures in failure I expected them to be. This leads me to the perhaps
falsely optimistic hope that my brain hasn't totally turned to rancid
cheese during my period of joblessness.

A local bank is looking for an "IS technician," and the position requires
an A+ cert, and they'll accept no combination of Microsoft certs in
substitution. While I'll no doubt fail to qualify for any number of other
reasons, if the A+ is easy enough, I'll take the tests so I can at least
apply and let good intentions and shiny shoes do the rest.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Consultant
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-12-2004
don't waste your time


"Vigo Breadcrumbs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:zpzec.14796$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Have any of you opted to get an A+ cert after an MCP or MCSE? (In this
> case, "you" refers to those who built up a nontrivial number of years of
> work experience before the MCP or MCSE, not braindumpers or paperpeople.)
> If so, did you find it an easy exercise? If you've devoted a measurable
> fraction of your life to assembling systems and installting and

configuring
> operating systems, did you find extra study really necessary?
>
> While I write as one possessed of no contemporary certifications, my early
> results on the Transcender practice tests haven't been the soul-destroying
> adventures in failure I expected them to be. This leads me to the perhaps
> falsely optimistic hope that my brain hasn't totally turned to rancid
> cheese during my period of joblessness.
>
> A local bank is looking for an "IS technician," and the position requires
> an A+ cert, and they'll accept no combination of Microsoft certs in
> substitution. While I'll no doubt fail to qualify for any number of other
> reasons, if the A+ is easy enough, I'll take the tests so I can at least
> apply and let good intentions and shiny shoes do the rest.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-12-2004
Vigo Breadcrumbs wrote:
> Have any of you opted to get an A+ cert after an MCP or MCSE?


I would have gotten it, except that I could only afford the books, not the
actual exam. From the practise tests I've taken (from the book and
elsewhere) I'm pretty sure I could pass the exam with my eyes closed.

I'm still smarting from that one-year Brainbench subscription I bought a
couple of years ago. SWAMBO (notice the "A", googling DW) still brings it
up when she's angry with me, which is most of the time.

--
Fris "I'm going to get in trouble for this post" beeŽ

Certaholics
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/certaholics

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jtyc
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-12-2004
> If so, did you find it an easy exercise? If you've devoted a measurable
> fraction of your life to assembling systems and installting and

configuring
> operating systems, did you find extra study really necessary?


When I took the A+ it had a bunch of stuff on it that I would not have known
had I not studied for it. Printer questions, Apple related and FRU
questions. For your sake I hope they have updated the test somewhat.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Vigo Breadcrumbs
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-12-2004
"Jtyc" <jtyc_mcngp@spamblockerbitch!@yahoo.com> wrote in
news:#(E-Mail Removed):

> When I took the A+ it had a bunch of stuff on it that I would not have
> known had I not studied for it. Printer questions, Apple related and
> FRU questions. For your sake I hope they have updated the test
> somewhat.


In looking at the revised 2003 objectives, there was nothing about either.
The mere mention of FRUs brings back nauseating memories of the PS/2
systems I once had to support.

"Apple" is a kind of computer, right?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Neil
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-12-2004
Vigo Breadcrumbs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:zpzec.14796$(E-Mail Removed) m:

> Have any of you opted to get an A+ cert after an MCP or MCSE? (In
> this case, "you" refers to those who built up a nontrivial number of
> years of work experience before the MCP or MCSE, not braindumpers or
> paperpeople.) If so, did you find it an easy exercise? If you've
> devoted a measurable fraction of your life to assembling systems and
> installting and configuring operating systems, did you find extra
> study really necessary?
>


did mine back in 1996. big problem is the price for what you get. I read
the manual (work had one) on a weekend and wrote the tests on Monday
(there is 2 of them). No brainers. Hard part for most people is Hardware
knowledge when they are software people. IRQ mapping and IFS (lasers) is
about it though. pretty basic. then you have it for life.

> While I write as one possessed of no contemporary certifications, my
> early results on the Transcender practice tests haven't been the
> soul-destroying adventures in failure I expected them to be. This
> leads me to the perhaps falsely optimistic hope that my brain hasn't
> totally turned to rancid cheese during my period of joblessness.


possibly not falsely optimistic...

> A local bank is looking for an "IS technician," and the position
> requires an A+ cert, and they'll accept no combination of Microsoft
> certs in substitution. While I'll no doubt fail to qualify for any
> number of other reasons, if the A+ is easy enough, I'll take the tests
> so I can at least apply and let good intentions and shiny shoes do the
> rest.


If you can't find anything else, oh, well. I think you can do better. It
could be that this shop is looking to "self-service" thier own computers.
you would then be doing warranty work on hardware.

Will it get your foot in the door for something better or will you be
stuck swapping hard drives for the rest of your life? If not maybe its
not the job for you. But if you need to eat...

I consider the A+ the very bottom rung of my certification ladder, but
sup to you...

--
Neil
"you'd do what, to who, for how many biscuits?"
 
Reply With Quote
 
Neil
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-12-2004
"Jtyc" <jtyc_mcngp@spamblockerbitch!@yahoo.com> wrote in
news:#(E-Mail Removed):

> When I took the A+ it had a bunch of stuff on it that I would not have
> known had I not studied for it. Printer questions, Apple related and
> FRU questions. For your sake I hope they have updated the test
> somewhat.


you took it back when I did. no Apple on the tests anymore. still laser
tech, IRQs, goofy stuff like how much memory do you need for x amount of
colours on on a 800x600 display. when I took it DOS/Win3.1 was the OS exam.
now its 2000/XP.

try here for the stuff now

http://www.cramsession.com/certifica...tia/a-2003.asp

--
Neil
"you'd do what, to who, for how many biscuits?"
 
Reply With Quote
 
Neil
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-12-2004
Vigo Breadcrumbs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:1jAec.418863$(E-Mail Removed). com:

> In looking at the revised 2003 objectives, there was nothing about
> either. The mere mention of FRUs brings back nauseating memories of
> the PS/2 systems I once had to support.
>


memories <sigh>


> "Apple" is a kind of computer, right?


actually a bad joke by Microsoft...(but they do run Linux now, IIRC)

--
Neil
"you'd do what, to who, for how many biscuits?"
 
Reply With Quote
 
The Viscount Cheapside
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-12-2004
Neil <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Xns94C9895574978neilmcsehotmailcom@207.46.248 .16:

> If you can't find anything else, oh, well. I think you can do better.
> It could be that this shop is looking to "self-service" thier own
> computers. you would then be doing warranty work on hardware.


In all likelihood, this bank now has enough local branches that having a
dedicated support person will be cheaper than farming the work out. It's
not what I want to do but there are serious financial concerns that aren't
getting any better.

> Will it get your foot in the door for something better or will you be
> stuck swapping hard drives for the rest of your life? If not maybe its
> not the job for you. But if you need to eat...


I'm certain most of the IT work comparable to what I've done and what I
want to do is done in their regional office, 200 miles away. From what I
know of the company, they're aggressive on promoting from within. However,
it's in a city to which I have absolutely no desire to move. I would treat
it strictly as pay-the-rent work.

> I consider the A+ the very bottom rung of my certification ladder, but
> sup to you...


It's what I figured. Just looking for informed opinion.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Vigo Breadcrumbs
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-12-2004
Neil <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Xns94C98A55CC141neilmcsehotmailcom@207.46.248 .16:

> Vigo Breadcrumbs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:1jAec.418863$(E-Mail Removed). com:
>
>> In looking at the revised 2003 objectives, there was nothing about
>> either. The mere mention of FRUs brings back nauseating memories of
>> the PS/2 systems I once had to support.
>>

>
> memories <sigh>


Right out of college, I worked for the local county government. They'd
just bought (if I remember correctly) a boatload of PS/2 model 50s.
Nothing was networked in those days, so I suppose that was a choice no
better or worse than anything else. What was bad was when they first
decided to wire everything up in 1995. Since the two network "techs"
and their titular supervisor (who would later get me fired, but that'z
another story) were used to wood-burning computers, they strung thin
coax everywhere. As such, the county had to buy frighteningly expensive
microchannel 10 base 2 cards in bulk. In true IBM fashion, they only
had the BNC connectors and no RJ45, and were thus immediately obsolete.

Lest anyone think I'm being too hard on these guys, this was the same
crew that, despite having a very expensive and high-quality cable
stripper, used the wrong insert in the head and thus stripped too much
of the outer insulation on hundreds of connections. The BNC connectors
were this crimped, or, rather, "crimped," on the braided shield. The
mere act of bumping your desk too hard could cause a connector to fall
off and take a segment with fifty or sixty people off line.

I really need to write a book.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MCP - timeframe for MCP ID Paul MCDST 1 02-11-2008 04:25 PM
MCP site error: "There was an error while registering you as a Learner. Please try after some time." BCW Microsoft Certification 1 12-02-2005 07:20 AM
Problem with registration after passing MCP Exam PS Microsoft Certification 3 11-25-2004 03:05 AM
what is the process to get MCP certificate and MCP Id zigzag MCAD 2 02-02-2004 03:58 PM
Deleted Microsoft Email after my MCP Ed MCSE 2 08-28-2003 01:10 PM



Advertisments