Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Getting on the net x64

Getting on the net x64

Charlie Russel - MVP

The Marvel driver on the ASUS site works fine, I've got it running on two
machines here. It won't matter what modem Verizon wants you to use, so long
as it has an ethernet connection for the LAN side. No USB, please.

Don't see why you would want to use NetZero or any other. I may not love
Verizon, but it works and it's pretty straightforward to set up. When I was
in Verizon's area, I used them as my CLEC, and MegaPath as my ISP. I was
very happy with MegaPath.

If you have only a single machine, you don't need it, but if you'll have
more than one connecting, you'll want a Gateway/Router between your machine
and the modem. Much cleaner than using ICS and some definite advantages.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Bob R wrote:
> Charlie
>
> Thanks for your help. I would still like to get on the NET, with the
> XP64. I am looking at the Verizon /DSL deal as my provider. Which means
> an Ethernet card and their modem. I checked the Asus site and there is a
> dwnload for Marvel/ethernet driverx64. Assuming the x64 driver works, do
> you see any problems w/ a modem (theirs(verizon) or any others). If I
> may ask, how do you get on the net? Will Net zero work etc. (I am
> guessing MSN will, I believe it comes w/ Verizon and I like to think MSN
> would work on this o/s, seeing as it's already installed) But, Hey we're
> talking Microsoft here!! Once again Thank you. You have been very helpful
>
> -
> Bob R
>

> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> Yes, I know you didn't install it -- that's the problem. It's stupid
>> beyond belief, but apparently the only way to get the [explitive
>> deleted] thing to go away is to install it and then UNinstall it.
>>
>> As for AOL -- you're on your own. I don't use it, don't support it, don't
>> like it and wouldn't allow their drivers on my system or any system I
>> support.
>>

>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> Bob R wrote:
>>> Charlie:
>>>
>>> I have an Asus A8nsli-dlx W/ the Nvidia firewall. I never installed
>>> it (that I know of) as it seems to install from the MOBO cd, However,
>>> if you are saying to go ahead and do it anyway I will. I didn't look
>>> in the add/remove program to see if it is there, or should I go into
>>> the bios? Just as an aside, I called AOL and they said that you can get
>>> it working on Win64. BUT...at admin tools (thru control panel) then to
>>> services find remote procedure call (rpc) and find plug and play, set
>>> both to manual and AOL says it will work. My problem is at those two
>>> items all the controls are shaded and cannot be switched (they show as
>>> STARTED and I believe AUTOMATIC) if you can help me out with the
>>> Nvidia thing or the other idea from AOL I would appreciate it. I bring
>>> all this up because I wonder if the Nvidia firewall is affecting these
>>> items also. Anyway I am not using my new PC because I can't get on the
>>> NET. How do you get on the net with XP64?? In other words, what ISP
>>> works with the NET? This came out longer than I expected, but again,
>>> any help would be helpful.
>>>
>>> Much Thanks --
>>> Bob R

ChrisC

Hi, not sure where you are with this post and what m/b you have but X64 has
the marvel yukon driver for the A8V, which may well be the same driver for
you......
ChrisC
news:O2xbf5b%(E-Mail Removed)...