Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > The one thing that makes me crash...

The one thing that makes me crash...

Dennis Gordon

....in 64 bit, is the same thing that crashes me in 32 bit. It's playing
music in the background while working in other apps. I usually have many
things running, often all day without a reboot... InDesign, Photoshop,
Acrobat, IE, Outlook... whatever. I can run stable all day long doing lots
of photo work, distilling, network access, FTPing large files,
downloading... I also like to run some music, usually using Media Player. If
I do so, sooner or later I'll get a ga-ga-ga-ga-ga-ga stuttering sound and a
blue screen, say when I'm printing or distilling. It doesn't happen often,
but I can sense it coming sometimes. Once, maybe twice a day, if I'm using
MP in the background. Otherwise I'm perfectly stable. I've had the same
results in XP Pro.

So what is it about media player that freaks out when I'm doing something
else? It seems to happen when resources are low and memory leaking. Is there
a good way to avoid this rare but annoying behavior? Does playing an MP3 put
a strain on the system... is it a bug... should I be using Winamp instead?
Just curious...

Colin Barnhorst

If you want to try WinAmp, a new version of WinAmp just went up today. If
you get error messages try deselecting WAV/VOC/AU/AIFF during the
installation. (This the advice for x64 on the WinAmp forums regarding
previous builds).

"Dennis Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> ...in 64 bit, is the same thing that crashes me in 32 bit. It's playing
> music in the background while working in other apps. I usually have many
> things running, often all day without a reboot... InDesign, Photoshop,
> Acrobat, IE, Outlook... whatever. I can run stable all day long doing lots
> of photo work, distilling, network access, FTPing large files,
> downloading... I also like to run some music, usually using Media Player.
> If I do so, sooner or later I'll get a ga-ga-ga-ga-ga-ga stuttering sound
> and a blue screen, say when I'm printing or distilling. It doesn't happen
> often, but I can sense it coming sometimes. Once, maybe twice a day, if
> I'm using MP in the background. Otherwise I'm perfectly stable. I've had
> the same results in XP Pro.
>
> So what is it about media player that freaks out when I'm doing something
> else? It seems to happen when resources are low and memory leaking. Is
> there a good way to avoid this rare but annoying behavior? Does playing an
> MP3 put a strain on the system... is it a bug... should I be using Winamp
> instead? Just curious...

Charlie Russel - MVP

Dennis -- I do NOT see this on the Ferrari at all. I've got 5 Terminal
sessions open, Outook, OE, excel, 3 word documents, a remote VS session, a
couple of images open, 10 web pages in 32 bit IE, and anther 5 in 64-bit IE,
and I've been listening to some serious music as I work on a final chapter
for the next book. Now it's true, none of the other windows are processor
intensive. But the overall mix is fairly typical of my workday. I've been
running like this all day, and will probably leave it up till I finish off
the chapter tomorrow. I've done several _large_ downloads, I'm running files
back and forth across the network, and this machine is triple-homed -- two
Gb NICs on two different networks, and the wireless on a third. All with
only 1gb of RAM. (Task manager says I'm running right at 996 Mb of commit
charge, so RAM is pretty much used up.)

My point is -- look for what else could be going on. Maybe some iffy RAM?
Maybe overheating? Are you overclocking at all?
--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Dennis Gordon wrote:
> ...in 64 bit, is the same thing that crashes me in 32 bit. It's playing
> music in the background while working in other apps. I usually have many
> things running, often all day without a reboot... InDesign, Photoshop,
> Acrobat, IE, Outlook... whatever. I can run stable all day long doing lots
> of photo work, distilling, network access, FTPing large files,
> downloading... I also like to run some music, usually using Media Player.
> If I do so, sooner or later I'll get a ga-ga-ga-ga-ga-ga stuttering sound
> and a blue screen, say when I'm printing or distilling. It doesn't happen
> often, but I can sense it coming sometimes. Once, maybe twice a day, if
> I'm using MP in the background. Otherwise I'm perfectly stable. I've had
> the same results in XP Pro.
>
> So what is it about media player that freaks out when I'm doing something
> else? It seems to happen when resources are low and memory leaking. Is
> there a good way to avoid this rare but annoying behavior? Does playing
> an MP3 put a strain on the system... is it a bug... should I be using
> Winamp instead? Just curious...

Dennis Gordon

OK, ya got me... Yeah, I'm O/Cing my 2.0gz 3800x2 to 2.54, which is
pretty high, but not unusual for this processor. My ram, with the divider,
is at DDR422 or so. CPU temps are steady at around 40C and I've slightly
bumped up the CPU voltage. So, upon further review, I see that I may
have...ahem... been pushing things a bit when I last crashed, listening to
some Merle Haggard whilst distilling a 100 meg PS file along with whatever
else was going on...

So I do tend to ride my machine just below it's practical stable performance
limit. But still, I only seem to crash when I'm playing music, something I'd
presume a dual processor should deal with. I can virus scan or defrag or
burn a CD and continue to work in InDesign or Outlook or IE like nothing is
going on (something that would just slow my P4 at home to a crawl). But
throwing on an MP3 seems to make me vulnerable, although it's not chronic,
only occasional. So I guess lowering the speed by 5% would help... but what
fun is that?...

I shouldn't overstate what's happening, when 99% of the time I'm running
solid. Overclocking does stress things, obviously, so I should presume
that's the root cause. I'm just looking for any tweaks that might help.
Thanks...

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dennis -- I do NOT see this on the Ferrari at all. I've got 5 Terminal
> sessions open, Outook, OE, excel, 3 word documents, a remote VS session, a
> couple of images open, 10 web pages in 32 bit IE, and anther 5 in 64-bit

IE,
> and I've been listening to some serious music as I work on a final chapter
> for the next book. Now it's true, none of the other windows are processor
> intensive. But the overall mix is fairly typical of my workday. I've been
> running like this all day, and will probably leave it up till I finish off
> the chapter tomorrow. I've done several _large_ downloads, I'm running

files
> back and forth across the network, and this machine is triple-homed -- two
> Gb NICs on two different networks, and the wireless on a third. All with
> only 1gb of RAM. (Task manager says I'm running right at 996 Mb of commit
> charge, so RAM is pretty much used up.)
>
> My point is -- look for what else could be going on. Maybe some iffy RAM?
> Maybe overheating? Are you overclocking at all?
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Dennis Gordon wrote:
> > ...in 64 bit, is the same thing that crashes me in 32 bit. It's playing
> > music in the background while working in other apps. I usually have many
> > things running, often all day without a reboot... InDesign, Photoshop,
> > Acrobat, IE, Outlook... whatever. I can run stable all day long doing

lots
> > of photo work, distilling, network access, FTPing large files,
> > downloading... I also like to run some music, usually using Media

Player.
> > If I do so, sooner or later I'll get a ga-ga-ga-ga-ga-ga stuttering

sound
> > and a blue screen, say when I'm printing or distilling. It doesn't

happen
> > often, but I can sense it coming sometimes. Once, maybe twice a day, if
> > I'm using MP in the background. Otherwise I'm perfectly stable. I've had
> > the same results in XP Pro.
> >
> > So what is it about media player that freaks out when I'm doing

something
> > else? It seems to happen when resources are low and memory leaking. Is
> > there a good way to avoid this rare but annoying behavior? Does playing
> > an MP3 put a strain on the system... is it a bug... should I be using
> > Winamp instead? Just curious...

Randy

I don't crash so much as slow to a crawl at times. Bumping my laptop up to a
gig of RAM made no difference. Playing video is much worse than audio.

My solution was to buy an external MP3 player/FM tuner and play it through
my system's mic input, thereby removing the system's need to do serious
processing/decoding. I then send it via speaker out to a wireless link to my
entertainment system to play on my stereo. I also mostly record/digitize
(mpeg4) video using an external (consumer) PVR for similar reasons.
Dedicated hardware is good. ;~)

Hopefully the problem won't be so bad on an HT or multi-core or SMP system,
but I spend most of my time computing on my old P3 & P4 laptops using x32
Windows Home or 2000 Pro.

"Dennis Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> ...in 64 bit, is the same thing that crashes me in 32 bit. It's playing
> music in the background while working in other apps. I usually have many
> things running, often all day without a reboot... InDesign, Photoshop,
> Acrobat, IE, Outlook... whatever. I can run stable all day long doing lots
> of photo work, distilling, network access, FTPing large files,
> downloading... I also like to run some music, usually using Media Player.

If
> I do so, sooner or later I'll get a ga-ga-ga-ga-ga-ga stuttering sound and

> blue screen, say when I'm printing or distilling. It doesn't happen often,
> but I can sense it coming sometimes. Once, maybe twice a day, if I'm using
> MP in the background. Otherwise I'm perfectly stable. I've had the same
> results in XP Pro.
>
> So what is it about media player that freaks out when I'm doing something
> else? It seems to happen when resources are low and memory leaking. Is

there
> a good way to avoid this rare but annoying behavior? Does playing an MP3

put
> a strain on the system... is it a bug... should I be using Winamp instead?
> Just curious...

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Which book is it, Server 2003 R2 companion?
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dennis -- I do NOT see this on the Ferrari at all. I've got 5 Terminal
> sessions open, Outook, OE, excel, 3 word documents, a remote VS session, a
> couple of images open, 10 web pages in 32 bit IE, and anther 5 in 64-bit
> IE, and I've been listening to some serious music as I work on a final
> chapter for the next book. Now it's true, none of the other windows are
> processor intensive. But the overall mix is fairly typical of my workday.
> I've been running like this all day, and will probably leave it up till I
> finish off the chapter tomorrow. I've done several _large_ downloads, I'm
> running files back and forth across the network, and this machine is
> triple-homed -- two Gb NICs on two different networks, and the wireless on
> a third. All with only 1gb of RAM. (Task manager says I'm running right at
> 996 Mb of commit charge, so RAM is pretty much used up.)
>
> My point is -- look for what else could be going on. Maybe some iffy RAM?
> Maybe overheating? Are you overclocking at all?
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Dennis Gordon wrote:
>> ...in 64 bit, is the same thing that crashes me in 32 bit. It's playing
>> music in the background while working in other apps. I usually have many
>> things running, often all day without a reboot... InDesign, Photoshop,
>> Acrobat, IE, Outlook... whatever. I can run stable all day long doing
>> lots
>> of photo work, distilling, network access, FTPing large files,
>> downloading... I also like to run some music, usually using Media Player.
>> If I do so, sooner or later I'll get a ga-ga-ga-ga-ga-ga stuttering sound
>> and a blue screen, say when I'm printing or distilling. It doesn't happen
>> often, but I can sense it coming sometimes. Once, maybe twice a day, if
>> I'm using MP in the background. Otherwise I'm perfectly stable. I've had
>> the same results in XP Pro.
>>
>> So what is it about media player that freaks out when I'm doing something
>> else? It seems to happen when resources are low and memory leaking. Is
>> there a good way to avoid this rare but annoying behavior? Does playing
>> an MP3 put a strain on the system... is it a bug... should I be using
>> Winamp instead? Just curious...

Charlie Russel - MVP

Got ya! Well, I have no idea why, but apparently something in the music
playing is pushing things beyond what you can handle at that OC. I'm
guessing, but do you use the onboard audio? If so, dump it and get a good
board from Creative or another that has solid x64 drivers. That will offload
it from the mobo and cpu much better.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Dennis Gordon wrote:
> [...]
>>> Acrobat, IE, Outlook... whatever. I can run stable all day long doing
>>> lots of photo work, distilling, network access, FTPing large files,
>>> downloading... I also like to run some music, usually using Media
>>> Player. If I do so, sooner or later I'll get a ga-ga-ga-ga-ga-ga
>>> stuttering sound and a blue screen, say when I'm printing or
>>> distilling. It doesn't happen often, but I can sense it coming
>>> sometimes. Once, maybe twice a day, if I'm using MP in the background.
>>> Otherwise I'm perfectly stable. I've had the same results in XP Pro.
>>>
>>> So what is it about media player that freaks out when I'm doing
>>> something else? It seems to happen when resources are low and memory
>>> leaking. Is there a good way to avoid this rare but annoying behavior?
>>> Does playing an MP3 put a strain on the system... is it a bug... should
>>> I be using Winamp instead? Just curious...

Yep, I do have the onboard audio. I also have 2 unused Seasound Solo
external A/D interfaces that I could use... if only there were 64 bit
drivers, which is unlikely, seeing that they went out of business 5 years
ago. They work great with XP Pro.

This really isn't a big problem. Why I was just playing some xmas music to
the annoyance of many while doing my usual routines with nary a hiccup.
Probably the easiest thing is just to turn down the juice on the machine...

news:uO$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>>> 64-bit IE, and I've been listening to some serious music as I work on a
>>> final chapter for the next book. Now it's true, none of the other
>>> windows are processor intensive. But the overall mix is fairly typical
>>> of my workday. I've been running like this all day, and will probably
>>> leave it up till I finish off the chapter tomorrow. I've done several
>>> _large_ downloads, I'm running files back and forth across the network,
>>> and this machine is triple-homed -- two Gb NICs on two different
>>> networks, and the wireless on a third. All with only 1gb of RAM. (Task
>>> manager says I'm running right at 996 Mb of commit charge, so RAM is
>>> pretty much used up.)
>>>
>>> My point is -- look for what else could be going on. Maybe some iffy
>>> RAM?
>>> Maybe overheating? Are you overclocking at all?

If you want an external one, take a look at the Creative USB model(Audigy
NX?). There are 64bit drivers for it, and it's a good overall solution. But
almost any add-on sound card will put less stress on the system than the
(frankly awful) built in AC97 chips.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Dennis Gordon wrote:
> Yep, I do have the onboard audio. I also have 2 unused Seasound Solo
> external A/D interfaces that I could use... if only there were 64 bit
> drivers, which is unlikely, seeing that they went out of business 5 years
> ago. They work great with XP Pro.
>
> This really isn't a big problem. Why I was just playing some xmas music to
> the annoyance of many while doing my usual routines with nary a hiccup.
> Probably the easiest thing is just to turn down the juice on the
> machine...

> news:uO$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Got ya! Well, I have no idea why, but apparently something in the
>> music playing is pushing things beyond what you can handle at that OC.
>> I'm guessing, but do you use the onboard audio? If so, dump it and get a
>> good board from Creative or another that has solid x64 drivers. That will
>> offload it from the mobo and cpu much better.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> Dennis Gordon wrote:
>>> OK, ya got me... Yeah, I'm O/Cing my 2.0gz 3800x2 to 2.54, which is
>>> pretty high, but not unusual for this processor. My ram, with the
>>> divider,
>>> is at DDR422 or so. CPU temps are steady at around 40C and I've slightly
>>> bumped up the CPU voltage. So, upon further review, I see that I may
>>> have...ahem... been pushing things a bit when I last crashed, listening
>>> some Merle Haggard whilst distilling a 100 meg PS file along with
>>> whatever
>>> else was going on...
>>>
>>> So I do tend to ride my machine just below it's practical stable
>>> performance limit. But still, I only seem to crash when I'm playing
>>> music, something I'd presume a dual processor should deal with. I can
>>> virus scan or defrag or burn a CD and continue to work in InDesign or
>>> Outlook or IE like nothing is going on (something that would just slow
>>> my P4 at home to a crawl). But throwing on an MP3 seems to make me
>>> vulnerable, although it's not chronic, only occasional. So I guess
>>> lowering the speed by 5% would help... but what fun is that?...
>>>
>>> I shouldn't overstate what's happening, when 99% of the time I'm running
>>> solid. Overclocking does stress things, obviously, so I should presume
>>> that's the root cause. I'm just looking for any tweaks that might help.
>>> Thanks...
>>>

>>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yes, the Server 2003 Administrator's Companion is getting an update for SP1
and R2. Should be out Q1 of 2007.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
> Which book is it, Server 2003 R2 companion?

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Dennis -- I do NOT see this on the Ferrari at all. I've got 5 Terminal
>> sessions open, Outook, OE, excel, 3 word documents, a remote VS session,
>> a couple of images open, 10 web pages in 32 bit IE, and anther 5 in
>> 64-bit IE, and I've been listening to some serious music as I work on a
>> final chapter for the next book. Now it's true, none of the other
>> windows are processor intensive. But the overall mix is fairly typical
>> of my workday. I've been running like this all day, and will probably
>> leave it up till I finish off the chapter tomorrow. I've done several
>> _large_ downloads, I'm running files back and forth across the network,
>> and this machine is triple-homed -- two Gb NICs on two different
>> networks, and the wireless on a third. All with only 1gb of RAM. (Task
>> manager says I'm running right at 996 Mb of commit charge, so RAM is
>> pretty much used up.) My point is -- look for what else could be going
>> on. Maybe some iffy RAM?
>> Maybe overheating? Are you overclocking at all?
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> Dennis Gordon wrote:
>>> ...in 64 bit, is the same thing that crashes me in 32 bit. It's playing
>>> music in the background while working in other apps. I usually have many
>>> things running, often all day without a reboot... InDesign, Photoshop,
>>> Acrobat, IE, Outlook... whatever. I can run stable all day long doing
>>> lots
>>> of photo work, distilling, network access, FTPing large files,
>>> downloading... I also like to run some music, usually using Media
>>> Player. If I do so, sooner or later I'll get a ga-ga-ga-ga-ga-ga
>>> stuttering sound and a blue screen, say when I'm printing or
>>> distilling. It doesn't happen often, but I can sense it coming
>>> sometimes. Once, maybe twice a day, if I'm using MP in the background.
>>> Otherwise I'm perfectly stable. I've had the same results in XP Pro.
>>>
>>> So what is it about media player that freaks out when I'm doing
>>> something else? It seems to happen when resources are low and memory
>>> leaking. Is there a good way to avoid this rare but annoying behavior?
>>> Does playing an MP3 put a strain on the system... is it a bug... should
>>> I be using Winamp instead? Just curious...

how does one talk to a web service? What makes something a webservice? Andrew Java 18 06-30-2009 01:37 AM
one thing solved, but other terrible thing occur... Zam ASP General 1 03-14-2005 06:09 PM
one more thing Sean Grieco Cisco 1 11-05-2004 03:35 PM
Converted to Mozilla but one thing missing - key macro/substitution no-spam Firefox 5 07-29-2003 08:07 PM

Advertisments