Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > MS downloads fail - again

MS downloads fail - again

ChrisC

Hi Charlie and thx for your reply though, unfortunantely it seems you've not
been following this thread, or my other one. If you had you would know that
my motherboard is a A8V, Via based chipset, thus it has no NV firewall.
Besides, I can download from any other website, including those that use
active-x, it is only MS that has the problems. Anyhow, thanks again for your
contribution, three heads are better than one, including Andre's help as
well....
ChrisC
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If the 64-bit version works, and the 32-bit version of IE doesn't, along
> with other 32-bit network apps, then the following probably applies:
> ------------
> Unfortunately, the built in nVidia firewall product appears to install at
> least some portion of itself even if you've never chosen to install it.
> And this appears to interfere with 32-bit programs. The solution is to
> install the firewall program if it isn't already installed, and then
> uninstall it.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> ChrisC wrote:
>> Hallo again, well I've just dicovered that manual valudation works with
>> the 64bit version of IE and I can download from MS all files. However I
>> have to re-valuate everytime and the active-x side still doesn't work.
>> Still at least I can get stuff from MS which is a start.....
>> ChrisC
>> "ChrisC" <cuke2u(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi, I've had to re-install X64 because a offline defrag corrupted my
>>> installation. Now, once again, I can't download any files from
>>> Microsoft.
>>> Nothing works, not validation, not MSN Messenger, none. I can go to any
>>> other website and I have no problems, ATI, CT, Adobe etc. etc. etc. If
>>> you can recall I have this problem before with X64 and it just seemed to
>>> clear up. It's not my ADSL router, because both my wireless laptop and
>>> my other, wired, desktop has no such problems.
>>> Its rather weird...
>>> ChrisC

Charlie Russel - MVP

sorry, you're right, I didn't read further up the thread. Just checking for
new messages, saw the description, and replied. My bad -- I should have read
more carefully.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

ChrisC wrote:
> Hi Charlie and thx for your reply though, unfortunantely it seems you've
> not been following this thread, or my other one. If you had you would
> know that my motherboard is a A8V, Via based chipset, thus it has no NV
> firewall. Besides, I can download from any other website, including those
> that use active-x, it is only MS that has the problems. Anyhow, thanks
> again for your contribution, three heads are better than one, including
> Andre's help as well....
> ChrisC
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If the 64-bit version works, and the 32-bit version of IE doesn't, along
>> with other 32-bit network apps, then the following probably applies:
>> ------------
>> Unfortunately, the built in nVidia firewall product appears to install at
>> least some portion of itself even if you've never chosen to install it.
>> And this appears to interfere with 32-bit programs. The solution is to
>> install the firewall program if it isn't already installed, and then
>> uninstall it.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> ChrisC wrote:
>>> Hallo again, well I've just dicovered that manual valudation works with
>>> the 64bit version of IE and I can download from MS all files. However I
>>> have to re-valuate everytime and the active-x side still doesn't work.
>>> Still at least I can get stuff from MS which is a start.....
>>> ChrisC
>>> "ChrisC" <cuke2u(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Have you tried using FireFox instead?
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"ChrisC" <cuke2u(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hallo again, well I've just dicovered that manual valudation works with
> the 64bit version of IE and I can download from MS all files. However I
> have to re-valuate everytime and the active-x side still doesn't work.
> Still at least I can get stuff from MS which is a start.....
> ChrisC
> "ChrisC" <cuke2u(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi, I've had to re-install X64 because a offline defrag corrupted my
>> installation. Now, once again, I can't download any files from Microsoft.
>> Nothing works, not validation, not MSN Messenger, none. I can go to any
>> other website and I have no problems, ATI, CT, Adobe etc. etc. etc. If
>> you can recall I have this problem before with X64 and it just seemed to
>> clear up. It's not my ADSL router, because both my wireless laptop and my
>> other, wired, desktop has no such problems.
>> Its rather weird...
>> ChrisC

ChrisC

God no, overated, overstated and just as insecure and I wonder if it will
still have no access to certain websites. I'm sure IE 7.0 won't be long....
ChrisC
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have you tried using FireFox instead?
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "ChrisC" <cuke2u(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hallo again, well I've just dicovered that manual valudation works with
>> the 64bit version of IE and I can download from MS all files. However I
>> have to re-valuate everytime and the active-x side still doesn't work.
>> Still at least I can get stuff from MS which is a start.....
>> ChrisC
>> "ChrisC" <cuke2u(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi, I've had to re-install X64 because a offline defrag corrupted my
>>> installation. Now, once again, I can't download any files from
>>> Microsoft. Nothing works, not validation, not MSN Messenger, none. I can
>>> go to any other website and I have no problems, ATI, CT, Adobe etc. etc.
>>> etc. If you can recall I have this problem before with X64 and it just
>>> seemed to clear up. It's not my ADSL router, because both my wireless
>>> laptop and my other, wired, desktop has no such problems.
>>> Its rather weird...
>>> ChrisC

Rob Wilkens

"Andre Da Costa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Only advice then is to hear what others have to say or get a Priest and
> exorcise that machine.
> --
> Andre

Priest: "Out damned microsoft -- begone from that computer." (He then holds
a penguin towards the computer and covers his eyes because the light is so
bright)

-Rob
(running BOTH Windows XP x64 edition, and Fedora Core 4 Linux, x86_64
edition.)

Rob Wilkens

Take my other suggestion -- go to redhat.com, download fedora "x86_64"
edition (it's free, but it doesn't really run windows programs, but it's
better than youe PC being a $400 doorstop). If you download it, I recommend
using the bittorent download route, as downloading the intsall DVD image was
a lot easier that way.

-Rob

"ChrisC" <cuke2u(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, well I hate being proved right but a clean install didn't change
> things. Still can't download anything from MS despite only installing the
> OS with the drivers X64 gave me, didn't install any patches, applications
> or other drivers, didn't even create an account. Perhaps I can make some
> cash out of this by exhibiting my PC as a curiosity,
> ChrisC

Rob Wilkens

Actually, in the not too distant future, unless IE Upgrades, there will be
quite a number of sites that require Firefox and won't run on IE.

For example the <CANVAS> tag (which allows drawing on the screen from a
Javascript script) is only supported in Firefox and some other Mac-only
browser. Intenret explorer won't yet be able to display those pages. I saw
a web page designed with the <CANVAS> tag that allowed moving through a web
page like you would a game of DOOM, the ideaas this allows for the future of
the web are open to the imagination of the creators. If Internet Explorer
doesn't keep up, well, it will fall back to what the generically included
tools in operating systems have always been refered to as -- cheap cr*p.

-Rob

"ChrisC" <cuke2u(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> God no, overated, overstated and just as insecure and I wonder if it will
> still have no access to certain websites. I'm sure IE 7.0 won't be
> long....
> ChrisC
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Have you tried using FireFox instead?
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "ChrisC" <cuke2u(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hallo again, well I've just dicovered that manual valudation works with
>>> the 64bit version of IE and I can download from MS all files. However I
>>> have to re-valuate everytime and the active-x side still doesn't work.
>>> Still at least I can get stuff from MS which is a start.....
>>> ChrisC
>>> "ChrisC" <cuke2u(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

ChrisC

Hi Rob and thx for your replies. Nope, wouldn't go near with anything you
have suggested, no way would I put any versions of Linux on my PC as it is,
like Firefox, overblown and overstated and of no use to me. As for my 400
PC being a doorstop, LOL. My PC would cost well over a 1000, possibly even
2000 and it will play any game, run any application till the cows come
home. However, some success, perhaps your exocism did work. In valudation I
now get that it isn't supported for this version of windows or for this
non-Microsoft OS, hehe, now that's laugh, and, and downloads WORK!!!!
End of story, I hope
Thx again.....
Chris
"Rob Wilkens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Actually, in the not too distant future, unless IE Upgrades, there will be
> quite a number of sites that require Firefox and won't run on IE.
>
> For example the <CANVAS> tag (which allows drawing on the screen from a
> Javascript script) is only supported in Firefox and some other Mac-only
> browser. Intenret explorer won't yet be able to display those pages. I
> saw a web page designed with the <CANVAS> tag that allowed moving through
> a web page like you would a game of DOOM, the ideaas this allows for the
> future of the web are open to the imagination of the creators. If
> Internet Explorer doesn't keep up, well, it will fall back to what the
> generically included tools in operating systems have always been refered
> to as -- cheap cr*p.
>
> -Rob
>
> "ChrisC" <cuke2u(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> God no, overated, overstated and just as insecure and I wonder if it will
>> still have no access to certain websites. I'm sure IE 7.0 won't be
>> long....
>> ChrisC
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Have you tried using FireFox instead?
>>> --
>>> Andre
>>>
>>> "ChrisC" <cuke2u(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Rob Wilkens

I didn't say anything about Linux below and have no idea where your comments
are coming from. I was talking about firefox on windows.

-Rob

"ChrisC" <cuke2u(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Rob and thx for your replies. Nope, wouldn't go near with anything you
> have suggested, no way would I put any versions of Linux on my PC as it
> is, like Firefox, overblown and overstated and of no use to me. As for my
> 400 PC being a doorstop, LOL. My PC would cost well over a 1000,
> possibly even 2000 and it will play any game, run any application till
> the cows come home. However, some success, perhaps your exocism did work.
> In valudation I now get that it isn't supported for this version of
> windows or for this non-Microsoft OS, hehe, now that's laugh, and, and
> downloads WORK!!!!
> End of story, I hope
> Thx again.....
> Chris
> "Rob Wilkens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Actually, in the not too distant future, unless IE Upgrades, there will
>> be quite a number of sites that require Firefox and won't run on IE.
>>
>> For example the <CANVAS> tag (which allows drawing on the screen from a
>> Javascript script) is only supported in Firefox and some other Mac-only
>> browser. Intenret explorer won't yet be able to display those pages. I
>> saw a web page designed with the <CANVAS> tag that allowed moving through
>> a web page like you would a game of DOOM, the ideaas this allows for the
>> future of the web are open to the imagination of the creators. If
>> Internet Explorer doesn't keep up, well, it will fall back to what the
>> generically included tools in operating systems have always been refered
>> to as -- cheap cr*p.
>>
>> -Rob
>>
>> "ChrisC" <cuke2u(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> God no, overated, overstated and just as insecure and I wonder if it
>>> will still have no access to certain websites. I'm sure IE 7.0 won't be
>>> long....
>>> ChrisC
>>> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

ChrisC

Hi Rob, posted by youself on the 1/12/05 "Take my other suggestion -- go to
redhat.com, download fedora "x86_64"
Is Fedora not Linux based, if not then I apologise for my indiscretion.....
ChrisC
news:emne4EF%(E-Mail Removed)...