Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > "Downgrade" to XP Pro

"Downgrade" to XP Pro

Colin Barnhorst

Consider installing a second drive. Otherwise you will have to use
third-party software to partition the disk without losing the system on C:.
The Disk Manager in XP x64 will not allow you to divide up C:. Commercial
disk management software costs about the same as another hard disk anyway,
depending on its capacity. After you decide what you want to do, folks in
this ng can guide you to installing x86 on your system. As a rule you would
need to install the x86 edition first and then x64 (older OS's should be
installed before newer), but there are procedures for use if you have
already installed the newer OS first. First decide what you want to do.

"Rmoseley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Where is this x64 partition software exactly? Right now I have one OS
> (x64),
> and one volume (C. Since I only have one volume, don't I have to
> reformat
> the volume / drive anyway in order to create two partitions and then
> install
> the two OSs? Or can I in effect keep x64 in place and carve out another
> partition, and then install XP Pro there?
> --
> Rick
>

> "t" wrote:
>
>> You could use the partion software that is in windows x64 and partion
>> your
>> drive. Then install XP pro on the partion.
>> I have done this because I also have busness software that does not work
>> in
>> x64 but does in XP pro.

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Yes, the entire hard disk has to be wiped out. What you can do is back
>> > up
>> > your data, to secondary storage, such as Blank disk or to a network
>> > location if possible. You will have to obtain drivers for your Acer to
>> > support 32 bit Windows since the ones provided with Acer were
>> > specifically
>> > for 64 bit Windows, shouldn't be a problem since Acer provides drivers
>> > on
>> > their website.
>> >
>> > http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers...rrari4000.html
>> > --
>> > Andre
>> > Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>> > Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
>> > http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
>> > FAQ for MS AntiSpy
>> > http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
>> > "David Leigh-Pemberton" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> > wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

=?Utf-8?B?Um1vc2VsZXk=?=

OK, I don't care about x64 anymore. Even a MS Presales / Tech Support person
said that if none of my apps run 64 bit or even provide 64-bit drivers for
WOW64 emulation, there's no benefit, and why bother with a dual boot. Just
install XP Pro over x64 for now. BUT, when I boot from the CD with a retail
full XP Pro copy, it doesn't even see my harddrive. (I have [2] 80GB
harddrives installed with mirroring). I also tried a third party disk mgmt
app, which didn't see my C drive. (But of course it's there if I boot from my
harddrive). Can you help me just make x64 go away and replace it with XP
Pro? Thank you. Argh.
--
Rick

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Consider installing a second drive. Otherwise you will have to use
> third-party software to partition the disk without losing the system on C:.
> The Disk Manager in XP x64 will not allow you to divide up C:. Commercial
> disk management software costs about the same as another hard disk anyway,
> depending on its capacity. After you decide what you want to do, folks in
> this ng can guide you to installing x86 on your system. As a rule you would
> need to install the x86 edition first and then x64 (older OS's should be
> installed before newer), but there are procedures for use if you have
> already installed the newer OS first. First decide what you want to do.

> "Rmoseley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Where is this x64 partition software exactly? Right now I have one OS
> > (x64),
> > and one volume (C. Since I only have one volume, don't I have to
> > reformat
> > the volume / drive anyway in order to create two partitions and then
> > install
> > the two OSs? Or can I in effect keep x64 in place and carve out another
> > partition, and then install XP Pro there?
> > --
> > Rick
> >

> > "t" wrote:
> >
> >> You could use the partion software that is in windows x64 and partion
> >> your
> >> drive. Then install XP pro on the partion.
> >> I have done this because I also have busness software that does not work
> >> in
> >> x64 but does in XP pro.
> >>
> >> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Patrick

The reason that "XP Pro copy, it doesn't even see my harddrive"
does not see your hard drive(s) is because even plain old x86 XP
needs you to hit F6 and give it the RAID drivers.

"Rmoseley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> OK, I don't care about x64 anymore. Even a MS Presales / Tech Support

person
> said that if none of my apps run 64 bit or even provide 64-bit drivers for
> WOW64 emulation, there's no benefit, and why bother with a dual boot. Just
> install XP Pro over x64 for now. BUT, when I boot from the CD with a

retail
> full XP Pro copy, it doesn't even see my harddrive. (I have [2] 80GB
> harddrives installed with mirroring). I also tried a third party disk

mgmt
> app, which didn't see my C drive. (But of course it's there if I boot from

my
> harddrive). Can you help me just make x64 go away and replace it with XP
> Pro? Thank you. Argh.
> --
> Rick
>

> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
> > Consider installing a second drive. Otherwise you will have to use
> > third-party software to partition the disk without losing the system on

C:.
> > The Disk Manager in XP x64 will not allow you to divide up C:.

Commercial
> > disk management software costs about the same as another hard disk

anyway,
> > depending on its capacity. After you decide what you want to do, folks

in
> > this ng can guide you to installing x86 on your system. As a rule you

would
> > need to install the x86 edition first and then x64 (older OS's should be
> > installed before newer), but there are procedures for use if you have
> > already installed the newer OS first. First decide what you want to do.
> >
> > --
> > Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
> > (Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
> > "Rmoseley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Where is this x64 partition software exactly? Right now I have one OS
> > > (x64),
> > > and one volume (C. Since I only have one volume, don't I have to
> > > reformat
> > > the volume / drive anyway in order to create two partitions and then
> > > install
> > > the two OSs? Or can I in effect keep x64 in place and carve out

another
> > > partition, and then install XP Pro there?
> > > --
> > > Rick

work

back

drivers

<(E-Mail Removed)>

my

reverted

need

conclusion

of my

photos

not

possible?

4000)

=?Utf-8?B?Um1vc2VsZXk=?=

OK. How do I "give it" the RAID drivers? I boot from the XP CD, hit F6, and
get the option to select S "to manually specify SCSI adapters...or special
disk controllers". I insert my disk in A that allegedly contains the drivers.
It says "the file txtsetup.oem could not be found" and the process stops. I
have the disk right from the OEM containing the RAID drivers. (I'm also
trying this on another older computer with SCSI drives, I have the SCSI
drivers on a floppy. Get the same error message). Thank you.
--
Rick

"Patrick" wrote:

> The reason that "XP Pro copy, it doesn't even see my harddrive"
> does not see your hard drive(s) is because even plain old x86 XP
> needs you to hit F6 and give it the RAID drivers.
>

> "Rmoseley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > OK, I don't care about x64 anymore. Even a MS Presales / Tech Support

> person
> > said that if none of my apps run 64 bit or even provide 64-bit drivers for
> > WOW64 emulation, there's no benefit, and why bother with a dual boot. Just
> > install XP Pro over x64 for now. BUT, when I boot from the CD with a

> retail
> > full XP Pro copy, it doesn't even see my harddrive. (I have [2] 80GB
> > harddrives installed with mirroring). I also tried a third party disk

> mgmt
> > app, which didn't see my C drive. (But of course it's there if I boot from

> my
> > harddrive). Can you help me just make x64 go away and replace it with XP
> > Pro? Thank you. Argh.
> > --
> > Rick
> >

> > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
> >
> > > Consider installing a second drive. Otherwise you will have to use
> > > third-party software to partition the disk without losing the system on

> C:.
> > > The Disk Manager in XP x64 will not allow you to divide up C:.

> Commercial
> > > disk management software costs about the same as another hard disk

> anyway,
> > > depending on its capacity. After you decide what you want to do, folks

> in
> > > this ng can guide you to installing x86 on your system. As a rule you

> would
> > > need to install the x86 edition first and then x64 (older OS's should be
> > > installed before newer), but there are procedures for use if you have
> > > already installed the newer OS first. First decide what you want to do.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
> > > (Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
> > > "Rmoseley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> another

> work

> back

> drivers

> <(E-Mail Removed)>

> my

> reverted

> need

> conclusion

> of my

> photos

> not

> possible?

> 4000)

Patrick

First look on the Floppy to be sure that the "txtsetup.oem"
is indeed there. Also, you should see 2 other files "Disk1" and a
Readme.txt.
Then there should be folders as well "AMD64" - Win_XP etc.

If they are all there - begin the installation again - When you get to
the part where you hit "S to manually specify" and you get the same error -
Take the floppy out and re-insert it.

In fact, put the floppy in before you start installation from the CD.
You will hear XP check the Floppy Drive before you ever even hit F6.
and again if you get the same error - take the floppy out and re-insert.
If that does not work use another - preferable new floppy.
(Floppy's inherently suck and is why they are on their way out as a means of
removable media)

> [...]

> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > OK, I don't care about x64 anymore. Even a MS Presales / Tech Support

> > person
> > > said that if none of my apps run 64 bit or even provide 64-bit drivers

for
> > > WOW64 emulation, there's no benefit, and why bother with a dual boot.

Just
> > > install XP Pro over x64 for now. BUT, when I boot from the CD with a

> > retail
> > > full XP Pro copy, it doesn't even see my harddrive. (I have [2] 80GB
> > > harddrives installed with mirroring). I also tried a third party disk

> > mgmt
> > > app, which didn't see my C drive. (But of course it's there if I boot

from
> > my
> > > harddrive). Can you help me just make x64 go away and replace it with

Charlie Russel - MVP

What you said was "wipe the entire hard disk". Disk is physical disk. Drive
can be many things. Volume or partition is pretty clear and specific. But
the physical disk is, in this case, two volumes. Only one of them needs to
be wiped.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
> But thats what I said, back up the data to secondary storage, the only
> drive that needs to be wiped is the one Windows is on which is the most
> likely place he install his applications and data on.

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> NO. The entire HD does NOT need to be wiped out. The Ferrari ships with 2
>> partitions, C: and D:, each 50 Gb in size. The OP needs to wipe out C:,
>> but can put all his "stuff" on D:. It will be fine.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
>>> Yes, the entire hard disk has to be wiped out. What you can do is back
>>> up your data, to secondary storage, such as Blank disk or to a network
>>> location if possible. You will have to obtain drivers for your Acer to
>>> support 32 bit Windows since the ones provided with Acer were
>>> specifically for 64 bit Windows, shouldn't be a problem since Acer
>>> provides drivers on their website.
>>>
>>> http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers...rrari4000.html

Charlie Russel - MVP

Have to wait for Virtual Server, as Colin points out. Soon. Very soon. But
VMWare Workstation 5.5 is out and works great. I run both here, on x64
machines, and like different things about each of them. In my book on Server
2003 R2, I have a chapter on Virtual Server, but I also suggest VMWare for
patch management test environments because you can host x64 guest machines.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Rmoseley wrote:
> Yes this seems to be a good option. Tried do find and download but R2
> doesn't appear to be out yet; available "early december". Can I do this
> with VSS 2005 (not R2)? Seems like VSS R2 is/will be priced at $99,
> while VSS is currently priced at $499. Should I just try the 180 day
> eval version of Virtual Server Standard and see if it works until R2 is
> available?
>
>> You could also install it in a Virtual environment using VM Ware
>> Workstation
>> 5.5 or Microsoft Virtual Server Standard 2005 R2
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "Rmoseley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Just bought a new computer preinstalled with Windows xp Pro x64 edition.
>>> Before doing so was assured it "runs all 32 bit apps no problem". Of
>>> course
>>> I attemtped to install the app I bought this box for and it failed b/c
>>> "cannot run with 64 bit version of windows".
>>>
>>> Do I basically have to wipe and re-install Standard XP pro, following
>>> the advice in this thread? (why all the noise about WOW64 and other
>>> stuff if this
>>> is basically hit or miss to discover if my key programs will run?)
>>>

>>> --
>>> Rick

=?Utf-8?B?Um1vc2VsZXk=?=

Got it. There was no txtsetup.exe on the Seagate installation disk. BUT
following your suggestion to boot from the floppy, rather than from the XP CD
and then hitting F6, did the trick. Thanks!
--
Rick

"Patrick" wrote:

> [...]

> and
> > get the option to select S "to manually specify SCSI adapters...or special
> > disk controllers". I insert my disk in A that allegedly contains the

> drivers.
> > It says "the file txtsetup.oem could not be found" and the process stops.

> > have the disk right from the OEM containing the RAID drivers. (I'm also
> > trying this on another older computer with SCSI drives, I have the SCSI
> > drivers on a floppy. Get the same error message). Thank you.
> > --
> > Rick
> >

> > "Patrick" wrote:
> >
> > > The reason that "XP Pro copy, it doesn't even see my harddrive"
> > > does not see your hard drive(s) is because even plain old x86 XP
> > > needs you to hit F6 and give it the RAID drivers.
> > >

> > > "Rmoseley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

Rob Wilkens

Why does he have to WIPE his windows partition to install a new copy of
windows. Is this new to x64 windows, or are you guys complete idiots.

All you have to do is change the installation path on the new copy of
windows -- install, for example to C:\WINXP32 instead of C:\WINDOWS. Last
I checked you have that option during the install process. This way you'll
have two copies of windows on the same drive.

-Rob

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> But thats what I said, back up the data to secondary storage, the only
> drive that needs to be wiped is the one Windows is on which is the most
> likely place he install his applications and data on.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> NO. The entire HD does NOT need to be wiped out. The Ferrari ships with 2
>> partitions, C: and D:, each 50 Gb in size. The OP needs to wipe out C:,
>> but can put all his "stuff" on D:. It will be fine.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
>>> Yes, the entire hard disk has to be wiped out. What you can do is back
>>> up
>>> your data, to secondary storage, such as Blank disk or to a network
>>> location if possible. You will have to obtain drivers for your Acer to
>>> support 32 bit Windows since the ones provided with Acer were
>>> specifically for 64 bit Windows, shouldn't be a problem since Acer
>>> provides drivers on their website.
>>>
>>> http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers...rrari4000.html

Rob Wilkens

Why isn't there a "Downgrade" license option

-Rob

news:(E-Mail Removed)...