Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Remove XP Pro 32 bit from a dualboot installation with X64?

Remove XP Pro 32 bit from a dualboot installation with X64?

=?Utf-8?B?UGFzY2Fs?=

Xp Pro 32 bit and X64 are each installed on seperate hard drives.

Boot ini located on the drive where the XP 32 bit is installed reads as
follows:

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windo ws XP Professional x64
Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Boot ini located on the drive where the X64 is installed reads as follows:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP
Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

I wish to delete and reformat the drive where XP pro 32 bit is installed
since I only want to use X64.

How can I safely remove it without affecting my X64 installation?

Tony Sperling

It depends a bit on how you first performed the set-up, and a bit on how you
want the new set-up to appear. Are these installations sitting, each on
their own Primary Partition - or, do you have 32bit on a C:\ Primary
Partition and 64bit on D:\ (as an example) on a Extended Partition? The
latter would adhere to the Windows default way of doing things, the former
could be easier and safer to deal with. The answer will have impact on your
options.

Unfortunately, the only thing I can see from reading those files, is that
you have both systems on the same physical disk, but then, I am no expert!

If you have only one (1) Primary Partition you cannot delete it without
losing the other!!!

You should, however, be able to reformat, but you might not be able to
easily reset the drive letters.

Tony. . .

"Pascal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Xp Pro 32 bit and X64 are each installed on seperate hard drives.
>
> Boot ini located on the drive where the XP 32 bit is installed reads as
> follows:
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=5
> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOW S
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windo ws XP Professional x64
> Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
>
> Boot ini located on the drive where the X64 is installed reads as
> follows:
>

> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP
> Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
>
> I wish to delete and reformat the drive where XP pro 32 bit is installed
> since I only want to use X64.
>
> How can I safely remove it without affecting my X64 installation?

John Barnes

You need to copy your ntldr and ntdetect.com from your xp32 drive to the xp
64 drive
Your system drive is the xp pro 32 drive, so first you will have to change
the boot order so the x64 drive is first in the order.
You should then boot directly to x64 based on the boot.ini
Your system will show the incorrect name in the boot.ini but will boot the
correct system.
You can change the name if you want by directly opening the boot.ini using
notepad or go thru system properties/advanced/startup and recovery. Either
way be careful.
When you have done all the above and everything is booting properly to x64
you can just reformat the x32 drive.
You can always change the boot order back if you make any mistakes prior to
reformatting.
Good luck.

"Pascal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Xp Pro 32 bit and X64 are each installed on seperate hard drives.
>
> Boot ini located on the drive where the XP 32 bit is installed reads as
> follows:
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=5
> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOW S
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windo ws XP Professional x64
> Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
>
> Boot ini located on the drive where the X64 is installed reads as
> follows:
>

> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP
> Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
>
> I wish to delete and reformat the drive where XP pro 32 bit is installed
> since I only want to use X64.
>
> How can I safely remove it without affecting my X64 installation?

Tony Sperling

Yes, good to have someone nearby who can actually remember the particulars.
But I would have the strangest feeling about having my primary system (the
only system, even) on an extended partition. Do you suppose it possible,
after reformating, to copy the system to the primary partition and give it
another name (label)? And then reformat the extended partition, after a few
days, when all looks safe and secure? After all, the MBR has not been
changed in any way, and shouldn't have to be, or?

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You need to copy your ntldr and ntdetect.com from your xp32 drive to the
> xp 64 drive
> Your system drive is the xp pro 32 drive, so first you will have to change
> the boot order so the x64 drive is first in the order.
> You should then boot directly to x64 based on the boot.ini
> Your system will show the incorrect name in the boot.ini but will boot the
> correct system.
> You can change the name if you want by directly opening the boot.ini using
> notepad or go thru system properties/advanced/startup and recovery.
> Either way be careful.
> When you have done all the above and everything is booting properly to x64
> you can just reformat the x32 drive.
> You can always change the boot order back if you make any mistakes prior
> to reformatting.
> Good luck.

=?Utf-8?B?UGFzY2Fs?=

Hello Tony, yes my X32 is on my C drive in a primary partition, and my X64 is
on a completely different hard drive D with it's own primary partition.

John's instructions seem to make sense to me, and I will try it.

"Tony Sperling" wrote:

> It depends a bit on how you first performed the set-up, and a bit on how you
> want the new set-up to appear. Are these installations sitting, each on
> their own Primary Partition - or, do you have 32bit on a C:\ Primary
> Partition and 64bit on D:\ (as an example) on a Extended Partition? The
> latter would adhere to the Windows default way of doing things, the former
> could be easier and safer to deal with. The answer will have impact on your
> options.
>
> Unfortunately, the only thing I can see from reading those files, is that
> you have both systems on the same physical disk, but then, I am no expert!
>
> If you have only one (1) Primary Partition you cannot delete it without
> losing the other!!!
>
> You should, however, be able to reformat, but you might not be able to
> easily reset the drive letters.
>

> Tony. . .
>

> "Pascal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Xp Pro 32 bit and X64 are each installed on seperate hard drives.
> >
> > Boot ini located on the drive where the XP 32 bit is installed reads as
> > follows:
> >
> > [boot loader]
> > timeout=5
> > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOW S
> > [operating systems]
> > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windo ws XP Professional x64
> > Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
> >
> > Boot ini located on the drive where the X64 is installed reads as
> > follows:
> >

> > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP
> > Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
> >
> > I wish to delete and reformat the drive where XP pro 32 bit is installed
> > since I only want to use X64.
> >
> > How can I safely remove it without affecting my X64 installation?

=?Utf-8?B?UGFzY2Fs?=

Thank you for the information John,

I was want to mention however that I do also have a NETDETECT.com file and a
ntldr file on my D drive(primary prtition) where X64 is located. Thefore are
you saying that I need to overwrite them by taking the NETDETECT.com file and
a ntldr file on my C drive X 32 (primary partition) and overwriting the ones
currently on the D drive X64?

Thanking you in advance for your feedback

Pascal

"John Barnes" wrote:

> You need to copy your ntldr and ntdetect.com from your xp32 drive to the xp
> 64 drive
> Your system drive is the xp pro 32 drive, so first you will have to change
> the boot order so the x64 drive is first in the order.
> You should then boot directly to x64 based on the boot.ini
> Your system will show the incorrect name in the boot.ini but will boot the
> correct system.
> You can change the name if you want by directly opening the boot.ini using
> notepad or go thru system properties/advanced/startup and recovery. Either
> way be careful.
> When you have done all the above and everything is booting properly to x64
> you can just reformat the x32 drive.
> You can always change the boot order back if you make any mistakes prior to
> reformatting.
> Good luck.
>

> "Pascal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Xp Pro 32 bit and X64 are each installed on seperate hard drives.
> >
> > Boot ini located on the drive where the XP 32 bit is installed reads as
> > follows:
> >
> > [boot loader]
> > timeout=5
> > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOW S
> > [operating systems]
> > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windo ws XP Professional x64
> > Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
> >
> > Boot ini located on the drive where the X64 is installed reads as
> > follows:
> >

> > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP
> > Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
> >
> > I wish to delete and reformat the drive where XP pro 32 bit is installed
> > since I only want to use X64.
> >
> > How can I safely remove it without affecting my X64 installation?

Tony Sperling

Wise move! And generally, having a Primary Partition for each system makes
everything so much easier.

Tony. . .

"Pascal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello Tony, yes my X32 is on my C drive in a primary partition, and my X64

is
> on a completely different hard drive D with it's own primary partition.
>
> John's instructions seem to make sense to me, and I will try it.
>

> "Tony Sperling" wrote:
>
> > It depends a bit on how you first performed the set-up, and a bit on how

you
> > want the new set-up to appear. Are these installations sitting, each on
> > their own Primary Partition - or, do you have 32bit on a C:\ Primary
> > Partition and 64bit on D:\ (as an example) on a Extended Partition? The
> > latter would adhere to the Windows default way of doing things, the

former
> > could be easier and safer to deal with. The answer will have impact on

your
> > options.
> >
> > Unfortunately, the only thing I can see from reading those files, is

that
> > you have both systems on the same physical disk, but then, I am no

expert!

> > If you have only one (1) Primary Partition you cannot delete it without
> > losing the other!!!
> >
> > You should, however, be able to reformat, but you might not be able to
> > easily reset the drive letters.
> >

> > Tony. . .
> >

> > "Pascal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Xp Pro 32 bit and X64 are each installed on seperate hard drives.
> > >
> > > Boot ini located on the drive where the XP 32 bit is installed reads

as
> > > follows:
> > >
> > > [boot loader]
> > > timeout=5
> > > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOW S
> > > [operating systems]
> > > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windo ws XP Professional

x64
> > > Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
> > >
> > > Boot ini located on the drive where the X64 is installed reads as
> > > follows:
> > >

> > > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP
> > > Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
> > >
> > > I wish to delete and reformat the drive where XP pro 32 bit is

installed
> > > since I only want to use X64.
> > >
> > > How can I safely remove it without affecting my X64 installation?

John Barnes

Yes. Since you are able to boot to both systems from your C drive files,
they are the ones installed by x64 and are the most recent. You could, if
you are uncomfortable about overwriting them, just make a new folder on your
D drive and move the two files into it before moving the ones from the C
drive.

"Pascal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thank you for the information John,
>
> I was want to mention however that I do also have a NETDETECT.com file and
> ntldr file on my D drive(primary prtition) where X64 is located. Thefore
> are
> you saying that I need to overwrite them by taking the NETDETECT.com file
> and
> a ntldr file on my C drive X 32 (primary partition) and overwriting the
> ones
> currently on the D drive X64?
>
> Thanking you in advance for your feedback
>
> Pascal
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> You need to copy your ntldr and ntdetect.com from your xp32 drive to the
>> xp
>> 64 drive
>> Your system drive is the xp pro 32 drive, so first you will have to
>> change
>> the boot order so the x64 drive is first in the order.
>> You should then boot directly to x64 based on the boot.ini
>> Your system will show the incorrect name in the boot.ini but will boot
>> the
>> correct system.
>> You can change the name if you want by directly opening the boot.ini
>> using
>> notepad or go thru system properties/advanced/startup and recovery.
>> Either
>> way be careful.
>> When you have done all the above and everything is booting properly to
>> x64
>> you can just reformat the x32 drive.
>> You can always change the boot order back if you make any mistakes prior
>> reformatting.
>> Good luck.
>>

>> "Pascal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Xp Pro 32 bit and X64 are each installed on seperate hard drives.
>> >
>> > Boot ini located on the drive where the XP 32 bit is installed reads
>> > as
>> > follows:
>> >
>> > [boot loader]
>> > timeout=5
>> > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOW S
>> > [operating systems]
>> > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windo ws XP Professional
>> > x64
>> > Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
>> >
>> > Boot ini located on the drive where the X64 is installed reads as
>> > follows:
>> >

>> > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP
>> > Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
>> >
>> > I wish to delete and reformat the drive where XP pro 32 bit is
>> > installed
>> > since I only want to use X64.
>> >
>> > How can I safely remove it without affecting my X64 installation?

=?Utf-8?B?UGFzY2Fs?=

Thank you John it worked like a charm! My system is now running only on X64!

Thank you for your instructions!

"John Barnes" wrote:

> Yes. Since you are able to boot to both systems from your C drive files,
> they are the ones installed by x64 and are the most recent. You could, if
> you are uncomfortable about overwriting them, just make a new folder on your
> D drive and move the two files into it before moving the ones from the C
> drive.
>

> "Pascal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thank you for the information John,
> >
> > I was want to mention however that I do also have a NETDETECT.com file and
> > ntldr file on my D drive(primary prtition) where X64 is located. Thefore
> > are
> > you saying that I need to overwrite them by taking the NETDETECT.com file
> > and
> > a ntldr file on my C drive X 32 (primary partition) and overwriting the
> > ones
> > currently on the D drive X64?
> >
> > Thanking you in advance for your feedback
> >
> > Pascal
> >
> > "John Barnes" wrote:
> >
> >> You need to copy your ntldr and ntdetect.com from your xp32 drive to the
> >> xp
> >> 64 drive
> >> Your system drive is the xp pro 32 drive, so first you will have to
> >> change
> >> the boot order so the x64 drive is first in the order.
> >> You should then boot directly to x64 based on the boot.ini
> >> Your system will show the incorrect name in the boot.ini but will boot
> >> the
> >> correct system.
> >> You can change the name if you want by directly opening the boot.ini
> >> using
> >> notepad or go thru system properties/advanced/startup and recovery.
> >> Either
> >> way be careful.
> >> When you have done all the above and everything is booting properly to
> >> x64
> >> you can just reformat the x32 drive.
> >> You can always change the boot order back if you make any mistakes prior
> >> reformatting.
> >> Good luck.
> >>

> >> "Pascal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

John Barnes

Thank you for reporting back.