Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > x64 Freeze..

x64 Freeze..

=?Utf-8?B?T2RlZA==?=

Hello,
First of all, thanks everyone for the quick reply about the tweakui and
power toys - much better now!
But! I got this new machine a few days ago and installed x64 on it and at an
average of once a day it freezes on me. it can be during anything - emailing,
whatever..
The problem is that i never ran anything else on this machine so i cant
really say if its the OS or what...
This is some serious freezing though - complete, no ctrl+alt+del, no nothing..
I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas, or experienced similar things?
the specs: Pentium 4 3.4, Asus motherboard, 1gb ram, nvidia 7800gtx, sata hd..
I'm actually considering installing win xp 32 just to see if it happens
there as well...

any thoughts would be appriciated!

/Oded

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

When you say never ran anything, would that include any possibly device
driver updates for Windows XP x64?
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Oded" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
> First of all, thanks everyone for the quick reply about the tweakui and
> power toys - much better now!
> But! I got this new machine a few days ago and installed x64 on it and at
> an
> average of once a day it freezes on me. it can be during anything -
> emailing,
> whatever..
> The problem is that i never ran anything else on this machine so i cant
> really say if its the OS or what...
> This is some serious freezing though - complete, no ctrl+alt+del, no
> nothing..
> I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas, or experienced similar things?
> the specs: Pentium 4 3.4, Asus motherboard, 1gb ram, nvidia 7800gtx, sata
> hd..
> I'm actually considering installing win xp 32 just to see if it happens
> there as well...
>
> any thoughts would be appriciated!
>
> /Oded

Charlie Russel - MVP

First place to look to see if it's hardware is RAM. RAM can be a subtle
problem that doesn't always show up the same in x64 as it does in x86. For
more on possible testers and solutions, see my blog:
http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2.../01/64999.aspx

Then, make sure you have the latest BIOS for your mobo -- ASUS tends to
update BIOS versions fairly often in the early days of a model.

Turn off ANY overclocking. And use the ASUS PCProbe utility to see if you're
getting too warm somewhere. It isn't perfect, but it will spot some things.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Oded wrote:
> Hello,
> First of all, thanks everyone for the quick reply about the tweakui and
> power toys - much better now!
> But! I got this new machine a few days ago and installed x64 on it and at
> an average of once a day it freezes on me. it can be during anything -
> emailing, whatever..
> The problem is that i never ran anything else on this machine so i cant
> really say if its the OS or what...
> This is some serious freezing though - complete, no ctrl+alt+del, no
> nothing.. I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas, or experienced similar
> things?
> the specs: Pentium 4 3.4, Asus motherboard, 1gb ram, nvidia 7800gtx, sata
> hd.. I'm actually considering installing win xp 32 just to see if it
> happens
> there as well...
>
> any thoughts would be appriciated!
>
> /Oded

Mercury

Sounds like a hardware issue to me since Windows will BSOD given a chance
and tell you what is wrong if it were software or some hardware issues.

Try running memtest86 to verify RAM is OK - overnight is a good idea. 1 or
more errors indicate that you either have faulty RAM, or RAM timing
setttings in BIOS, incompatible RAM etc. Do not expect any OS to work if you
get RAM Errors.

Try a Knoppix or BartPE CD to eliminate other sources EG HDD, cables, etc.

news:%233$(E-Mail Removed)...
> When you say never ran anything, would that include any possibly device
> driver updates for Windows XP x64?
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "Oded" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello,
>> First of all, thanks everyone for the quick reply about the tweakui and
>> power toys - much better now!
>> But! I got this new machine a few days ago and installed x64 on it and at
>> an
>> average of once a day it freezes on me. it can be during anything -
>> emailing,
>> whatever..
>> The problem is that i never ran anything else on this machine so i cant
>> really say if its the OS or what...
>> This is some serious freezing though - complete, no ctrl+alt+del, no
>> nothing..
>> I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas, or experienced similar things?
>> the specs: Pentium 4 3.4, Asus motherboard, 1gb ram, nvidia 7800gtx, sata
>> hd..
>> I'm actually considering installing win xp 32 just to see if it happens
>> there as well...
>>
>> any thoughts would be appriciated!
>>
>> /Oded

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyYXRvbm1hbm5lbg==?=

I experience the same problem with my x64. But it is more than once a day. It
is more like random freezes. It could be 5 minutes between or several hours.
It freezes for about 7-10 seconds.
I have Vista x64 on the same computer (= exactly same hardware), but another
partition. Vista never freeze.
I have done new installs after formating, but no change.

--

Asus P5WD2 Premium (955X Express)
P4 3.73 GHz EE

"Oded" wrote:

> Hello,
> First of all, thanks everyone for the quick reply about the tweakui and
> power toys - much better now!
> But! I got this new machine a few days ago and installed x64 on it and at an
> average of once a day it freezes on me. it can be during anything - emailing,
> whatever..
> The problem is that i never ran anything else on this machine so i cant
> really say if its the OS or what...
> This is some serious freezing though - complete, no ctrl+alt+del, no nothing..
> I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas, or experienced similar things?
> the specs: Pentium 4 3.4, Asus motherboard, 1gb ram, nvidia 7800gtx, sata hd..
> I'm actually considering installing win xp 32 just to see if it happens
> there as well...
>
> any thoughts would be appriciated!
>
> /Oded

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

I would also take a look at the Event Viewer.
Some useful data might be collected from there.
Carlos

"Oded" wrote:

> Hello,
> First of all, thanks everyone for the quick reply about the tweakui and
> power toys - much better now!
> But! I got this new machine a few days ago and installed x64 on it and at an
> average of once a day it freezes on me. it can be during anything - emailing,
> whatever..
> The problem is that i never ran anything else on this machine so i cant
> really say if its the OS or what...
> This is some serious freezing though - complete, no ctrl+alt+del, no nothing..
> I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas, or experienced similar things?
> the specs: Pentium 4 3.4, Asus motherboard, 1gb ram, nvidia 7800gtx, sata hd..
> I'm actually considering installing win xp 32 just to see if it happens
> there as well...
>
> any thoughts would be appriciated!
>
> /Oded

=?Utf-8?B?T2RlZA==?=

Thanks for the ideas everyone.
I am sorry report that i am still at a loss - the ram seems to be ok
according to MS RAM test, and the rest pretty much checks out too - although
i wasn't able to run PCProbe (i suspect it doesnt support x64 just yet).. As
for changes in drivers - I installed x64 about 3 days ago - ALL I've been
doing is changing drivers..
well, i guess i'll just see how it goes and if it gets worse perhaps me and
the x64 will part ways for a little while..

"Mercury" wrote:

> Sounds like a hardware issue to me since Windows will BSOD given a chance
> and tell you what is wrong if it were software or some hardware issues.
>
> Try running memtest86 to verify RAM is OK - overnight is a good idea. 1 or
> more errors indicate that you either have faulty RAM, or RAM timing
> setttings in BIOS, incompatible RAM etc. Do not expect any OS to work if you
> get RAM Errors.
>
> Try a Knoppix or BartPE CD to eliminate other sources EG HDD, cables, etc.

> news:%233$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > When you say never ran anything, would that include any possibly device
> > driver updates for Windows XP x64?
> > --
> > Andre
> >
> > "Oded" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Hello,
> >> First of all, thanks everyone for the quick reply about the tweakui and
> >> power toys - much better now!
> >> But! I got this new machine a few days ago and installed x64 on it and at
> >> an
> >> average of once a day it freezes on me. it can be during anything -
> >> emailing,
> >> whatever..
> >> The problem is that i never ran anything else on this machine so i cant
> >> really say if its the OS or what...
> >> This is some serious freezing though - complete, no ctrl+alt+del, no
> >> nothing..
> >> I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas, or experienced similar things?
> >> the specs: Pentium 4 3.4, Asus motherboard, 1gb ram, nvidia 7800gtx, sata
> >> hd..
> >> I'm actually considering installing win xp 32 just to see if it happens
> >> there as well...
> >>
> >> any thoughts would be appriciated!
> >>
> >> /Oded

Tony Sperling

When you 'change drivers', do you take proper care and remove the previous
driver first, or just re-install on top? The Graphics Card is very new -
nVidia issues new drivers all the time, check that you have the latest until
it calms down.

Tony. . .

"Oded" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the ideas everyone.
> I am sorry report that i am still at a loss - the ram seems to be ok
> according to MS RAM test, and the rest pretty much checks out too -
> although
> i wasn't able to run PCProbe (i suspect it doesnt support x64 just yet)..
> As
> for changes in drivers - I installed x64 about 3 days ago - ALL I've been
> doing is changing drivers..
> well, i guess i'll just see how it goes and if it gets worse perhaps me
> and
> the x64 will part ways for a little while..

Will

Sounds about right, my system often freezes if I overclock it too far.

Very unlikely the OS is to blame (providing all the latest drivers & bios
installed) and more likely hardware.

Might also be worth checking out any other connected devices such as USB as
the potential cause.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> First place to look to see if it's hardware is RAM. RAM can be a subtle
> problem that doesn't always show up the same in x64 as it does in x86. For
> more on possible testers and solutions, see my blog:
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2.../01/64999.aspx
>
> Then, make sure you have the latest BIOS for your mobo -- ASUS tends to
> update BIOS versions fairly often in the early days of a model.
>
> Turn off ANY overclocking. And use the ASUS PCProbe utility to see if
> you're getting too warm somewhere. It isn't perfect, but it will spot some
> things.
>

> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Oded wrote:
>> Hello,
>> First of all, thanks everyone for the quick reply about the tweakui and
>> power toys - much better now!
>> But! I got this new machine a few days ago and installed x64 on it and at
>> an average of once a day it freezes on me. it can be during anything -
>> emailing, whatever..
>> The problem is that i never ran anything else on this machine so i cant
>> really say if its the OS or what...
>> This is some serious freezing though - complete, no ctrl+alt+del, no
>> nothing.. I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas, or experienced similar
>> things?
>> the specs: Pentium 4 3.4, Asus motherboard, 1gb ram, nvidia 7800gtx, sata
>> hd.. I'm actually considering installing win xp 32 just to see if it
>> happens
>> there as well...
>>
>> any thoughts would be appriciated!
>>
>> /Oded

Colin Barnhorst

Asus PCProbe runs fine on my x64 machine.