Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows Firewall vs Nvidia Firewall

Windows Firewall vs Nvidia Firewall

=?Utf-8?B?U3dhbm5pZQ==?=

Which is the best to use, or do i use both?

M. Murcek

Did nVidia firewall ever get fixed? It was the source of beaucoup problems
(for x64 Edition users) a while back...

"Swannie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Which is the best to use, or do i use both?

=?Utf-8?B?U3dhbm5pZQ==?=

I also had problems while using it, thought it was just my stupidity.
Thanx

"M. Murcek" wrote:

> Did nVidia firewall ever get fixed? It was the source of beaucoup problems
> (for x64 Edition users) a while back...
>
> "Swannie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Which is the best to use, or do i use both?

Colin Barnhorst

Windows firewall. The nVidia firewall has been a pain point and is
extensively referenced in this ng. Do a search here on "nvidia firewall"
(using the Find button in your tool bar at the top of OE) between the dates
11/1/2005 and 11/23/2005 and you will see what I mean by "extensively". The
biggest issue has been loss of internet connectivity.

"Swannie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Which is the best to use, or do i use both?

M. Murcek

No problem, Swannie. I'm using Windows firewall, Microsoft AntiSpyware beta
(32 bit) and eTrust Antivirus (64 bit) and I've had no problems. Also, I'm
sitting behind an ancient (4 years old) firewall appliance. So far, so good
(though the firewall appliance will have to be replaced as IP v6 becomes
more prevalent) Some posters here have been having good luck with
TinyPersonalFirewall 64 bit version. It was in beta a while back, I haven't
checked lately to see if it's gone gold yet...

"Swannie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I also had problems while using it, thought it was just my stupidity.
> Thanx
>
> "M. Murcek" wrote:
>
>> Did nVidia firewall ever get fixed? It was the source of beaucoup
>> problems
>> (for x64 Edition users) a while back...
>>
>> "Swannie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Which is the best to use, or do i use both?

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

The Windows Firewall, I would say is the best choice, its easy to configure
and very much improved since it was upgraded after SP2 for XP x86 so its not
the same firewall that was in the initial release. nVidia Firewall just a
PITA.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Swannie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Which is the best to use, or do i use both?

Charlie Russel - MVP

Don't use both (that's a general rule, one firewall per machine, please.)
And don't use the Nvidia firewall. It's a POS that has been nothing but
trouble for x64 users.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Swannie wrote:
> Which is the best to use, or do i use both?

=?Utf-8?B?U3dhbm5pZQ==?=

loss of internet connectivity: My findings exactly.
Thanx ppl

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Windows firewall. The nVidia firewall has been a pain point and is
> extensively referenced in this ng. Do a search here on "nvidia firewall"
> (using the Find button in your tool bar at the top of OE) between the dates
> 11/1/2005 and 11/23/2005 and you will see what I mean by "extensively". The
> biggest issue has been loss of internet connectivity.

> "Swannie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Which is the best to use, or do i use both?

Charlie Russel - MVP

As has been posted repeatedly:
Known problem:
Unfortunately, the built in nVidia firewall product appears to install at
least some portion of itself even if you've never chosen to install it. And
this appears to interfere with 32-bit programs. The solution is to install
the firewall program if it isn't already installed, and then uninstall it.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Swannie wrote:
> loss of internet connectivity: My findings exactly.
> Thanx ppl
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> Windows firewall. The nVidia firewall has been a pain point and is
>> extensively referenced in this ng. Do a search here on "nvidia firewall"
>> (using the Find button in your tool bar at the top of OE) between the
>> dates 11/1/2005 and 11/23/2005 and you will see what I mean by
>> "extensively". The biggest issue has been loss of internet connectivity.
>>
>> --
>> "Swannie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Which is the best to use, or do i use both?

Dennis Pack

Charlie:

When I retired my FX51 processor and board due to video card
issues and converted the system to another A8N-E with a 4400x2 processor. I'm
saving it to build a server when I get time to learn how. I had to install
the NF4 drivers instead of the NF3 drivers. On the x86 and x64 partitions I
installed the 6.69 and 6.70 drivers with the firewall, made the modification
to the Active armor that was posted earlier but don't remember when or by
whom in the x86 partition, Active armor wasn't listed separately in the x64
firewall. Since then I added raid drives (mirrored) to run x64 only with the
same drivers. Currently I'm running a triple boot system, x86, x64 and x64
raid with the Nvidia firewall installed. Now I get an "allow" pop-up when a
new program needs access and no problems with IE or downloads in 3 weeks.
Since then I added the Nvidia firewall to my other 4400x2 system with the
same configuration with no problems.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...