Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > dual boot problems x64, xp

dual boot problems x64, xp

John Barnes

There is an option on the extended startup screen (F to not automatically
restart and you should be able to get the crash codes you need to try to
solve it. You say you reinstalled x64. Did you install it over the first
install, do a repair install or what procedure did you do. Is the data you
are trying to recover on the same partition?

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>i reinstalled x64 but now after I choose to boot the x64 OS from the
> selection screen, it just restarts. I can't start x64 in safe mode
> either, it also just restarts. Format??? Start over???? Will if I
> have to, but would like to exhaust all other possibilities. However,
> during the install it asked for a file from the mobo disk, and when I
> choose browse, the "missing" drives were listed, and all data seemed
> intact.

abates98@comcast.net

I have two seperate issues. First the x64 os issure, which I did a
repair install btw, and still does not work. I have been really busy
and just threw xp home on a seperate hd as a temporary solution till I
get more time to fix it. The second issue is that xp home does not see
the two SATA II drives. no raid. I did read recently that there may
be an issue with xp home and SATA II drives, anyone else read anything
about that?

Mercury

Yes. "Last Known Good" - press F8 at the very start of Windows load to go to
the F8 menu.

Sounds to me like the drive was confirgured as RAID, but not used as RAID -
did you install drivers using F6 originally? Have you upgraded the BIOS or
had a fiddle in their and perhaps turned off the RAID...

You can check the stop code causing the reboots by choosing an option in the
F8 menu - something like 'disable auto restart on failure'. If you do this,
let us know the stop code and the other data on the same line.

Backups! Write your music and data files to DVD!

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> also, is it possible to rollback drivers in x64, from xp home?

Mercury

Swap out the nvidia card for a PCI graphics card as a test... this ill
remove the firmware issue as a factor...

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> the reason for diong that is so i don't lose all my data......... The
> computer ran fine fro several months and I have reason to believe that
> it could have been the nvidia firmware that screwed up in the first
> place. If I can rollback that update it would rule that out as a
> possibility. I updated three things at once stupidly and not sure
> where the problem lies, and which triggered the f-up.

abates98@comcast.net

This is the error message I get when trying to start x64

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xfffffadfc8c1d3c0 0xffffffffc0000034
0x0000000000000000 0x0000000000000000)

Charlie Russel - MVP

0x7B is inaccessible boot device. You need to install F6 drivers for your
boot hard drive. (Or, if you ARE installing them, and they are the wrong
ones, you need to NOT install them. I've seen that, too.)

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

> This is the error message I get when trying to start x64
>
> *** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xfffffadfc8c1d3c0 0xffffffffc0000034
> 0x0000000000000000 0x0000000000000000)

abates98@comcast.net

thank you for input but, the boot drive is an IDE drive. the SATA II
drives I dissconnected to eliminate them as a variable. This may be
dumb but do IDE drives ever need drivers?

Colin Barnhorst

No.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> thank you for input but, the boot drive is an IDE drive. the SATA II
> drives I dissconnected to eliminate them as a variable. This may be
> dumb but do IDE drives ever need drivers?

Charlie Russel - MVP

yes, if the controller is a RAID controller. Which a lot of mobos have these
days.

0x7b is inaccessible boot device. If you can load the system in text mode,
but then it blue screens at GUI, there's a problem with Plug and Play.

See my blogs on F6, please. Specifically:

For details on the different modes for storage driver load during setup, and
why you care:
http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2.../25/59560.aspx

For more on F6 and loading storage drivers:
http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2.../11/52162.aspx

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> thank you for input but, the boot drive is an IDE drive. the SATA II
> drives I dissconnected to eliminate them as a variable. This may be
> dumb but do IDE drives ever need drivers?

John Barnes

Not unless you are using RAID