Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > dual boot problems x64, xp

dual boot problems x64, xp

abates98@comcast.net

AMD 64 4000+
2 Gig mem
7800 GTX
K8NSLI
2 x 120 Gig IDE
2 x 160 Gig SATA

quick basic rundown. hey I have had x64 set up for several months and
mostly it has worked fine. my system recently crashed after I did a
win update and nvidia firmware. I get a blue screen o death with a ton
of stuff written on it but it goes away too fast to read any of it. I
decided to add an old install of xp (home) i had from an old computer
to do some diagnostic trials. The os are each installed on the IDE
drives. I think i can get the os problem figured out. My real issue
is that I can't get my two SATA drives to be work under the xp home
install. They are seen correctly in device manager but I cannot get
access to them. MY entire music and movie collections are on them and
I am curious as to why I can't get at them. In disk management they
are listed as disk 2 and 3 but they have ! on the icon and status is
listed as "foreign". any ideas?

Kim Stahnke

Were your Sata drives set up as Raid?

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> AMD 64 4000+
> 2 Gig mem
> 7800 GTX
> K8NSLI
> 2 x 120 Gig IDE
> 2 x 160 Gig SATA
>
> quick basic rundown. hey I have had x64 set up for several months and
> mostly it has worked fine. my system recently crashed after I did a
> win update and nvidia firmware. I get a blue screen o death with a ton
> of stuff written on it but it goes away too fast to read any of it. I
> decided to add an old install of xp (home) i had from an old computer
> to do some diagnostic trials. The os are each installed on the IDE
> drives. I think i can get the os problem figured out. My real issue
> is that I can't get my two SATA drives to be work under the xp home
> install. They are seen correctly in device manager but I cannot get
> access to them. MY entire music and movie collections are on them and
> I am curious as to why I can't get at them. In disk management they
> are listed as disk 2 and 3 but they have ! on the icon and status is
> listed as "foreign". any ideas?

Charlie Russel - MVP

Ah. The clue is "foreign" -- you have them configured as RAID at some point,
either at the OS level, or at the hardware level. If it's at the hardware
level, you should be able to load the XP drivers for your RAID and then the
drives will be seen. If it's at the OS level, XP Home doesn't support
striping -- you'll need at least XP Pro for that.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

> AMD 64 4000+
> 2 Gig mem
> 7800 GTX
> K8NSLI
> 2 x 120 Gig IDE
> 2 x 160 Gig SATA
>
> quick basic rundown. hey I have had x64 set up for several months and
> mostly it has worked fine. my system recently crashed after I did a
> win update and nvidia firmware. I get a blue screen o death with a ton
> of stuff written on it but it goes away too fast to read any of it. I
> decided to add an old install of xp (home) i had from an old computer
> to do some diagnostic trials. The os are each installed on the IDE
> drives. I think i can get the os problem figured out. My real issue
> is that I can't get my two SATA drives to be work under the xp home
> install. They are seen correctly in device manager but I cannot get
> access to them. MY entire music and movie collections are on them and
> I am curious as to why I can't get at them. In disk management they
> are listed as disk 2 and 3 but they have ! on the icon and status is
> listed as "foreign". any ideas?

abates98@comcast.net

no the drives are not currently raid. I will check that some option is
not set to see them as raid however. I haven't changed anything in the
bios, so where are there options for xp to see them as one or the
other? Somthing I missed during install?

Kim Stahnke

To get back to your original problem, maybe you should install the original
x64 to get yout data back. Try to install it the same way you did the first
time.
If you had not installed another os on the drive you might have saved your
x64 system with some (i cannot remember the manufacturer but there are some
that can do this) 3rd party sw that can take you back to an earlier restore
point before the fatal update.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> no the drives are not currently raid. I will check that some option is
> not set to see them as raid however. I haven't changed anything in the
> bios, so where are there options for xp to see them as one or the
> other? Somthing I missed during install?

abates98@comcast.net

i reinstalled x64 but now after I choose to boot the x64 OS from the
selection screen, it just restarts. I can't start x64 in safe mode
either, it also just restarts. Format??? Start over???? Will if I
have to, but would like to exhaust all other possibilities. However,
during the install it asked for a file from the mobo disk, and when I
choose browse, the "missing" drives were listed, and all data seemed
intact.

abates98@comcast.net

also, is it possible to rollback drivers in x64, from xp home?

Colin Barnhorst

I think I would start over.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>i reinstalled x64 but now after I choose to boot the x64 OS from the
> selection screen, it just restarts. I can't start x64 in safe mode
> either, it also just restarts. Format??? Start over???? Will if I
> have to, but would like to exhaust all other possibilities. However,
> during the install it asked for a file from the mobo disk, and when I
> choose browse, the "missing" drives were listed, and all data seemed
> intact.

Colin Barnhorst

What is your plan for doing that?

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> also, is it possible to rollback drivers in x64, from xp home?

abates98@comcast.net

the reason for diong that is so i don't lose all my data......... The
computer ran fine fro several months and I have reason to believe that
it could have been the nvidia firmware that screwed up in the first
place. If I can rollback that update it would rule that out as a
possibility. I updated three things at once stupidly and not sure
where the problem lies, and which triggered the f-up.