Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Recommendations on Good x64 Notebooks

Recommendations on Good x64 Notebooks

=?Utf-8?B?Um9i?=

Hi,

I just read Barb Bowman's article on her experiences with Windows XP
Professional x64 on the Acer Ferrari 4000. That looks like a good notebook,
but the price is a bit out of my budget. Does anyone have suggestions for
other notbooks to consider that run Windows XP Pro x64?

Thanks.

M. Murcek

Compaq R, V and M series Presarios are available with Athlon 64 or Turion 64
processors, but you are still on your own for finding drivers. Systemax
also makes 64 bit notebooks, but again, you'll have to go on a driver safari
as most everyone here has. Alienware and Voodoo also make 64 bit notebooks,
but the prices are up past the sky...

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I just read Barb Bowman's article on her experiences with Windows XP
> Professional x64 on the Acer Ferrari 4000. That looks like a good
> notebook,
> but the price is a bit out of my budget. Does anyone have suggestions for
> other notbooks to consider that run Windows XP Pro x64?
>
> Thanks.

Charlie Russel - MVP

There's at least one other Acer model that is x64 capable, and a good deal
cheaper. But none as nice as the Ferrari 4005. There are HP/Compaq models as
well, though I don't have any experience with them.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Rob wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just read Barb Bowman's article on her experiences with Windows XP
> Professional x64 on the Acer Ferrari 4000. That looks like a good
> notebook, but the price is a bit out of my budget. Does anyone have
> suggestions for other notbooks to consider that run Windows XP Pro x64?
>
> Thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?Qmx1ZVRvb3Ro?=

I have been running X64 pretty successfully on a Compaq Presario R3000Z
(Athlon 3700+) for a year. All the drivers were not immediately available at
the start, but I now have sound, Bluetooth and a video driver which will
allow the machine to hibernate and return from hibernation without a problem.
Most of my drivers were found on PlanetAMD64. The model I have has been
superceded by the R4000 series. My machine has an Nvidia display adapter and
the newer R4000 series has ATI. Don't know what kind of success people are
having with locating an ATI driver.

I am well pleased with the Compaq and the lower end Athlon/Turion/Sempron
models should offer significant savings over a Ferrari.

"Rob" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just read Barb Bowman's article on her experiences with Windows XP
> Professional x64 on the Acer Ferrari 4000. That looks like a good notebook,
> but the price is a bit out of my budget. Does anyone have suggestions for
> other notbooks to consider that run Windows XP Pro x64?
>
> Thanks.

Tony Sperling

My HP Pavillion zv5000 has one serious draw-back, the flimsy CD/DVD drawer.
Otherwise, it is awsome. Full equipment at an extremely reasonable prize. I
like it - period.

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I just read Barb Bowman's article on her experiences with Windows XP
> Professional x64 on the Acer Ferrari 4000. That looks like a good
> notebook,
> but the price is a bit out of my budget. Does anyone have suggestions for
> other notbooks to consider that run Windows XP Pro x64?
>
> Thanks.

M. Murcek

I'm using a zv5000z also, and other than being heavy, the only remaining
beef that I have is that there's no driver for the ALPS touchpad (Synaptics
has been an early and excellent supporter of their touchpad products under
x64 Edition) I'd love to have the scroll strip on the touchpad working, but
I doubt I'll ever see it. I sure won't buy anything with ALPS touchpad
integrated in it anymore...

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My HP Pavillion zv5000 has one serious draw-back, the flimsy CD/DVD
> drawer. Otherwise, it is awsome. Full equipment at an extremely reasonable
> prize. I like it - period.
>

> Tony. . .
>

> "Rob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just read Barb Bowman's article on her experiences with Windows XP
>> Professional x64 on the Acer Ferrari 4000. That looks like a good
>> notebook,
>> but the price is a bit out of my budget. Does anyone have suggestions for
>> other notbooks to consider that run Windows XP Pro x64?
>>
>> Thanks.

Colin Barnhorst

My wife has a Compaq 4025US that I am impressed with.

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> There's at least one other Acer model that is x64 capable, and a good deal
> cheaper. But none as nice as the Ferrari 4005. There are HP/Compaq models
> as well, though I don't have any experience with them.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Rob wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just read Barb Bowman's article on her experiences with Windows XP
>> Professional x64 on the Acer Ferrari 4000. That looks like a good
>> notebook, but the price is a bit out of my budget. Does anyone have
>> suggestions for other notbooks to consider that run Windows XP Pro x64?
>>
>> Thanks.

Tony Sperling

Yes, I entirely agree, but such things, you tend to learn how to cope with.
The CD Drive is somewhat different, I break out a sweat every time I have to
use it - I must have been driving too many Italian cars - but in all
honesty, it does hold together, and it boots anything but CD -RW's burned on
my Desktop.

A bit heavy indeed, and not a lot of battery time either, but it's
plugged-in most of the time since my workdesk creates a resonance chamber
that amplifies all sound from my otherwise reasonably quite machine right
into the bedroom, so I need to find a quite spot at night.

On the other hand the HP Windows Home version that came in the package,
surprised me greatly by it's quality, so if they see it fit to collect their
stuff and issue a 64bit version of our favorite OS, that would straighten
out even those couple of wrinkles, I guess. (Funny thing though - the Linux
folks are actually using the Synaptics driver to give it most of it's
functionality!)

Tony. . .

"M. Murcek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e08bG%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm using a zv5000z also, and other than being heavy, the only remaining
> beef that I have is that there's no driver for the ALPS touchpad

(Synaptics
> has been an early and excellent supporter of their touchpad products under
> x64 Edition) I'd love to have the scroll strip on the touchpad working,

but
> I doubt I'll ever see it. I sure won't buy anything with ALPS touchpad
> integrated in it anymore...

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > My HP Pavillion zv5000 has one serious draw-back, the flimsy CD/DVD
> > drawer. Otherwise, it is awsome. Full equipment at an extremely

reasonable
> > prize. I like it - period.
> >

> > Tony. . .
> >

> > "Rob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I just read Barb Bowman's article on her experiences with Windows XP
> >> Professional x64 on the Acer Ferrari 4000. That looks like a good
> >> notebook,
> >> but the price is a bit out of my budget. Does anyone have suggestions

for
> >> other notbooks to consider that run Windows XP Pro x64?
> >>
> >> Thanks.

Randy

Geeks.com often sells refurbed Turion (1.6GHz) laptops (HP, Compaq) for
$650-$700; less if by auction. They also sell dual-core (Pentium D)
"debranded" desktops for around $500. TigerDirect sells Turion laptops new
for ca. $1,000 (as does Geeks). I can't vouch for any of those systems
specifically... but they should all run x64 Windows nicely. I have been
happy with a pair of laptops (and more) I bought from Geeks.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I just read Barb Bowman's article on her experiences with Windows XP
> Professional x64 on the Acer Ferrari 4000. That looks like a good

notebook,
> but the price is a bit out of my budget. Does anyone have suggestions for
> other notbooks to consider that run Windows XP Pro x64?
>
> Thanks.

PJB

I am a reseller of ASUS products in NZ. I have an ASUS A6K widescreen
notebook, MT34, 1mB Ram, 100Gb HDD, wireless, camera, DVD D/L which I
installed x64 on and I am using with great success. Retails here for
NZ$2300.

Peter Banks
Wn, New Zealand.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...