Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Benchmark: XP32 vs XP64 - Is there really any benefit to x64 yet?

Benchmark: XP32 vs XP64 - Is there really any benefit to x64 yet?

Will

Hi,

I've run a 3D benchmark on my PC, first with XP 32 and then with x64. I used
3DMark 2005 to run the test.

The overall scores are as follows

Windows XP 32: 5630
Windows XP 64: 5525

I was shocked that the performance is acctually worse on x64.

So this has left me scratching my head thinking what are the real benefits
of XP x64? Yes, we can stick in tons of RAM but I'm quite happy with my 2GB.

How long will it be before developers other than MSFT start writing 64bit
code? 18 months - longer?

Are we running Windows XP 64 just for the sake of it?

Will

McGrandpa

"Will" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43805865$0$203$(E-Mail Removed) ews.com...
> Hi,
>
> I've run a 3D benchmark on my PC, first with XP 32 and then with x64. I
> used 3DMark 2005 to run the test.
>
> The overall scores are as follows
>
> Windows XP 32: 5630
> Windows XP 64: 5525
>

> I was shocked that the performance is acctually worse on x64.
>
> So this has left me scratching my head thinking what are the real benefits
> of XP x64? Yes, we can stick in tons of RAM but I'm quite happy with my
> 2GB.
>
> How long will it be before developers other than MSFT start writing 64bit
> code? 18 months - longer?
>

> Are we running Windows XP 64 just for the sake of it?
>

> Will

Yaknow, I tried the same thing you did there. And for my expectations, I
was very disappointed... in Futuremarks software. I'm running an A64 X2
4800+ in this machine, and in the old one I have a P4 3.0E (Prescott, 1m L2,
800 fsb). And it gets better 3DM05 scores than the X2 in XP Pro 32 bit.
Score in x64 is several hundred points less for the X2! Wonder why....
single core at 2.4gHz, HT is off, and it's 32 bit software. The X2 slaps
the P4 silly in everything I run. I think I will ignore those benchmarks
and just enjoy using one of the fastest CPU's on the planet.
McG.

Mark Gillespie

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 11:05:10 -0000, Will <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've run a 3D benchmark on my PC, first with XP 32 and then with x64. I
> used
> 3DMark 2005 to run the test.
>
> The overall scores are as follows
>
> Windows XP 32: 5630
> Windows XP 64: 5525
>

> I was shocked that the performance is acctually worse on x64.
>
> So this has left me scratching my head thinking what are the real
> benefits
> of XP x64? Yes, we can stick in tons of RAM but I'm quite happy with my
> 2GB.
>
> How long will it be before developers other than MSFT start writing 64bit
> code? 18 months - longer?
>

> Are we running Windows XP 64 just for the sake of it?
>

> Will

WOW64 must involve some overhead, so until your benchmark becomes 64bit,
and aware of the extra registers etc, it's going to be marginally slower.

Will

"Mark Gillespie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsp.s0jfg606j2q9yy@xpdesktop64...
> On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 11:05:10 -0000, Will <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've run a 3D benchmark on my PC, first with XP 32 and then with x64. I
>> used
>> 3DMark 2005 to run the test.
>>
>> The overall scores are as follows
>>
>> Windows XP 32: 5630
>> Windows XP 64: 5525
>>

>> I was shocked that the performance is acctually worse on x64.
>>
>> So this has left me scratching my head thinking what are the real
>> benefits
>> of XP x64? Yes, we can stick in tons of RAM but I'm quite happy with my
>> 2GB.
>>
>> How long will it be before developers other than MSFT start writing 64bit
>> code? 18 months - longer?
>>

>> Are we running Windows XP 64 just for the sake of it?
>>

>> Will
>>

> WOW64 must involve some overhead, so until your benchmark becomes 64bit,
> and aware of the extra registers etc, it's going to be marginally slower.

Hi Mark,

Sure, that makes sense.

So we should assume to expect lower performance on x64 in general for apps
which are not 64bit. At this time I'd say thats > 95% of apps.

So I think my point still stands - XP32 is faster (at least for now).

Will

Norman Brooks

In this case the benchmark (SiSoft) is a 64 bit program. At least it has
been COMPILED to run on a 64 bit processor. Whether the applets in the
software have been tweaked to take advantage of 64 bit processing is a
matter for smarter minds than mine ! I have a 3800+ with a X800 series video
card modded with an ATI Silencer 5 and a WD740 so as Will says, I will sit
back and enjoy one of the fastest machines around !

> WOW64 must involve some overhead, so until your benchmark becomes 64bit,
> and aware of the extra registers etc, it's going to be marginally slower.

Will

"Norman Brooks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OvD$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In this case the benchmark (SiSoft) is a 64 bit program. At least it has
> been COMPILED to run on a 64 bit processor. Whether the applets in the
> software have been tweaked to take advantage of 64 bit processing is a
> matter for smarter minds than mine ! I have a 3800+ with a X800 series
> video card modded with an ATI Silencer 5 and a WD740 so as Will says, I
> will sit back and enjoy one of the fastest machines around !

Hey I didn't say that But i agree, nice to have a fast PC - I've just
ordered the XFX NVIDIA 7800 512mb so I'm hoping that will help to pump up
the 3D score.

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyYXRvbm1hbm5lbg==?=

With Gainward 7800GTX 256 MB I scored 8008 in 3DMarks 2005. Let me know if it
is worth to upgrade to a 512 MB.

http://web.telia.com/~u86514936/3DMark0305.PNG

--
Asus P5WD2 Premium (955X Express)
P4 3.73 GHz EE

"Will" wrote:

> "Norman Brooks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:OvD$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In this case the benchmark (SiSoft) is a 64 bit program. At least it has
> > been COMPILED to run on a 64 bit processor. Whether the applets in the
> > software have been tweaked to take advantage of 64 bit processing is a
> > matter for smarter minds than mine ! I have a 3800+ with a X800 series
> > video card modded with an ATI Silencer 5 and a WD740 so as Will says, I
> > will sit back and enjoy one of the fastest machines around !
> >

> Hey I didn't say that But i agree, nice to have a fast PC - I've just
> ordered the XFX NVIDIA 7800 512mb so I'm hoping that will help to pump up
> the 3D score.

Will

Sure thing, i will post the result. But you'll have to watch this thread as
it won't arrive until 28th november.

I expect (and hope) there to be a decent increase in performance from my
current 6800 Ultra.

Will

"Maratonmannen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> With Gainward 7800GTX 256 MB I scored 8008 in 3DMarks 2005. Let me know if
> it
> is worth to upgrade to a 512 MB.
>
> http://web.telia.com/~u86514936/3DMark0305.PNG
>
> --
> Asus P5WD2 Premium (955X Express)
> P4 3.73 GHz EE
> RAPTOR 2 x 74GB in RAID 0
> DDR2 PC8000 2GB
> GeForce 7800GTX
> Samsung 24" TFT
> Enermax 660W
> Plextor PX-712SA
>

> "Will" wrote:
>

>> "Norman Brooks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:OvD$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > In this case the benchmark (SiSoft) is a 64 bit program. At least it
>> > has
>> > been COMPILED to run on a 64 bit processor. Whether the applets in the
>> > software have been tweaked to take advantage of 64 bit processing is a
>> > matter for smarter minds than mine ! I have a 3800+ with a X800 series
>> > video card modded with an ATI Silencer 5 and a WD740 so as Will says, I
>> > will sit back and enjoy one of the fastest machines around !
>> >

>> Hey I didn't say that But i agree, nice to have a fast PC - I've
>> just
>> ordered the XFX NVIDIA 7800 512mb so I'm hoping that will help to pump up
>> the 3D score.

Charlie Russel - MVP

I'd have to say that it simply shows that benchmarks are interesting, but
don't reflect what I see on my machines. Not suprising. Now it's certainly
true that I don't think MS Word runs one bit faster in x64 Edition. But
then, I didn't expect it to. And since my overall machine seems to run
somewhat faster, I'm happy. As we see new applications that are native
64-bit, we'll see the whole thing shift. I'm not surprised that it's not
materially different yet (and I'd have to say that the scores are pretty
close) from a benchmark standpoint. It _is_ after all the same chip. And
there's not inherent reason we'd expect x64 to run significantly
differently. What will change, though, is as native apps take advantage of
the greater memory address space, more and bigger registers, and other
enhancements, we'll see significant speed improvements in those apps.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Will wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've run a 3D benchmark on my PC, first with XP 32 and then with x64. I
> used 3DMark 2005 to run the test.
>
> The overall scores are as follows
>
> Windows XP 32: 5630
> Windows XP 64: 5525
>

> I was shocked that the performance is acctually worse on x64.
>
> So this has left me scratching my head thinking what are the real benefits
> of XP x64? Yes, we can stick in tons of RAM but I'm quite happy with my
> 2GB.
> How long will it be before developers other than MSFT start writing 64bit
> code? 18 months - longer?
>

> Are we running Windows XP 64 just for the sake of it?
>

> Will

Dennis Pack

Charlie:
Before x64 was released using CPP builds on a dual boot machine
benchmark tests available at the time were very close (within about 100
points) and the video drivers available in x64 were very slow compared to
the x86 drivers available. But that was comparing apples to apples. At the
same time rendering a video clip on the same machine took 71 minutes in x86
and 51 minutes with x64. I gave up on benchmark tests because were slanted
towards different areas, some AMD vs P4 or ATI vs NVidia.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...