Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > OLE Registration Not Working in XP Pro 64bit?

OLE Registration Not Working in XP Pro 64bit?

=?Utf-8?B?bG92ZXdhdGVy?=

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Recently I noticed that I was unable to send "via right click" images
displayed in IE to a mail client message of the same machine. IE would return
an error saying that "This document cannot be sent as email, would you like
to send a shortcut instead?" In all cases, if I select yes, it asks the
message again, then the behavior listed below occurs.

If I use IE 32bit, and select yes, a shortcut is pasted to blank email
message, with Outlook indicating "Outlook has blocked access to the
potentially unsafe attachments: attachment_name." Yet, it shows the URL
shortcut in an email message. If I select no, nothing happens, as probably
should be.

If I use IE 64bit, and select yes or no, the system attempts to install
Outlook Express with an "Internet Connection Wizard" window.

I checked Outlook 2003 and found that the mail format message default is to
use MS Word (found in Outlook under Tools, Options, Mail Format.) However, if
I tried to create a new email message, a word looking format appears and
allows text entry. Upon saving or sending the message, MS Word returns the
following error message “Interface Not Registered”, and hit ok, and then the
following message indicating that an OLE error has occurred.

I have repaired Office, Word, and IE but no change in the status. I have
searched through all of the settings yet without success to find that one
little bit which makes the difference.

There may be two problems here. From a symptoms viewpoint, I cannot use MS
Word to construct emails, and I cannot start or create an email message by
pasting or passing an object from IE.

I am not sure how to check if the OLE registration process was successful
for MS Word and Outlook and IE, even though I have run repair several times.

I did have Avast AV installed but I have since disabled it. (It could not be
uninstalled.)

Any ideas?

OEM Version of XP Pro 64bit with latest Updates (SP1)
Small Business Office Suite 2003
Dell Dimension XPS 600 w/ 830 Dual Core
1GB RAM
SATA RAID 1 with 250GB Maxtor Drives
NVida 6800 256MB
Ethernet Wired to Router DSL
HP Officejet 5610xi
Maxtor One Touch 300GB on Firewire
DVD-ROM
DVD- Dual Layer Writer
19" LCD 1905 Dell Branded
Wireless mouse and keyboard Dell Branded
Fuzzy dustball next to mouse.

Tony Sperling

Wonder if this isn't your firewall, the default settings will block
everything that you, or the account owner, do not request - so look over
those settings.

Tony. . .

"lovewater" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Recently I noticed that I was unable to send "via right click" images
> displayed in IE to a mail client message of the same machine. IE would
> return
> an error saying that "This document cannot be sent as email, would you
> like
> to send a shortcut instead?" In all cases, if I select yes, it asks the
> message again, then the behavior listed below occurs.
>
> If I use IE 32bit, and select yes, a shortcut is pasted to blank email
> message, with Outlook indicating "Outlook has blocked access to the
> potentially unsafe attachments: attachment_name." Yet, it shows the URL
> shortcut in an email message. If I select no, nothing happens, as probably
> should be.
>
> If I use IE 64bit, and select yes or no, the system attempts to install
> Outlook Express with an "Internet Connection Wizard" window.
>
> I checked Outlook 2003 and found that the mail format message default is
> use MS Word (found in Outlook under Tools, Options, Mail Format.) However,
> if
> I tried to create a new email message, a word looking format appears and
> allows text entry. Upon saving or sending the message, MS Word returns the
> following error message "Interface Not Registered", and hit ok, and then
> the
> following message indicating that an OLE error has occurred.
>
> I have repaired Office, Word, and IE but no change in the status. I have
> searched through all of the settings yet without success to find that one
> little bit which makes the difference.
>
> There may be two problems here. From a symptoms viewpoint, I cannot use MS
> Word to construct emails, and I cannot start or create an email message by
> pasting or passing an object from IE.
>
> I am not sure how to check if the OLE registration process was successful
> for MS Word and Outlook and IE, even though I have run repair several
> times.
>
> I did have Avast AV installed but I have since disabled it. (It could not
> be
> uninstalled.)
>
> Any ideas?

> OEM Version of XP Pro 64bit with latest Updates (SP1)
> Small Business Office Suite 2003
> Dell Dimension XPS 600 w/ 830 Dual Core
> 1GB RAM
> SATA RAID 1 with 250GB Maxtor Drives
> NVida 6800 256MB
> Ethernet Wired to Router DSL
> HP Officejet 5610xi
> Maxtor One Touch 300GB on Firewire
> DVD-ROM
> DVD- Dual Layer Writer
> 19" LCD 1905 Dell Branded
> Wireless mouse and keyboard Dell Branded
> Fuzzy dustball next to mouse.

=?Utf-8?B?bG92ZXdhdGVy?=

Thanks.... but I don't have the Nvida Firewall loaded, and as for the MS
Firewall, I am using the default Admin account. I did check the MS Firewall
and saw nothing that would indicate that OLE registration would be blocked on
the local computer for the admin.

"Tony Sperling" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > I am not sure how to check if the OLE registration process was successful
> > for MS Word and Outlook and IE, even though I have run repair several
> > times.
> >
> > I did have Avast AV installed but I have since disabled it. (It could not
> > be
> > uninstalled.)
> >
> > Any ideas?

> > OEM Version of XP Pro 64bit with latest Updates (SP1)
> > Small Business Office Suite 2003
> > Dell Dimension XPS 600 w/ 830 Dual Core
> > 1GB RAM
> > SATA RAID 1 with 250GB Maxtor Drives
> > NVida 6800 256MB
> > Ethernet Wired to Router DSL
> > HP Officejet 5610xi
> > Maxtor One Touch 300GB on Firewire
> > DVD-ROM
> > DVD- Dual Layer Writer
> > 19" LCD 1905 Dell Branded
> > Wireless mouse and keyboard Dell Branded

Colin Barnhorst

There is a known issue with the nVidia firewall that has been discussed here
often. Even if you choose not to install the firewall a piece of it gets
installed anyway. The resolution is to install the firewall so the
uninstaller can see it and then uninstall the firewall. The uninstaller
then removes even the piece that was installed. This may not be your
problem, but it is worth trying.

> [...]
>> > for MS Word and Outlook and IE, even though I have run repair several
>> > times.
>> >
>> > I did have Avast AV installed but I have since disabled it. (It could
>> > not
>> > be
>> > uninstalled.)
>> >
>> > Any ideas?
>> >
>> > ********************************************
>> > OEM Version of XP Pro 64bit with latest Updates (SP1)
>> > Small Business Office Suite 2003
>> > Dell Dimension XPS 600 w/ 830 Dual Core
>> > 1GB RAM
>> > SATA RAID 1 with 250GB Maxtor Drives
>> > NVida 6800 256MB
>> > Ethernet Wired to Router DSL
>> > HP Officejet 5610xi
>> > Maxtor One Touch 300GB on Firewire
>> > DVD-ROM
>> > DVD- Dual Layer Writer
>> > 19" LCD 1905 Dell Branded
>> > Wireless mouse and keyboard Dell Branded

I can't be sure, it could be the Firewall setting for that other account -
and for you to be able to send e-mail across, you need to have some sort of
local network set up, right? So, I was suspecting that the Firewall is
blocking that connection together with your default internet connection. You
might have to set up some 'profiles' for the Firewall, or whatever they call
it, these days. Settings that targets each of the accounts separately.

And no, I wasn't thinking specifically about the nVidia Firewall, if that is
it, it can play havoc even though you did not install it, the proper way to
get rid of that issue (if that is it) is to Install the Firewall, and the
Un-install it. It's, what you'd call a bug in the early versions of that
thing. Apparently, not everybody is affected.

> [...]

>> > for MS Word and Outlook and IE, even though I have run repair several
>> > times.
>> >
>> > I did have Avast AV installed but I have since disabled it. (It could
>> > not
>> > be
>> > uninstalled.)
>> >
>> > Any ideas?
>> >
>> > ********************************************
>> > OEM Version of XP Pro 64bit with latest Updates (SP1)
>> > Small Business Office Suite 2003
>> > Dell Dimension XPS 600 w/ 830 Dual Core
>> > 1GB RAM
>> > SATA RAID 1 with 250GB Maxtor Drives
>> > NVida 6800 256MB
>> > Ethernet Wired to Router DSL
>> > HP Officejet 5610xi
>> > Maxtor One Touch 300GB on Firewire
>> > DVD-ROM
>> > DVD- Dual Layer Writer
>> > 19" LCD 1905 Dell Branded
>> > Wireless mouse and keyboard Dell Branded

Alexis

lovewater,

i have the same problem. "Interface Not Registered"
i diselected MS word in Mail format to be able to work with emails which
images.
alexis

"lovewater" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Recently I noticed that I was unable to send "via right click" images
> displayed in IE to a mail client message of the same machine. IE would
> return
> an error saying that "This document cannot be sent as email, would you
> like
> to send a shortcut instead?" In all cases, if I select yes, it asks the
> message again, then the behavior listed below occurs.
>
> If I use IE 32bit, and select yes, a shortcut is pasted to blank email
> message, with Outlook indicating "Outlook has blocked access to the
> potentially unsafe attachments: attachment_name." Yet, it shows the URL
> shortcut in an email message. If I select no, nothing happens, as probably
> should be.
>
> If I use IE 64bit, and select yes or no, the system attempts to install
> Outlook Express with an "Internet Connection Wizard" window.
>
> I checked Outlook 2003 and found that the mail format message default is
> use MS Word (found in Outlook under Tools, Options, Mail Format.) However,
> if
> I tried to create a new email message, a word looking format appears and
> allows text entry. Upon saving or sending the message, MS Word returns the
> following error message "Interface Not Registered", and hit ok, and then
> the
> following message indicating that an OLE error has occurred.
>
> I have repaired Office, Word, and IE but no change in the status. I have
> searched through all of the settings yet without success to find that one
> little bit which makes the difference.
>
> There may be two problems here. From a symptoms viewpoint, I cannot use MS
> Word to construct emails, and I cannot start or create an email message by
> pasting or passing an object from IE.
>
> I am not sure how to check if the OLE registration process was successful
> for MS Word and Outlook and IE, even though I have run repair several
> times.
>
> I did have Avast AV installed but I have since disabled it. (It could not
> be
> uninstalled.)
>
> Any ideas?

> OEM Version of XP Pro 64bit with latest Updates (SP1)
> Small Business Office Suite 2003
> Dell Dimension XPS 600 w/ 830 Dual Core
> 1GB RAM
> SATA RAID 1 with 250GB Maxtor Drives
> NVida 6800 256MB
> Ethernet Wired to Router DSL
> HP Officejet 5610xi
> Maxtor One Touch 300GB on Firewire
> DVD-ROM
> DVD- Dual Layer Writer
> 19" LCD 1905 Dell Branded
> Wireless mouse and keyboard Dell Branded
> Fuzzy dustball next to mouse.

=?Utf-8?B?bG92ZXdhdGVy?=

Ok... I did install, and then uninstall the firewall. No joy... It didn't
seem to change anything, except to remove the "Armour" function of the
firewall. Perhaps that will keep me from finding the next problem.

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> There is a known issue with the nVidia firewall that has been discussed here
> often. Even if you choose not to install the firewall a piece of it gets
> installed anyway. The resolution is to install the firewall so the
> uninstaller can see it and then uninstall the firewall. The uninstaller
> then removes even the piece that was installed. This may not be your
> problem, but it is worth trying.

> "lovewater" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks.... but I don't have the Nvida Firewall loaded, and as for the MS
> > Firewall, I am using the default Admin account. I did check the MS
> > Firewall
> > and saw nothing that would indicate that OLE registration would be blocked
> > on
> > the local computer for the admin.
> >
> > "Tony Sperling" wrote:
> >
> >> Wonder if this isn't your firewall, the default settings will block
> >> everything that you, or the account owner, do not request - so look over
> >> those settings.
> >>
> >> Tony. . .
> >>

> >> "lovewater" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

=?Utf-8?B?bG92ZXdhdGVy?=

Actually, I did not think that the firewall was the problem since the image
that I attempted to send to Outlook was already displayed in the IE window,
and hence, already sitting on my computer. In any case, I have installed,
uninstalled the NVidia firewall, and it did not make any difference to this
problem.

Thanks though.

"Tony Sperling" wrote:

> I can't be sure, it could be the Firewall setting for that other account -
> and for you to be able to send e-mail across, you need to have some sort of
> local network set up, right? So, I was suspecting that the Firewall is
> blocking that connection together with your default internet connection. You
> might have to set up some 'profiles' for the Firewall, or whatever they call
> it, these days. Settings that targets each of the accounts separately.
>
> And no, I wasn't thinking specifically about the nVidia Firewall, if that is
> it, it can play havoc even though you did not install it, the proper way to
> get rid of that issue (if that is it) is to Install the Firewall, and the
> Un-install it. It's, what you'd call a bug in the early versions of that
> thing. Apparently, not everybody is affected.
>

> Tony. . .
>

> "lovewater" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks.... but I don't have the Nvida Firewall loaded, and as for the MS
> > Firewall, I am using the default Admin account. I did check the MS
> > Firewall
> > and saw nothing that would indicate that OLE registration would be blocked
> > on
> > the local computer for the admin.
> >
> > "Tony Sperling" wrote:
> >
> >> Wonder if this isn't your firewall, the default settings will block
> >> everything that you, or the account owner, do not request - so look over
> >> those settings.
> >>
> >> Tony. . .
> >>

> >> "lovewater" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

=?Utf-8?B?bG92ZXdhdGVy?=

Acutally, if I deselect MS Word in Outlook, only a shortcut appears and not
the graphic image itself.

"Alexis" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > I am not sure how to check if the OLE registration process was successful
> > for MS Word and Outlook and IE, even though I have run repair several
> > times.
> >
> > I did have Avast AV installed but I have since disabled it. (It could not
> > be
> > uninstalled.)
> >
> > Any ideas?

> > OEM Version of XP Pro 64bit with latest Updates (SP1)
> > Small Business Office Suite 2003
> > Dell Dimension XPS 600 w/ 830 Dual Core
> > 1GB RAM
> > SATA RAID 1 with 250GB Maxtor Drives
> > NVida 6800 256MB
> > Ethernet Wired to Router DSL
> > HP Officejet 5610xi
> > Maxtor One Touch 300GB on Firewire
> > DVD-ROM
> > DVD- Dual Layer Writer
> > 19" LCD 1905 Dell Branded
> > Wireless mouse and keyboard Dell Branded

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

"Interface not registered" is a well known issue.
http://support.microsoft.com/default...23120121120120
To fix it, just run the following command
regsvr32 ole32.dll
No reboot needed.
That should fix it.
Carlos

Ole ole Patrick.O.Ige ASP .Net 0 07-16-2006 08:10 AM
OLE Registration ICee Computer Support 1 08-02-2004 03:47 PM
OLE registration Neil Greenough Computer Support 0 08-02-2004 12:45 PM
Creating an OLE server document in Python (MFC/OLE/COM/Python newbie) Drew Pihera Python 0 02-04-2004 07:48 PM
Win32::OLE adding shape to OLE Object (xlsheet) in PPT Lance Hoffmeyer Perl Misc 0 11-17-2003 07:44 PM

Advertisments