Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > x64 downgrade to x86 - HOW?

x64 downgrade to x86 - HOW?

=?Utf-8?B?RHVmZiBCcm93bmU=?=

Forgive me if this has been discussed - I am remorsefully seeing that I
didn't research enough this question of x64 or "regular" Server 2003. We are
seeing that there are too many applications/drivers/etc. that aren't up to
the x64 pace yet. Is it ugly if I take our nice domain controllers and other
servers (well, there's really only 3 servers) and convert them to the regular
flavor of Server 2003?

How can I do this without thoroughly disrupting our entire organization? Is
it just a simple "upgrade" to the plain Server 2003, or do I need to wipe
each system disk clean and install from scratch? HELP!!

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

No downgrade or upgrade to x64 from 32 bit Windows, clean install.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Duff Browne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Forgive me if this has been discussed - I am remorsefully seeing that I
> didn't research enough this question of x64 or "regular" Server 2003. We
> are
> seeing that there are too many applications/drivers/etc. that aren't up to
> the x64 pace yet. Is it ugly if I take our nice domain controllers and
> other
> servers (well, there's really only 3 servers) and convert them to the
> regular
> flavor of Server 2003?
>
> How can I do this without thoroughly disrupting our entire organization?
> Is
> it just a simple "upgrade" to the plain Server 2003, or do I need to wipe
> each system disk clean and install from scratch? HELP!!

=?Utf-8?B?RHVmZiBCcm93bmU=?=

Sorry - I wasn't clear enough... The servers are already running 2003 x64,
and I (we) would like to downgrade them to be just plain Server 2003.

"Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:

> No downgrade or upgrade to x64 from 32 bit Windows, clean install.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "Duff Browne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Forgive me if this has been discussed - I am remorsefully seeing that I
> > didn't research enough this question of x64 or "regular" Server 2003. We
> > are
> > seeing that there are too many applications/drivers/etc. that aren't up to
> > the x64 pace yet. Is it ugly if I take our nice domain controllers and
> > other
> > servers (well, there's really only 3 servers) and convert them to the
> > regular
> > flavor of Server 2003?
> >
> > How can I do this without thoroughly disrupting our entire organization?
> > Is
> > it just a simple "upgrade" to the plain Server 2003, or do I need to wipe
> > each system disk clean and install from scratch? HELP!!

Rick

Same advice applies, no downgrade from x64 to 32-bit - must do a clean
install.

Duff Browne wrote:
> Sorry - I wasn't clear enough... The servers are already running 2003 x64,
> and I (we) would like to downgrade them to be just plain Server 2003.
>
> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
>
>> No downgrade or upgrade to x64 from 32 bit Windows, clean install.
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "Duff Browne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Forgive me if this has been discussed - I am remorsefully seeing that I
>>> didn't research enough this question of x64 or "regular" Server 2003. We
>>> are
>>> seeing that there are too many applications/drivers/etc. that aren't up to
>>> the x64 pace yet. Is it ugly if I take our nice domain controllers and
>>> other
>>> servers (well, there's really only 3 servers) and convert them to the
>>> regular
>>> flavor of Server 2003?
>>>
>>> How can I do this without thoroughly disrupting our entire organization?
>>> Is
>>> it just a simple "upgrade" to the plain Server 2003, or do I need to wipe
>>> each system disk clean and install from scratch? HELP!!

Charlie Russel - MVP

Fresh, clean install. No upgrade or downgrade between 64-bit and 32-bit is
possible.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64