Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > I think its time...

I think its time...

Ralf Krause

I just want to say that I love x64. My system runs perfectly with any of my
software choices. This includes 3dsmax 6-8, CS2(excluding Acrobat !
),Office 2003, and WOW I havent had a single crash since i bought the
system. Machines runs with raid and dual core processor, and even the A3
printer works like a charm. Once the the software switches totally to 64 bit
its going to be even more awsome. Thank you Microsoft and any other vendors
that start supporting x64.

Ralf

Mike Gleason Jr Couturier

> I just want to say that I love x64. My system runs perfectly with any of
my
> software choices.

I'm glad there is some positive comments,
I'll buy a new 64-bit system soon so I'm less worried
(But I'm still doing my homeworks)

Anyone has the Asus K8N-DL ?

Mike

Homer J. Simpson

>I just want to say that I love x64. My system runs perfectly with any of my
>software choices. This includes 3dsmax 6-8, CS2(excluding Acrobat !
> ),Office 2003, and WOW I havent had a single crash since i bought the
>system. Machines runs with raid and dual core processor, and even the A3
>printer works like a charm. Once the the software switches totally to 64
>bit its going to be even more awsome. Thank you Microsoft and any other
>vendors that start supporting x64.
>
> Ralf

Please...tell that to those who come here only to vent and claim Win64 was
rushed.

John Barnes

Not rushed. Stable system. Unfortunately released as a 5th class product.
Microsoft has done NOTHING to encourage an installed base which would
encourage vendors to support it with software and hardware.
Microsoft hardware - NOT supported. OEM only. TAP a disaster, both as to
delivery, and early expiration, before virtually any drivers were available.
Even when a builder installs it, it is usually recommended against or XP Pro
is recommended, and try to get any support if anything has been added to the
computer, hardware or software.
Andre and Charlie have clearly outlined the target users, and there would be
fewer venters if it were required reading, viewing before the system could
be purchased. Then again there will always be complainers, especially if it
requires more effort than using the power switch.

news:%23wAuE$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I just want to say that I love x64. My system runs perfectly with any of
> >my software choices. This includes 3dsmax 6-8, CS2(excluding Acrobat !
> > ),Office 2003, and WOW I havent had a single crash since i bought
> >the system. Machines runs with raid and dual core processor, and even the
> >A3 printer works like a charm. Once the the software switches totally to
> >64 bit its going to be even more awsome. Thank you Microsoft and any
> >other vendors that start supporting x64.
>>
>> Ralf

> Please...tell that to those who come here only to vent and claim Win64 was
> rushed.

Robert Boers

Mike Gleason Jr Couturier wrote:
[...]
> Anyone has the Asus K8N-DL ?

Yes, we do, with two Opteron 270 dual cores. Very nice system. We run
our emulator products on it.

Regards, Robert
www.softresint.com

Colin Barnhorst

They also released it in the Spring, which instantly sent a message to
vendors, "This would not be a good Christmas present or back to school
item." So the vendors left it on the back burner.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Not rushed. Stable system. Unfortunately released as a 5th class
> product. Microsoft has done NOTHING to encourage an installed base which
> would encourage vendors to support it with software and hardware.
> Microsoft hardware - NOT supported. OEM only. TAP a disaster, both as to
> delivery, and early expiration, before virtually any drivers were
> available.
> Even when a builder installs it, it is usually recommended against or XP
> Pro is recommended, and try to get any support if anything has been added
> to the computer, hardware or software.
> Andre and Charlie have clearly outlined the target users, and there would
> be fewer venters if it were required reading, viewing before the system
> could be purchased. Then again there will always be complainers,
> especially if it requires more effort than using the power switch.
>
> "Homer J. Simpson" <root@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> news:%23wAuE$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I just want to say that I love x64. My system runs perfectly with any of
>> >my software choices. This includes 3dsmax 6-8, CS2(excluding Acrobat !
>> > ),Office 2003, and WOW I havent had a single crash since i bought
>> >the system. Machines runs with raid and dual core processor, and even
>> >the A3 printer works like a charm. Once the the software switches
>> >totally to 64 bit its going to be even more awsome. Thank you Microsoft
>> >and any other vendors that start supporting x64.
>>>
>>> Ralf

>> Please...tell that to those who come here only to vent and claim Win64
>> was rushed.

Homer J. Simpson

> They also released it in the Spring, which instantly sent a message to
> vendors, "This would not be a good Christmas present or back to school
> item." So the vendors left it on the back burner.

From my perspective...How quickly did NT 3.1 get adopted? The 32-bit
machines had been out for years before anyone moved to it. NT never really
took off until 4.0.

So, I'm not expecting a tremendous amount of activity initially for the 32-
to 64-bit transition either.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

But the engine started at 3.5.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

news:efP$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> They also released it in the Spring, which instantly sent a message to
>> vendors, "This would not be a good Christmas present or back to school
>> item." So the vendors left it on the back burner.

> From my perspective...How quickly did NT 3.1 get adopted? The 32-bit
> machines had been out for years before anyone moved to it. NT never
> really took off until 4.0.
>
> So, I'm not expecting a tremendous amount of activity initially for the
> 32- to 64-bit transition either.

Mercury

I have an A8N-E and am thrilled with it. It went together perfectly, no
missing drivers, runs like a dream and has a better upgrade path than the K8
series. Totally stable, cool (34c proc and mobo is typical with 21c
ambient), and I'll even toss in 'low power' which makes a Huge difference. I
have an Antec Phantom PSU driving it and I don't know if the fan has ever
spun as the PSU gets only just warm enough to feel.

The config includes RAID 1 on 2 x seagate 250GB discs - the noisiest part of
the system.

I use the system for s/w dev (VS.Net 2005 etc) and dual boot to XP MCE.

Performance wise it is noticably faster running 64 bit in nearly all
activities.

Call me a fan if you wish, but compared to the predecessor P4 2.8 system
which had many bios, ram, heat, and so noise issues all imposing extra costs
and delays (to stability and usability) when acquired, the A8N / Athlon 64
bit system is a dream

I have little doubt that a K8 system would compare well on many of those
fronts as it is a mature design, uses low heat CPU's, and are reportedly
quick. There is a better upgrade path now for the K8's than there used to
be.

HTH

"Mike Gleason Jr Couturier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I just want to say that I love x64. My system runs perfectly with any of

> my
>> software choices.

> I'm glad there is some positive comments,
> I'll buy a new 64-bit system soon so I'm less worried
> (But I'm still doing my homeworks)
>
> Anyone has the Asus K8N-DL ?
>
> Mike

Mercury