Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Mac rejects logon - XP 64 bit related?

Mac rejects logon - XP 64 bit related?

Dennis Gordon

We're mainly a PC office. Not that common for a design shop. We have a
couple of Macs for incoming client files. The Macs are on our WS2003
network using Dave (which works better than the native OSX method). One of
the Macs was set up with a password. Since I don't need to access it very
often, I'm not sure when this happened, but I can't log on to the Mac while
running 64 bit. Normally you can type any user name into the query box and
the password and you're in. Tonight nothing works. I booted into XP Pro and
got right in... it didn't even challenge me, which is strange, because I've
always needed to give the password for the first visit. XP Pro remembers. In
64 bit the Mac will not let me in. Not that big a deal, since I can save
from the Mac, but I'm wondering if this might be an issue with XP 64 bit. I
have no idea where to look for a solution. Any suggestions? Thanks...

Dennis Gordon

Oh, and I did try installing/uninstalling the Nvidia firewal to see if that
would affect it, which it didn't...

"Dennis Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> We're mainly a PC office. Not that common for a design shop. We have a
> couple of Macs for incoming client files. The Macs are on our WS2003
> network using Dave (which works better than the native OSX method). One of
> the Macs was set up with a password. Since I don't need to access it very
> often, I'm not sure when this happened, but I can't log on to the Mac
> while running 64 bit. Normally you can type any user name into the query
> box and the password and you're in. Tonight nothing works. I booted into
> XP Pro and got right in... it didn't even challenge me, which is strange,
> because I've always needed to give the password for the first visit. XP
> Pro remembers. In 64 bit the Mac will not let me in. Not that big a deal,
> since I can save from the Mac, but I'm wondering if this might be an issue
> with XP 64 bit. I have no idea where to look for a solution. Any
> suggestions? Thanks...

Colin Barnhorst

That fix would affect how x64 gets on a network, but not the Macs.
Certainly not a bad try, though.

"Dennis Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eS%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Oh, and I did try installing/uninstalling the Nvidia firewal to see if
> that would affect it, which it didn't...
>
> "Dennis Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> We're mainly a PC office. Not that common for a design shop. We have a
>> couple of Macs for incoming client files. The Macs are on our WS2003
>> network using Dave (which works better than the native OSX method). One
>> of the Macs was set up with a password. Since I don't need to access it
>> very often, I'm not sure when this happened, but I can't log on to the
>> Mac while running 64 bit. Normally you can type any user name into the
>> query box and the password and you're in. Tonight nothing works. I booted
>> into XP Pro and got right in... it didn't even challenge me, which is
>> strange, because I've always needed to give the password for the first
>> visit. XP Pro remembers. In 64 bit the Mac will not let me in. Not that
>> big a deal, since I can save from the Mac, but I'm wondering if this
>> might be an issue with XP 64 bit. I have no idea where to look for a
>> solution. Any suggestions? Thanks...

Dennis Gordon

Upon further review... the problem seems to be with the Mac. I can't make a
new connection from any other machine I've tried. Only existing users are
able to get in. I don't think it's a matter of too many users, since only
about 8 machines ever access it, but it doesn't look like it has anything to
do with my machine...