Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Outlook Express

Outlook Express

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

I use Outlook anyway.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Wayne, I'm glad you haven't had problems. But I'd be very careful about
> suggesting this as an alternative, since it did cause data corruption
> problems in beta, which is why 32-bit OE was pulled. And why Darrell was
> very clear that this is a bad idea. Personally, that's good enough for me,
> and I'll happily live without spell checking in OE. It's not all that hard
> to work around.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Wayne Wastier wrote:
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> -snip-.
>>>
>>> I do not recommend trying to bypass this by using the suggestion from
>>> Wayne. There are good reasons why there isn't a 32-bit version of OE
>>> included in x64 Edition, and the MS folks on this forum have strongly
>>> suggested that there could be data integrity issues with the use of
>>> 32-bit OE.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Charlie.

>> I read that as well. But, I never had any problems doing this. It may
>> have to do with their systems, their anti-virus programs or some such.
>> Never had a single issue doing this. Of course, I never click on links
>> in sites to use OE to email something. I only email people I know, or
>> businesses that I know their email address, and do that directly from OE.
>> I am only speculating here, as I wrote, I NEVER had a problem doing this.
>>

>> Wayne

Wayne Wastier

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If trying it corrupts the OE data files, some folks might think that was
> unacceptable. I certainly would.
>
> --
> Charlie.

I have never seen this. Why would I be exempt? I really need more info on
this bug. If XP x64 were still in beta, I could show that this bug does NOT
exist.

Wayne

Wayne Wastier

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Wayne, I'm glad you haven't had problems. But I'd be very careful about
> suggesting this as an alternative, since it did cause data corruption
> problems in beta, which is why 32-bit OE was pulled. And why Darrell was
> very clear that this is a bad idea. Personally, that's good enough for me,
> and I'll happily live without spell checking in OE. It's not all that hard
> to work around.
>
> --
> Charlie.

Charles, would you do me a favor and try this on a test bed system yourself,
and see if you can repro this bug?

Thanks,
Wayne

Charlie Russel - MVP

Don't have one I can toast right now, but should have in a week or two. When
I do, I'll try it.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Wayne Wastier wrote:
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Wayne, I'm glad you haven't had problems. But I'd be very careful about
>> suggesting this as an alternative, since it did cause data corruption
>> problems in beta, which is why 32-bit OE was pulled. And why Darrell was
>> very clear that this is a bad idea. Personally, that's good enough for
>> me, and I'll happily live without spell checking in OE. It's not all
>> that hard to work around.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.

> Charles, would you do me a favor and try this on a test bed system
> yourself, and see if you can repro this bug?
>

> Thanks,
> Wayne

Wayne Wastier

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Don't have one I can toast right now, but should have in a week or two.
> When I do, I'll try it.
>
> --
> Charlie.

Thanks. I will send you some more data by private email.

Wayne

Doug McIntosh

Thanks to all for the help. I think I'll just use word to spell check and
wait till new office is out.
doug
"Doug McIntosh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> Outlook Express 6 spelling checker does not work. Does anyone have any
> ideas what to do? Yes the options is turn on in Outlook.
> --
> doug

Charlie Russel - MVP

That's what I do.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Doug McIntosh wrote:
> Thanks to all for the help. I think I'll just use word to spell check and
> wait till new office is out.
> doug
> "Doug McIntosh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> Outlook Express 6 spelling checker does not work. Does anyone have any
>> ideas what to do? Yes the options is turn on in Outlook.
>> --
>> doug

James Park

It's been said the problem occurs if you run the 32-bit and 64-bit versions
at the same time.

"Wayne Wastier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If trying it corrupts the OE data files, some folks might think that was
>> unacceptable. I certainly would.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.

> I have never seen this. Why would I be exempt? I really need more info
> on this bug. If XP x64 were still in beta, I could show that this bug
> does NOT exist.
>

> Wayne

Wayne Wastier

"James Park" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It's been said the problem occurs if you run the 32-bit and 64-bit
> versions at the same time.

Yes, that is what I heard too. However, I was unable to duplicate that bug.

Wayne

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Wayne,
I explained this problem to you several times already both in the
newsgroups and in private email.
The problem is when both versions of Outlook Express are running at the
same time. That can and will cause a fault shutting down all instances of
Outlook Express that are running. That is not a good thing. I have reproed
this myself, thus the change to only ship 64-bit Outlook Express and to
throw up the warnings.
Telling people to do this is not a good solution, they can and will have
problems.
You are also running different versions of the dlls, some from XP some from
Windows Server 2003 so the file versions are not matched or tested in that
configuration, nor are they likely to be.
It's just a very bad situation to put someone in or to tell someone to try.
What may appear to work for a period of time may in fact cause problems at
some point and may cause some risks to some people. While you may want to
assume the risks, not every may want to or be aware of all the risks.
Please don't be telling people to do this. This is a non-supported scenario