Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Outlook Express

Reply
Thread Tools

Outlook Express

 
 
Doug McIntosh
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-16-2005

Outlook Express 6 spelling checker does not work. Does anyone have any
ideas what to do? Yes the options is turn on in Outlook.
--
doug


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Wayne Wastier
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-16-2005

"Doug McIntosh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Outlook Express 6 spelling checker does not work. Does anyone have any
> ideas what to do? Yes the options is turn on in Outlook.
> --
> doug
>
>


Doug, are you mutli-booting, or do you have access to a computer running XP
Pro SP2 with all the updates installed? If so, copy the entire contents of
Outlook Express from the XP SP2 drive to a folder in XP Pro x64's Program
Files (x86)\OE-32bit (you can name the OE-32 bit folder anything you
want, just don't try to copy it to the Outlook Express directory as the
files will be replaced by the OS right after you attempt to do that.) Now,
create link to the OE exec file on your desktop, and run the program from
there. You will see that spell check now works.


Wayne
P.S. Use at your own risk as this process is not supported, and actually
discouraged by some.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Andre Da Costa [Extended64]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-16-2005
Thats because the Office spell checker is 32-bit and Outlook Express is
64-bit, you have wait until Office has native 64 bit version. I suggest
using an alternative such as Mozilla Thunderbird or spell checking your
e-mail messages in Microsoft Word.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm

"Doug McIntosh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Outlook Express 6 spelling checker does not work. Does anyone have any
> ideas what to do? Yes the options is turn on in Outlook.
> --
> doug
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
John Barnes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-16-2005
Office beta is coming in a few weeks. Guess we will find out if they work
together, or will it be like the Intellimouse programmers who don't care
about the x64 system.


"Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thats because the Office spell checker is 32-bit and Outlook Express is
> 64-bit, you have wait until Office has native 64 bit version. I suggest
> using an alternative such as Mozilla Thunderbird or spell checking your
> e-mail messages in Microsoft Word.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
> Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
> http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
> FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
>
> "Doug McIntosh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> Outlook Express 6 spelling checker does not work. Does anyone have any
>> ideas what to do? Yes the options is turn on in Outlook.
>> --
>> doug
>>
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Andre Da Costa [Extended64]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-16-2005
Yeah, I read in an issue of PC World back in February that the Office Team
has native 64-bit version in development. It could very well be true,
especially with the recent decision to move major products such as Exchange
12 (which is a part of the Office System) to 64 bit exclusively. I don't see
how certain apps would benefit from it though. I see, Excel, Access and
PowerPoint probably benefitting the most.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm

"John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Office beta is coming in a few weeks. Guess we will find out if they work
> together, or will it be like the Intellimouse programmers who don't care
> about the x64 system.
>
>
> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thats because the Office spell checker is 32-bit and Outlook Express is
>> 64-bit, you have wait until Office has native 64 bit version. I suggest
>> using an alternative such as Mozilla Thunderbird or spell checking your
>> e-mail messages in Microsoft Word.
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>> Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
>> http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
>> FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
>>
>> "Doug McIntosh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> Outlook Express 6 spelling checker does not work. Does anyone have any
>>> ideas what to do? Yes the options is turn on in Outlook.
>>> --
>>> doug
>>>
>>>

>>
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-16-2005
You are correct, it doesn't work. Nor will it, given that OE is 64 bit, and
Office is still 32-bit. A 64 bit application can't call a 32-bit DLL. Once
we have a 64-bit Office, this should fix the problem.

I do not recommend trying to bypass this by using the suggestion from Wayne.
There are good reasons why there isn't a 32-bit version of OE included in
x64 Edition, and the MS folks on this forum have strongly suggested that
there could be data integrity issues with the use of 32-bit OE.


--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Doug McIntosh wrote:
> Outlook Express 6 spelling checker does not work. Does anyone have any
> ideas what to do? Yes the options is turn on in Outlook.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Wayne Wastier
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-16-2005

"Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

-snip-.
>
> I do not recommend trying to bypass this by using the suggestion from
> Wayne. There are good reasons why there isn't a 32-bit version of OE
> included in x64 Edition, and the MS folks on this forum have strongly
> suggested that there could be data integrity issues with the use of 32-bit
> OE.
>
>
> --
> Charlie.


I read that as well. But, I never had any problems doing this. It may have
to do with their systems, their anti-virus programs or some such. Never had
a single issue doing this. Of course, I never click on links in sites to
use OE to email something. I only email people I know, or businesses that I
know their email address, and do that directly from OE. I am only
speculating here, as I wrote, I NEVER had a problem doing this.



Wayne


 
Reply With Quote
 
Wayne Wastier
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-16-2005
P.S. Also, if it does cause problems for someone, all they have to do is
delete the OE-32 folder, and go back to using the 64 bit version of OE, or
some other program. It won't hurt to try it.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-16-2005
If trying it corrupts the OE data files, some folks might think that was
unacceptable. I certainly would.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Wayne Wastier wrote:
> P.S. Also, if it does cause problems for someone, all they have to do is
> delete the OE-32 folder, and go back to using the 64 bit version of OE, or
> some other program. It won't hurt to try it.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-16-2005
Wayne, I'm glad you haven't had problems. But I'd be very careful about
suggesting this as an alternative, since it did cause data corruption
problems in beta, which is why 32-bit OE was pulled. And why Darrell was
very clear that this is a bad idea. Personally, that's good enough for me,
and I'll happily live without spell checking in OE. It's not all that hard
to work around.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Wayne Wastier wrote:
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> -snip-.
>>
>> I do not recommend trying to bypass this by using the suggestion from
>> Wayne. There are good reasons why there isn't a 32-bit version of OE
>> included in x64 Edition, and the MS folks on this forum have strongly
>> suggested that there could be data integrity issues with the use of
>> 32-bit OE.
>>
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.

>
> I read that as well. But, I never had any problems doing this. It may
> have to do with their systems, their anti-virus programs or some such.
> Never had a single issue doing this. Of course, I never click on links
> in sites to use OE to email something. I only email people I know, or
> businesses that I know their email address, and do that directly from OE.
> I am only speculating here, as I wrote, I NEVER had a problem doing this.
>
>
>
> Wayne



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I can't get Outlook Express and XP Pro to play togehter - Outlook Express just doesn't start. Marc Computer Support 5 08-22-2006 10:46 PM
E-Mail Message Transfer MS 95 Outlook to Outlook Express 6 Richard Barton Computer Support 1 07-05-2003 04:10 AM
Re: Outlook vs. Outlook Express rifleman Computer Support 6 06-23-2003 04:24 PM
Re: Outlook vs. Outlook Express Kenneth Marson Computer Support 3 06-21-2003 10:06 PM
Re: Outlook vs. Outlook Express °Mike° Computer Support 0 06-21-2003 06:59 PM



Advertisments