Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > XP64 Windows Update

XP64 Windows Update

Greg Horne

Played with an installation of XP64 on my new machine before giving up due
to some problems with a RAID driver.

However, I also noticed I could never get the Windows Update feature to work
execpt for once, the very first time. Is this feature supposed to work? I
was kind of looking for a bunch of security updates after my initial
install.

Thanks,
Greg

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Which version of Internet Explorer did you attempt to use to acquire the
updates, 32-bit or 64-bit? Try not to use 64-bit since it requires certain
active x controls which might be available. If you used IE 32-Bit and its a
similar issue, what type of chip set are you using? If its by nVidia, its
possible that it could be the nVidia Firewall, you can remove it by
reinstalling the nVidia firewall and then uninstall it.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Greg Horne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Played with an installation of XP64 on my new machine before giving up due
> to some problems with a RAID driver.
>
> However, I also noticed I could never get the Windows Update feature to
> work execpt for once, the very first time. Is this feature supposed to
> work? I was kind of looking for a bunch of security updates after my
> initial install.
>
> Thanks,
> Greg

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Also, Carlos wrote:
Go to: http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.co...en/default.asp
Once in the page choose the Updates for Windows OS's.
Select Windows XP Professional x64 Edition from the next page and follow as
instructed.
In a few secs you'll be shown all patches/updates available.
Happy downloading.
Carlos
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Greg Horne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Played with an installation of XP64 on my new machine before giving up due
> to some problems with a RAID driver.
>
> However, I also noticed I could never get the Windows Update feature to
> work execpt for once, the very first time. Is this feature supposed to
> work? I was kind of looking for a bunch of security updates after my
> initial install.
>
> Thanks,
> Greg

Colin Barnhorst

The updates for x64 have not been nearly as numerous as the ones for x86, so
don't expect to be seeing the same downloads at all. x86 and x64 have very
different code bases.

"Greg Horne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Played with an installation of XP64 on my new machine before giving up due
> to some problems with a RAID driver.
>
> However, I also noticed I could never get the Windows Update feature to
> work execpt for once, the very first time. Is this feature supposed to
> work? I was kind of looking for a bunch of security updates after my
> initial install.
>
> Thanks,
> Greg

Greg Horne

Thanks all for the info. The initial update does seem to have a few patches
but I guess I was just expecting more. Maybe all was well.

I am running an nForce4 chipset with a dual core AMD. I don't recall any
NVIDIA Firewall references during the setup/install.

While on XP64... I am wondering if it really is worth it right now. For
instance, all my applications are 32-bit and I work mainly in
VB.NET/ASP.NET. I suspect there really wouldn't be any speed increases by
just going to XP64... correct assumption?

Thanks,
Greg

"Greg Horne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Played with an installation of XP64 on my new machine before giving up due
> to some problems with a RAID driver.
>
> However, I also noticed I could never get the Windows Update feature to
> work execpt for once, the very first time. Is this feature supposed to
> work? I was kind of looking for a bunch of security updates after my
> initial install.
>
> Thanks,
> Greg

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframewo...4bit/devtools/

I don't think ASP.NET is compatible with x64, VB .Net runs just fine.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Greg Horne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks all for the info. The initial update does seem to have a few
> patches but I guess I was just expecting more. Maybe all was well.
>
> I am running an nForce4 chipset with a dual core AMD. I don't recall any
> NVIDIA Firewall references during the setup/install.
>
> While on XP64... I am wondering if it really is worth it right now. For
> instance, all my applications are 32-bit and I work mainly in
> VB.NET/ASP.NET. I suspect there really wouldn't be any speed increases by
> just going to XP64... correct assumption?
>
> Thanks,
> Greg
>
> "Greg Horne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Played with an installation of XP64 on my new machine before giving up
>> due to some problems with a RAID driver.
>>
>> However, I also noticed I could never get the Windows Update feature to
>> work execpt for once, the very first time. Is this feature supposed to
>> work? I was kind of looking for a bunch of security updates after my
>> initial install.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Greg

Colin Barnhorst

64-bit processors provide more head room and 32-bit apps can benefit from
this. Don't assume the same performance. The nVidia firewall doesn't have
to be fully installed to impact the system. The advice is to install it
anyway and then uninstall it because that will remove all components. It is
counterintuitive, but do it anyway.

"Greg Horne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks all for the info. The initial update does seem to have a few
> patches but I guess I was just expecting more. Maybe all was well.
>
> I am running an nForce4 chipset with a dual core AMD. I don't recall any
> NVIDIA Firewall references during the setup/install.
>
> While on XP64... I am wondering if it really is worth it right now. For
> instance, all my applications are 32-bit and I work mainly in
> VB.NET/ASP.NET. I suspect there really wouldn't be any speed increases by
> just going to XP64... correct assumption?
>
> Thanks,
> Greg
>
> "Greg Horne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Played with an installation of XP64 on my new machine before giving up
>> due to some problems with a RAID driver.
>>
>> However, I also noticed I could never get the Windows Update feature to
>> work execpt for once, the very first time. Is this feature supposed to
>> work? I was kind of looking for a bunch of security updates after my
>> initial install.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Greg

Randy

I got the same basic set (about 12MB) of updates for both XP Pro and Server
2003 (x64) the very first try on each, right after my initial system was
installed/setup (video drivers, GUI my way, mobo, network, & display
drivers, etc.)

I *think* I used the 64-bit version of MSIE, but I played with the 32-bit
version as well for comparison.

I think I updated even before installing my virus scanner and firewall...
got anxious with happy fingers, typing away at old, comforting URLS.
Hehhehheh. I wonder if the OP installed a virus scanner and firewall in a
more proper manner, and one could have caused problems (as somebody has
suggested)...

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> The updates for x64 have not been nearly as numerous as the ones for x86,

so
> don't expect to be seeing the same downloads at all. x86 and x64 have

very
> different code bases.

> "Greg Horne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Played with an installation of XP64 on my new machine before giving up

due
> > to some problems with a RAID driver.
> >
> > However, I also noticed I could never get the Windows Update feature to
> > work execpt for once, the very first time. Is this feature supposed to
> > work? I was kind of looking for a bunch of security updates after my
> > initial install.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Greg

Randy

Colin,

I can't recall which review mentioned it right now, but one or more that I
read said some 32-bit apps actually ran *slower* under 64-bit conditions...
I guess that could be indicative of programming snafus, rather than anything
else. But the speed increase can't be assumed. However, I think the
reliability and overall performance enhancements probably can be, even
without considering 64-bit concepts. At least I would hope so, and it seems
borne out by most of the successful experiences written up in here.

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> 64-bit processors provide more head room and 32-bit apps can benefit from
> this. Don't assume the same performance. The nVidia firewall doesn't

have
> to be fully installed to impact the system. The advice is to install it
> anyway and then uninstall it because that will remove all components. It

is
> counterintuitive, but do it anyway.

> "Greg Horne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks all for the info. The initial update does seem to have a few
> > patches but I guess I was just expecting more. Maybe all was well.
> >
> > I am running an nForce4 chipset with a dual core AMD. I don't recall

any
> > NVIDIA Firewall references during the setup/install.
> >
> > While on XP64... I am wondering if it really is worth it right now. For
> > instance, all my applications are 32-bit and I work mainly in
> > VB.NET/ASP.NET. I suspect there really wouldn't be any speed increases

by
> > just going to XP64... correct assumption?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Greg
> >
> > "Greg Horne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Played with an installation of XP64 on my new machine before giving up
> >> due to some problems with a RAID driver.
> >>
> >> However, I also noticed I could never get the Windows Update feature to
> >> work execpt for once, the very first time. Is this feature supposed to
> >> work? I was kind of looking for a bunch of security updates after my
> >> initial install.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Greg

Colin Barnhorst

Microsoft Update requires the 32-bit edition of IE due to an ActiveX control
that is needed.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...